• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Offers longer than 25 rows gets deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
If you post offers to requests here, please keep it short. Starting today, we will delete any offer more than 25 rows (this includes blank lines) long. If you post an offer, only reply with what is being requested, not all the details of your hosting package.

Excellent rule Peo :)

It is much easier for the person trying to find hosting, to compare offers when a couple are in the screen instead of a post covering two pages :)

True - but good un, :applaudin , I think I could recite some of the posts by heart :p

Possibly do a copy of the post in the rules though just to make sure - then there is no excuse.

Might need a few more mods on a voluntary basis to keep up but the weekend will always be the worst.

Dunno if the word filter could be used though - if it picked up a standard copy and paste post (or part of it) it just chucked it to enforce a change in some posters approach :)

Good idea! But how do you know when it is 25 rows long? When you post something, the table is shorter than it is when viewing a message.

Well, stay under 25 rows when you write and you should be safe. :) I doubt people would read 25 rows of text anyway. In my view even 10 rows are plenty to reply to a request. If they are interested in what you offer, they click on your link and go to your website to get all the details.

all that feature crap nobody reads anyways unless they are asking for it. Why advertise that you have ImageMagick, cPanel 9.x.whatever and Squirellmail when no1 asked for it and 90% of hosts offer whatever you do as well? Just admit it, hosts put all that crap to make not-so-advanced buyers feel like they are getting a lot for their buck.

Great Rule.

Another suggestion: If someone asks for 500mb and say 30gb of transfer/month for 10$/month, don't let hosts give them 400mb and 25gb for 13$/month offers. It really pees me off seeing that.

striker, I agree. Web hosts posting offers that don't meet the request break our rules and if we see such posts we remove it. Please use the "Report this post to a moderator" link to report it to us.

I agree with Striker, hosts offering less resources for more than the requested price is disagreeable.

However, I don't disagree with a host or other member pointing out that such a request may not actually cover the costs of running the business as such, and it may be risky for such a deal to be carried through.

Yet, that is merely how I feel about the issue - and if the moderators disagree with me, that's fine :)

25 lines are still alot for a reply.

"I want 8534gb space and 65745785624gb bandwidth with php, 534mysql databases, ftp and pop3 email. who can help?"

Line1: <hosting company name goes here> would like to offer you this:
Line2: <plan name goes here>
Line3: blank
Line4: 8534gb space
Line5: 65745785624gb
Line6: ftp, php
Line7: 534mysql databases
Line8: 5423 pop3 email addresses
Line9: for $4348183 with fries and a coke
Line10: Blank
Line11: If you are interested, contact us at <contact details>

That's more then enough. We dont need to know what fantastico has to offer, we dont need to know every feature in cpanel. I know that i dont read long long long posts (including mine now :S), i read the first few lines then skip the rest.

Another issue is hosts digging up old posts. If someone posted a month ago, i'd say they've found a host otherwise they would have said something. But then again i dont think any mods want to check each message to lock threads a week or two old.

Is it 25 rows in 1024x768 resolution or?

[add] do empty rows count too?

[add2]Now that the left side is larger than the postbit side, can the limit be enlarged to 27-30 rows or something?

25 is the limit still. Yes, 1024x768. Empty rows count. I expect most web hosts to post well within that 25 rows limit. As I've explained a couple of times, posting offers is only intended as a way to reply to requests. If the person requesting info wants more details they can visit the webhosts site.

i just noticed the reputation level, so maybe we can block people with a low reputation from posting in this forum. that way if hosts dont obey the rules, they can get their reputation lowered and eventually wont be able to post anymore. it can also help the user looking for the host to see what the hosts reputation around the forums are. the only down side to this is if someone was searching for a host and they had a low rep, they wouldnt be able to post a request

The Warn & Reputation can be good but Warn should only be used by Mod/Admin & Reputation can be abused so needs to be monitored carefully. Someone can end up with really good or bad rep if it's left open to public use :smash:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back