• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

need some help...

iBrightDev

Jay Street
NLC
NLC
hey guys/gals, I have known most of you for quite some time now, and I would appreciate getting a hand in some voting for my new design on my site. I still have some dummy text on a couple pages since my content writer hasnt finished writing what i need, but, other than that, the design is done. please take a moment to vote for me to help me get in the CSS Design Awards, i would appreciate it greatly.

http://bit.ly/iCFXqV

just follow that link to the site. It should be the only one on the page since the link is a direct search for my design. if you are unsure which one it is, if more than one shows up, do a search for "iBrightDevelopment" (no quotes). the thumbnail image for my site should look like the layout here... http://www.ibrightdev.com

thanks in advance for anyone that votes for me. :D

Last edited:
When I look at it, it looks like the entire middle of the site is a multihued slate thingie. All kinds of banners are on a big vertical stack on the right so that it forces me to scroll. Not sure if that's a "bug or a feature". It feels like a 1 anchor ministrip with the anchor missing.

When I look at it, it looks like the entire middle of the site is a multihued slate thingie. All kinds of banners are on a big vertical stack on the right so that it forces me to scroll. Not sure if that's a "bug or a feature". It feels like a 1 anchor ministrip with the anchor missing.

@iBrightDev, I thumbed up your site. Wanted to take a look at your site after voting, and got this:
not sure what you mean. i know there is an IE bug, looking into it later today.
Firefox can't find the server at www.ibrihgtdev.com.

@ Tao - That's the voting site - sheesh.

Justin can get to your site?

everyone else, link fixed. sorry, clumsy fingers. click link to my site now. lol

Reviewing http://www.ibrightdev.com

I feel like the iBright Guy and three of those four choices would work well for the top of the screen. Somehow scrolling past what feels like 3 inches of dead space to get to the Good Stuff bothers me. Maybe put the Senator ad on the bottom. I know ad companies/sponsors like ads on top but aesthetically that feels like a grab, I prefer them on the bottom of the page.

Tao, I see your point and will counter it. The whole point of the site is to get people to the portfolio, and that is why the guy and the scroller are at the top. the blog and other areas are just other parts of the site that are helpful for keeping people at the site, but, not the goal and dont really care much about those areas. also, there are NO ads on my site. if you hover over the "Senator" image, it links to my portfolio, and if you click on the left or right side images behind the "Senator" one, it will rotate them

Looked like an ad to me too, didn't even think about clicking it.

Instead of just pasting the image, maybe you should modify it somewhat so that people will know it's only one of your designs, not a link to a campaign site.
I would have never guessed it was a link to your portfolio the way it's presented now.

@ Lex, how would you go about achieving your suggestion? It is already modified to have a pic of the logo and a small screen shot of the site in the image with the guy right next to the images saying to "Check out my work", and when you roll over the image, it has text the shows up and a dark glow around the image. would love some suggestions on what would make it more obvious that you can scroll through the designs and click on them to go to the portfolio. i had arrows on the sides, but, thought the were ugly and removed them. any suggestions?

I like it and voted appropriately :)

As mentioned though maybe pick a better 1st image to get people to click as it does look like an ad rather than work, get the carousel (think that's what you might have in mind for the top pics by the overlaid layout) and it would make a difference to that impression too.
And maybe change that eroded font for the 4 links, bit sore on my ageing eyes now :D and it does make it a bit difficult to read on 2 mobile devices I checked the site on :)

yeah, was testing the sketch font out, just put on there yesterday. was already thinking of switching back, unless i can get the bold one so it would look better, but, dont feel like paying for it and couldnt find a torrent. :(

as for the carousel, do you see another design in the carousel that you think should be the front one? i originally went with the JD one since it was one of my favorite designs I have done, and I wanted to start targeting political candidates for their sites since i have some connections to get in doing them.

thanks for the feedback guys, and the votes. keep it coming, both. ;)

Like the update, didn't know that the carousel was actually one :) having to click (getting used to these new fanged mouse-over ones lol - which are PITA's)

The free bucket might be a better starting image as it's suited to the rest of the site, for now till you get the votes then market :D

i put a new font up that isnt as bold as nevis bold was, but not the sketch one either. is it better? and yeah, i thought about TheFreeBucket image showing first, but, i didnt like how i have a cartoon character saying to check out the portfolio and then the mascot for TheFreeBucket logo too. sort of bothered me. lol

Glad you ditched the sketch font, I was going to comment on that too but later forgot.

As for the way to show the image is not an ad, I was thinking something along the lines of:

Maybe add smaller text that invite the visitor to click to see more, I dunno. I'm sure you can think of better implementation or ideas.

And honestly, I wasn't aware that was a carousel you can interact with.

Last edited:
yeah, my hope is that someone will hover over it wondering if it is clickable, and see that a hand pointer appears so they click. it is not an obvious carousel since it doesnt have the forward and backward buttons, but, i am not sure what to do about that. i had put button on it and they just didnt seem to fit. the "Sample" banner across the image might be a pretty good idea though. i will mess with it a bit and see what you think after i change it. thanks for the input. i personally dont see it as looking like an ad, but, it is always to see others perspectives since i am the one working on it and i know what it is supposed to do. big help guys, really appreciated.

The mouse-over arrows on the carousel are nice additions.

But I'm not really seeing where you added my suggestion...
No matter, looks okay now that you've changed the default sample image from the senator to something else, no longer look like an ad.

Anyway, good luck with that competition.

it might be cached for you, clear your cache and refresh. there should be a ribbon across the images in the carousel that says "Sample Work".

It looks good, I Like how you've implemented LeX's suggestion. My .02: As someone with a small screen usually, space use is important to me when I visit a website. Right now it feels like there is a lot of dead space underneath the carousel and above where it says gallery etc. Reducing the size of that space would improve the feel of the site somewhat, IMO

Back