• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need hosting for online radio shows

Agum

Group of my friends building an online radio shows type of site. Need hosting for it. These are original talk shows (emph: not music) recorded by my friends themselves. Haven't decided on file formats so far but I think just the regular stuff - RealMedia, WMA/ASF.

Due to the nature of the web site I would expect a need for large space and bandwidth, but don't really need a whole lot of other features. The standards (PHP, MySQL, a couple of email accounts) are probably needed. In terms of space I'm probably looking at 500mb~1GB or so to start with (might upgrade later on) and a reasonable bandwidth that corresponds with that kind of space. I'm not sure what the market price for such space is nowadays but I'm thinking with ~$15/mo I can get something similar?

[edit]
I would like to add that the host's servers need to be fast to users in the US, Canada, and Hong Kong.. as they're the major audience of the site. Some servers are fast in the US but slow to in the rest of the world in my experience. Which is another reason I asked for a big host. I know I can get a gig or two of space with $10/mo or so at a smaller host but I wouldn't mind paying more for higher quality services.
[/edit]

I am looking for a recommendation of good host(s) (preferrably big hosts, not startups or ones managed by a couple of people), and not offers coming from hosts themselves.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm usually kind of sketchy about hosts that offer 20gb space for only $4/mo.. and bad support usually doesn't leave me a good impression. Also they didn't mention anything about multimedia streaming.

I've been long out of the web hosting scene, I can't even find the well known hosts that I used to know of anymore. From what my searching finds, how are bluehost and apollohosting? Both seem to be fairly large companies. Or, I might even go with more reliable and well known services like Earthlink.

I'd stay away from 1and1, bad experiences there. You'd be lucky to get support within two weeks.

Last edited:
Can I ask, why do you have to have a big company? I like a company, where I can actually speak with the owner or co-owner everytime you need help. You problem is more than likely going to be solved within a minute or two.

As far as hosting, watch for your overseller. Ask anyone with experience on this forum, you get what you pay for.

Infact, Jan exact word in another thread, "I would pay $9.95 for 10 GB transfer, but atleast I know they'll be there tomorrow."

Hi

Heres a few:

ipowerweb.com
1and1.com
powweb.com
hostway.com

Them are the main big boys, its also wise to seach WHT for other reviews etc etc.

Goodluck.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I'll look into those. :)

Kommercial said:
Can I ask, why do you have to have a big company? I like a company, where I can actually speak with the owner or co-owner everytime you need help. You problem is more than likely going to be solved within a minute or two.

As far as hosting, watch for your overseller. Ask anyone with experience on this forum, you get what you pay for.

Infact, Jan exact word in another thread, "I would pay $9.95 for 10 GB transfer, but atleast I know they'll be there tomorrow."

Jan's quote is exactly why I want a big company... :)
I also want to make sure that if I'm getting a package that says 1gb space and 10gb bandwidth, I AM getting that space and bandwidth. I don't want the host emailing me saying "you are using 500mb space and 5gb bandwidth and we're not expecting any of our customers to use that much for a $5 package, so we're cutting you off."

<<Mod Edit: He is looking for recommendations, NOT offers.>>
/Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Agum said:
Thanks for the recommendation guys, I'll look into those. :)

Jan's quote is exactly why I want a big company... :)
I also want to make sure that if I'm getting a package that says 1gb space and 10gb bandwidth, I AM getting that space and bandwidth. I don't want the host emailing me saying "you are using 500mb space and 5gb bandwidth and we're not expecting any of our customers to use that much for a $5 package, so we're cutting you off."

It just doesn't work like that. If you're quoted a certain amount, and we agree on a price, you'll recieve that amount, as long as the agreed amount is being paid monthly.

Who did you have that ordeal with? I would like to stay away from them. You can't agree on something, and then everything changes, unless they were completely going out of business.

- Lucas

Not that I had any particular experiences like that, but I've heard similar things from other people on forums before.

I've read good things about 1and1.com on forums (like this one and WHT), and right now this looks the best so far in terms of space and bandwidth -- however I don't feel too comfortable when their $5/mo package offers 10gb of space and 500gb of bandwidth. Does anyone know how reliable they are, and can I count on them really letting me use that much space and bandwidth for a $5/mo package?

Another question is, I think I need to find out more about how ASF and RealMedia streaming works. Do most hosts in general support them? In my impression I thought they require special servers (mms://, etc.?) but I'm not sure. Would I have to ask each individual host whether they support that or not, since most hosts don't list that as part of their features except for a couple.

They will almost definitely not let you use all of the space and bandwidth they advertise, simply because it would not be good business for them seeing as they will be losing money on bandwidth costs.

You are right, you should contact each host seperately as some hosts may not support the media you want to stream.

I seriously reccomend 5-starhosting.com the support is amazing, the owner went the extra mile to make sure that my server got back up super fast when the data center cut it and has offered great support for as long as I've been with them. (some while)
I really suggest you go with them, the prices, hosting and support are all amazing!
www.5-starhosting.com

Back