• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Norton Antivirus 'rant'

CareBear

NLC
NLC
I finally figured out why one of my PC's was spontaniously rebooting every 20-25 days... it was rather annoying since it would only happen while I was away or sleeping and then I had to wait another 20+ days before it happened.
Short reason is that Norton has a memory leak of 1Kb every 3-4 seconds apparantly and - since it comes from the non paged pool - will eventually run out of physical memory and crash the whole OS. :angry2:

Can anyone recommend another virus scanner? :confused:

Norton has been a nightmare on both my computers, even as far back as Norton utilities 3. Many have success with it, but also many have also had problems :confused2 AVG is great :)

Maybe its because I have 512MB RAM.. but I haven't had any problems with Norton AntiVirus... except when I forgot to delete the Scheduled Task of scanning every friday @ 8pm.. for a month it kept crashing my counter-strike on friday @ 8pm.. then i discovered how to delete the scheduled tasks

Doh .. I will now uninstall Norton ... ever since I installed it, my computer took 30 more seconds to startup. :mad:

How about McAfee? Is it better than AVG?

I personally have only used McAfee and I find it's pretty good, doesn't seem to crash anything, but then I never leave my computer on for long periods of time either.

I forgot to mention it's just "Auto Protect" that's messed up.. the rest of Norton is fine once that's disabled.
I'll have a look at AVG, thanks for the suggestion :)

Scorecard

I found this Anti-Virus Scorecard in PC Magazine. It might be worth a look... :)

0,3363,sz=1&i=12670,00.gif

I use Norton Anti Virus Corp Edition, have it on auto protect and never once had a problem, on this computer or my old one..

Originally posted by is0lized
I use Norton Anti Virus Corp Edition, have it on auto protect and never once had a problem, on this computer or my old one..
The question is: do you keep it running for 20-25 days without rebooting? :)
I'll leave it on for a week or so and post a screenshot.. it should be consuming about 200Mb of RAM by then.

Back