• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need some help with a HD

Erizo

Muffin
NLC
Hi :knockedou

Ok, here's the situation. My uncle has a laptop, somewhat old (not too much).

That laptop suddenly stopped working, and apparently the HD just died. Like that. Poof, dead. Linux won't recognize the drive, and i've tried Hiren's BootCD and nothing :eek:

My uncle has a lot of family photos there, so he's desperate. Do you guys know a place i can send the HD to be repaired? :ninja:

Seagate has a recovery service. It's expensive but they will extract the data from the platters and put them on a free new HDD. Expect to pay over $300 US for the service.

You might want to try finding the same (exact) model of HDD and swapping the PCB. This won't damage the drive further but could help you recover the data if the issue is due to a faulty PCB.

If this doesn't work, it's an internal mechanical failure which can only be recovered using advanced and specialized tools only found at HDD manufacturers and recovery services.

Whatever you do, DO NOT open the drive. Platters must be extracted in clean rooms.

Back