• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

One Time Pay Hosting

The "one time fee" idea COULD work as a step between 100% free hosting and full blown paid hosting, but I think it comes down to a matter of the buyers doing their homework and weeding out all of the dirtbags, kiddie hosts, and the people who don't know what they're doing. People need to KNOW who they're dealing with. Know the history behind the name and the people you're about to do business with. Know where the servers are, who's in charge of them, what datacenter is used to house them, etc. In addition to that, nobody should be offering any kind of hosting at all unless they have a business model developed to support it. Period. Regardless of whether is it 100% free, one time fee, paid hosting, or whatever.

Maybe you should buy 1timefee.com then, as its still available.

The problem with comparing a one-time fee host with a completely free host, is that most times, there is a huge incentive for the owner to overload the servers as much as possible, make as much money as possible, and then when things get bad, to walk away. Raymond comes to mind, as he is the undisputed king of s*it one-time-pay hosts.

The concept actually is sustainable short-term. If you cram 500 people onto a server, for example, and charge them a one-time $25 fee, you can run a $200/mo. leased server for 5 years. Hell, you can buy your own equipment and just colo it somewhere and make it last even longer than that. Of course, that's assuming you will be making no profit out of the deal.

The problem is that these one-time-host folk don't do that. They have no business sense. They're out to make money and leave. They take the one-time fee money, trash the server, and then sell the company, which makes them even more money.

Using this kind of hosting service will just makes you wonder how they can sustain their operations knowing how pricey maintaining servers are. You can get a hosting that you can pay for a year or two.

Using this kind of hosting service will just makes you wonder how they can sustain their operations knowing how pricey maintaining servers are.

And you don't question that with people who offer 100% free hosting? Logically, wouldn't completely free hosting seem even MORE unsustainable since there's absolutely zero income?

Using this kind of hosting service will just makes you wonder how they can sustain their operations knowing how pricey maintaining servers are. You can get a hosting that you can pay for a year or two.

It IS sustainable, as deeplist and I have said...at least short-term. It's not sustainable forever, that's for sure. The problem is that the "owner" will not make a profit, and you can't have fancy things like paid support staff. It would be impossible.

Like I mention above, you can get a decent $200/mo. server and make it last for several years. You would of course need an entire volunteer staff to support and maintain the servers, etc.

Long-term, it's absolutely not sustainable. Short-term, it is. Better than the one-time pay model would be something like $25 every 5 years. That would make it sustainable, but then it wouldn't be a one-time fee, would it? ;) That would be a $5/year host.

I wouldn't take a one time fee host. They get your cash and simply die after that.

Most likely to be true. You see there is a scheme at which all the hosts work. It is tested for years - monthly or annually billing types. What's he point of making only payment other than being frauded?

you need to see it differend

freehosts works from sponsorships and mostly got a paid option in the backend ( see x10hosting)

1time hosts are mostly on the same way , they are freehosts (mostly offer freehosting to ) with a sh*tload of ads on it and then a 1X fee to remove the ads (suposed to be on a serperate server o_O )

so basicly they are back free hosts with just a 1X fee to get rid of the ads/limits

most of them offer a paid package to ( differend site , same company) to support everything
but then i am talking about a host who knows what he does and got a project in mind to get a fast way to get clients

then a side rule
freehosts and 1timepaid hosts are limited by a big TOS , so they host you for ... 1 month ? and then they kick you for abusing or unless you pay again ofcourse

on that way you feel like you pay only 1X , but basicly you need to pay 5X per month because of "abuse"

to provide a abuse example , you get kicked of a freehost if your contact form get used more then 3X per month ... mass mailing abuse ... as easy as that

so to get back to the point

it depends what you like , do you like quality and a real value for your money ? take then a host taht knows what he does , take a montly paid host as they get paid for what you need

take a freehost to test out stuff and to work other people on there system ( like using ddos scripts ? ) or take a 1X paid host just to see how long he last and to abuse it the same way ?

so it got a good site and a downsite , freehosts and 1X paid hosts can be easy abused , when paid hosts doesnt care what you basicly do , you pay for it and they make sure you do not damage them but allows you all freedom

so to make the story short
1) freehosts has sponsors
2)1X paid hosts are mostly a second business
3) paid host rules , you pay for what you need and be sure that it exist for as long you pay

Greetings From PowerChaos

So far, those 1 time pay hosts are only doing accept payment one time and leave the server die.
From what I see, currently these 1 time pay hosts did not place any forced ads.

I still think you guys are not seeing the whole picture. I think that the 1 time pay model could work, but you're all judging your views on it from past failed attempts. If somebody is planning on starting a new "completely free" host, why not require a one time fee? It would add an extra layer of protection to weed out scammers and spammers because they're typically not going to be willing to pay the fee. Once the customer pays the fee, it would be no different from that point forward than any other comparable free hosting service, right?

I still think you guys are not seeing the whole picture. I think that the 1 time pay model could work, but you're all judging your views on it from past failed attempts. If somebody is planning on starting a new "completely free" host, why not require a one time fee? It would add an extra layer of protection to weed out scammers and spammers because they're typically not going to be willing to pay the fee. Once the customer pays the fee, it would be no different from that point forward than any other comparable free hosting service, right?

We're responding to the fact that proportional scam risks go up once certain kinds of money become involved. At least with free you can "somewhat grumpily" say "oh well" if a host croaks, but if money is involved it raises the stakes into that tough "incompetence or malice?" question. If we restate your question as "a 1 time fee from a 'certified' owner", then yes, we can get down to the economics of it.

Right now, I offer free hosting, but it's only by request and/or invitation. I think that if I was to ever begin a "full blown" free hosting operation, I would probably require a nominal "processing fee" to open an account. This would turn away (in my guess) approx 95% of the fraud and scammers right off the bat because they're typically not willing to drop a dime. The remaining 5% of the "good" clients would then be granted hosting with no further payments required for the duration of the account. It would also be a good way to keep low end people away who just want to sign up for everything and leave a bread crumb trail of dormant content all over the web.

1 time pay host

The concept just doesn't make sense to me if your looking for a product that is actually worthwhile. You get what you pay for and why pay once just to get scammed. IMO I would look into free hosting before I would trust that..

I really worry about one-time payment hosting, because we can't imagine their future and what's happend with their policy. :) Try annually payment or monthly payment 'll cover your hosting better.

One time hosting offers are not reliable. If you are looking for good business from your website then please don't look for one time hosting offers. You will put your business at risk.

Onetime hosting offers just dont make sense I think free hosting with ads or for gaining a lot of potential traffic is a good idea than a onetime hosting it will just end up bad ..

In what way will it harm?

Because most providers that do one time fee, will probably not be around long. No money in = No money to pay server. You see free hosts die all the time. You see paid hosts die all the time. If you can't pay for your servers they will get disconnected so it will harm your business if you host it there.

It's actually quite possible (as I showed in another thread). Of course, it's not going to last "forever" but most people will be gone after a few years. It's not sustainable forever, but is for quite some time. Also depends on how much the one-time fee is.

Back