• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

old shareware versions

ln

I am looking for older versions of some popular freeware/shareware.
I borrowed a laptop and accidentally scratched part of the HD including some program files (mostly free/shareware).
Now I need to reinstall the stuffs that I wiped out (hopefully that'll work). I'd rather just reinstall the exact same old stuffs that used to be on the laptop, and return it, rather than explain why I have to update all the software if I reinstall the newer versions...
Anybody knows where there is an archive of older versions ?
I checked download.com but they seem to have only the latest versions.
Thanks for help.

well, stuffs like cuteftp (version 3.? I'll have to check), a telnet program (ttermpro I don't know the version yet), even a Netscape 4.? (also have to check, wasn't using it), some other programs
I haven't grasped the whole extend of the damages yet. I'm just trying to see right now if I can fix the laptop back to it's previous original state or not.

just type in the name of the program onto a search engine and the version... like cute ftp 3.0 and than the result will list the 3.0 versions of the program. It works, I did it before. Some download sites have still older versions of free/shareware programs...
You won't find older versions on major download sites like download.com, because they upgrade the versions constantly.

yeah I also figured I'd do that, searching for them 1 by 1 on Google. It's quite a chore tho. I wish someone would have built a huge archive site with everything on it...

On a related subject:
If some of the shareware were registered (I don't even know if they were or not, assume they were), where would the registration info be ?
Is it ok if I save the registries (*.DAT files), uninstall what's left of the previous installation, reinstall a fresh copy of the shareware, then just overwrite the registries with the saved .DAT files ? So if the registration info was previously written in the registries that should work right ? Where else would the registration be stored ? If it was on some file in the same program directory then I guess I'm f*cked...
Any suggestion ?

Back