• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Network Solutions : Domain Expiration

atlas

Has anyone else noticed that often domains expire (clearly seen in their whois information), yet they aren't removed?

Some registrars will get rid of them after a month (pretty standard), but Network Solutions has some that have expired over a year and they won't allow anyone to register them.

All my attempts to email them and ask why they don't allow me to register some that are way past expired have been met with silly reponses. I've gotten some saying that they do purge them out routinely, but they can't tell me times. They also suggested I should contact the registrant... (hah... yeah right!).

Anybody else have any luck with freeing domains from Network Solutions?

-mk

Hello,

The way expired domains are *SUPPOSED* to be released is this:

1. Domain Expires
2. Domain is placed on hold for 45 days - during this time it CAN be renewed by the owner, but not transferred to another registrar.
3. Five days after the 45 days is over (total of 50 days after the expiration date) the domain is released. It can then be re-registered.

Well, we know in the real world this is not how it works with Network Solutions. NetSol will take the "good" domain names (and some that are nonsense) and place them for auction at GreatDomains.com. I have been waiting for a domain to be released (a really good domain name at that) for over a year now that expired in 1996!! The domain is FIVE YEARS expired but can't be registered.

Also, writing an email to NetSol will be perhaps the biggest waste of your time ever. The automated reply system will drive you batty.

Why doesn't ICANN do anything about it? I don't know. Probably because NetSol has always been the largest registrar (until recently) and they have quite a bit of power.

Have a great day....

Grrr... I didn't figure there was much hope, but I figured I'd at least ask.

Thanks anyway.

Back