• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

NEW: free web host

Originally posted by Chicken
Phil says max file size is 500K. MP3's usually weigh in more than that. Any questions? :)

he doesn't offer unlimted space, that's a given, and the mere mentin of the word really makes my skin crawl (honestly), but that's just due to reading too mnay forums and looking at too many plans. It isn't his fault, heh.

Chicken, the idea isn't about the mp3s. What I mean is this: if someone uploaded 15GBs of legal content, breaking NO laws, open to the public, would they allow it?

... Probablly not.

What if I uploaded a 40,000+ picture celeb site, 5,000+ wav file sample site, and a site that had lyrics to 50,000 songs? Now we all know that this would most likely NOT happen, but what if it did? Would they install three hard drives for this one account to keep up their part by "unlimited space" or would they be a chicken shit [no pun intended] and hide behind that "we can remove your site at any time without explanation" bullshit rule they use?

I'm guessing they remove your site :p.

I'm guessing that the people offering "unlimited" space is betting that nobody can possibly have 15GB of legal crap. Personally, I think it would be hard to even reach the 1GB mark.

But if somebody really did, like you said, and the fwp really wants to keep his promise, then he'll probably go and actually buy 15GB worth of disk space. But I'm sure you won't find anyone really keeping their promises about "unlimited" anythings.

[Edited by LeX on 01-20-2001 at 05:13 AM]

Ok, i do have 15 gigs of content.. I know this for a fact. I have been serving these (live Pearl Jam) Mp3s for the past 5 years now, mostly via FTP but some of it has been over http. I consider all the files a part of my site as much as mp3.com would. Its the hole idea behind my site. The band allows it, knowbody else will do it, so i will... but where the F*^k was this 500K file size limit on your site? I read it, it wasnt there?!?! maybe i am dilusional because i work overtime every day of my life, and missed it but hell. Im sick of being tossed around from fwp to fwp with broken promises. And dont anyone give me "well what do you expect from a free web space provider, they are free!" with the amound of traffic i send to the site when i have the shows up it pays for itself ten fold.

I am sorry for the fact that the 500k limit is not mentioned anywhere, it will be going into our faq asap. I am glad i have been notifed through your post of this fact. I would like to mention that this is why i posted here and that is to find out problems like this and deal with them.

My sugestion to you evilhaze is to email me and we will sort out an unique plan to suit your needs.

Thanks, Phil G

well i have emailed you twice.. whats the matter you cant handle me? come on touch guy, lets show the world what ya got! Im still waiting for ANY kind of responce!

Phil, I think (as you can probably see), that taking off the words, "Unlimited Space, Unlimited Web Hits" might be in the best interest of everyone involved.

I'm personally against using this word in relation to hosting.

I'm starting to think it might be a good idea. No host can realistically offer users unlimited space when people want 15 gig each. Over the past month I have been seeing more ppl signing up for a website and only using it for storing large files having no desire for the web pages. Well we are not that kind of service and this is not the type of user we are tring to attract. Let it be clear that we are targeting the begginer to intermediate level web developer who know html but have not really experience perl, php, asp or other server side languages.

I think it is a good suggestion and will consider it over the next few days. What do you think of 20 meg standard and more upon request?

my thoughts are they can find a better services elsewhere.. which is what im doing :) thanks for nothing

Originally posted by the_tick
What do you think of 20 meg standard and more upon request?

I think it is plenty for the crowd you are aiming for. If you state realistic limits and you'll be able to meet the expectations of your visitors. There is no way you can possibly satisfy those who want 'unlimted anything', and like you said, it isn't the crowd you are going for.

I don't think the term, "More available upon request' is used often enough in hosting.

-Just my $19.95 plus 4.50 S&H with free gift if you call now.

For international orders, it'll cost ya' an extra $7.99 (but that includes rush delivery of the sarcasm).

Quite a deal if you ask me... :)

Moderating doesn't pay as well as it used to, gotta make it up wherever I can.

*gasps* You don't get paid for moderating...?????
It's like them paying you to ban people! *lol*

Back