• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

NT or UNIX? What's the difference

What is the difference between those two. Is it actually about just the same which I choose?

I checked the openhosting.co.uk. They are NT and very low priced...any experiences?

Unix tends to be more stable and cheaper as WinNT is a hardware hog and runs about the same speed on any hardware.

The majority of perl scripts are also written with Unix in mind and it can sometimes be difficult to convert them to work on Windows based Servers - if not impossible.

hmm..

I have been hosted only on UNIX servers. But as I've been searching a good host there were these two NT hosts that were cheap:
Openhosting (as I wrote) and
http://www.internetdesign2000.com/hosting.htm
It's 4,95$/month when I pay one year (don't like that but it looks cheap as it comes with decent package).

But maybe its a safer bet to look for UNIX only.

What's the purpose of your site? Is is a persnoal website or a corporate?

If you have a fairly small personal webbsite or a "simple" corporate website I'd say it doesn't matter what OS your ISP is using. If all your files has the .htm suffix, just look at the price.

But if you want dynamic pages in a way or another then you have to looka at your "hackability". What score does your code get?

I belive you'll be better of asking yourself what you want to do with your site first and when you have (sort of) good answers, THEN choose ISP.

---

Silly post... maybe... but I hope you get the point!

/ jakob

Hello
Personally, I would never host a site on a windows web server, even though I sell Windows web hosting!

Linux is so much better documented and the costs are generally lower.

There is also the easy availability of Perl modules (Blowfish etc) for Linux and Apache which makes development easy and cheap.

In an ideal world I wouldn't sell Windows web hosting at all but people want it so I have to supply it.

Perhaps if I had been brought up on Windows as a desktop operating system it would be more appealing.

Gordon

Back