• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need web space - no domain

psalzer

I'm having a hell of a time finding this. I need a modest amount of web space (20-50 megs - could probably do with less). I need SSI and/or MS Front Page 2000 extensions and reliable FTP access. I don't want to register a domain. This is to be used as an intermediate server for a local organization which is required to maintain its site under the statewide organization's domain, but we don't have direct access to their web server. The local organization does not want to register a domain at all. I thought that olm.net said we could do that, but I can't get past sign up there without a domain, or registering one. Waiting on an answer from support. That's not a happy thing, because based on the exchange I had with olm.net, I thought we could do it and told the organization's president I'd be signing them up there for $8.95 a month.

The organization needs to be able to pay by check. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be real glad to hear them.

Hello
I have contacted you privately about this, but as a general note, almost any web host will provide web space with either a subdomain/subdirectory or just under an IP address as this is how the pages are organised on the server anyway.

Even if the form doesn't say so it can be done.

Gordon

Thanks to both of you. It may be that they do allow it, but I haven't been able to get past the form on the ones I've tried.
Gordon, I got your e-mail. Sounds good. I have to think over the Front Page Extensions. I don't really want to use FP, but I'm thinking it might be best for the organization. I'd ask them, but I'm still explaining what a web server is. They're not ready to mull over the pluses and minuses of FP server exensions.

Thats OK
I would strongly recommend not using Frontpage on a very small hosting plan as it eats up disk space with duplicate copies of the same files and the pages it creates are much heavier than those done with other products.

Gordon

The only reason I'd consider Front Page is that I don't have access to the live server, where the pages will wind up eventually, and they only allow monthly updates. They do allow Front Page subwebs, though. So, I was afraid that there might be things I couldn't do for them too easily with CGI, because of not being able to set permissions myself, or test it in advance, or even communicate directly with the web host, but could do with Front Page, which some of the other organizations are using. So, I figure I might be doing them wrong by not using it. On the other hand, I'm really not happy or comfortable using it. I know this is straying a bit from my original topic, but, besides allowing an easy way to do e-mail forms, does Front Page do anything else that's really valuable, in terms of server side stuff?

Email forms (if explained) are a snap (on any server). I guess I've never used FP, so it isn't really easy for me to know what FP does to make this easier than it already is. Basically lets you edit pages in WYSIWYG, but there are other programs that can do this as well.

I can give you some space for free on my server if you don't need any Domain name. I ask for nothing in return. If interested, email me or give me a call at 617-290-0301 (after 9PM Est please).

It does some CGI things, but I'm not sure what exactly. I've used it a little and didn't like it at all, especially the publishing part, but this whole situation is a little weird, in that I won't have any access at all, FTP, control panel, anything, on the actual web host. I figured if FP does a fair amount of interactive things it might be a way to work around that problem.

Well, that's a really nice offer, Synergy. I didn't see it when I posted that last post. I wouldn't want to take advantage of you, though. It would still cost you something to host us, even though it probably wouldn't be all that much.

Actually we are allowing people to get theirname.worldzonepro.net at WorldzonePro. Still the setup charge, but you get everything a domain account at Pro offers. We just arent advertising it yet, well I guess I just did. I have to edit the form to note all the domains we have that you can order a sub off of. If curious, just click the worldzonepro link below, but I wouldnt signup for one yet till the available domains listed there.

Webdude, I have a regular Worldzone account. I would be happy to upgrade and just add the cost the the bill for this account..that would actually be easier for them than having another bill to pay. It's the ad that's the problem and the reason I was looking at paid space. I need the pages to be just the way I upload them.

Back