• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Newbie at domain system! help!

Myth_Pharoah

Hey guys! I'm a really noob when ti comes to Domains and how they work. Recently I have decided to buy a domain. But when I went to look at the following registrar http://www.net4domain.com I didn't know what to do.

I really don't know what to look for in a domain registrar. I mean I've seen webhosts offer unlimited emails and forwarders and stuff. But for unlimited emails and stuff do I need to pay even the registrar?

Also suppose I start reseeling with these domain, I'll need to make them name servers such as ns1.myname.com or
ns2.myname.com.

But untill recently I though all of this including the sub domains is depended on the webhost and the guys from who we buy the domain.

How is it? how does it work?

Well, registrars have complicated this a bit by offering various services along with domain registration, some free, some extra. You can now find registrars offering everything from hosting to email forwarding, to full DNS services, etc.

In a general sense, things such as email, subdomains, etc. are handled by your host, although your host will alias their nameservers if you resell for them, you will have to create these nameservers at your registrar.

As I said, this all has been blurred a bit by registrars offering additional services besides just domain registration. You are confused, by really, it is only due to this.

Thanks Chicken!

I got it cleared quit a bit. But I didn't understand the name server thing! What is it? Can you explain a bit in brief.

DNS servers are servers that handle the (sub)domains need to go to. They also set what servers should be used to handle mail.

Mythies my friend!

If you register with net4domains then network solutions [netsol.com is actually your ICANN acredited registrar.

ns1.yourname.com ns2.yourname.com are free at netsol provided you have two IP addresses to register them with.

You go to netsol.com and clik on manage domain then in the poplist select create a host; you need to create 2 hosts ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com 1 after the other.

If your authentication method is Mail-From then you will get a mail from hostmaster@netsol.com which you need to reply to for authentication.

net4domains will also get the mail [being the billing contact] but if either one of you authroize thru email it should work fine.
You can also register with some dummy IP's [though I wont recommend it] and later alter it in netsol.com->manage domain -> modify host option when you want to change the IP addresses...

After you get your domain nameservers registered, if you dont want net4domains as the billing contact, you just change your contact info again in netsol.com

Netsol has not made it easy at all to manage your DNS. In future, if you have a visa or master credit card it is best to choose dabot.com or 123domainregistry.com [Indian reseller of enom] where the price is almost as low and you get a lot of fredom to change hosts as you please ... [this is my opinion though! :)]

Cheers
Balaji

Some comments on your post:
www.godaddy.com has domains for 8.95$ instead of the 35$ netsol charges, and also offers the DNS thing.

You should be capable f using any nameservers you want, if you use ZoneEdits or Mydomains IPs, you can "mask" their servers, never tried this though.

Originally posted by Myth_Pharoah
I was asking who do I pay for the name server and not what they are used for! :)
It depends. If a host does domain hosting for free then you're not paying anything (like T35), and vice versa. If you're with a host that does not support domain hosting or you can't/don't want to pay for their domain hosting, then you can always manage your domains with free domain management services like the ones gybro suggested. I personally recommend mydomain.

Hope that helped.

Back