• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need help to make this idea work....

djyox

So here is the idea, to have a server not connected to the net (impossible to connect it, so not even an option), yet run a some type of website on it to use on ie or FireFox.

I don't know hoe to do it, but I know hotels and places that offer free internet automatically redirect you to their login screen. After logging in, you can surf. I want basically the same thing, however, once you log on, you're on my site.

what's in the site? Specialty movies that the person can now dl, or stream. I'm hoping there are some scripts I can use to do this...

I'll have a server with php/mysql/apache to host on, then another disk to store data in, or maybe just raid0

ideas, thoughts, questions?

thanks for your help, and if this could be in a better section please move.

You can't run a website on a server that isn't connect to your net in some manner. No one else apart from your localhost/LAN will be able to connect to it. You'd have to use at least something, even if it is like Opera Unite.

Well you can still set it up as a normal server. Install Apache or whatever on the machine (or if you do want to use a browser and a full OS, use Opera Unite as I posted above). Open up the ports on the firewall and you're done.

Now the hard part is the script side... I want the hotel type login to gain access to the server, and the once in, a nice script to display the videos, and discription of them as well as maybe a picture? I dunno...

Does anyone know what I mean by the hotel log in? If you've ever been to a hotel, or where ever to use the wireless networking, you normally have to get a code from the front desk. (that way someone in the parking lot isn't getting free internet, only those who stay in the hotel do).

As soon as you connect, you are redirected to their log in page. You type in a code, and you now have access to their internet.

I want the same thing, however, I would like to have it rather than let the person loose onto the internet, after they enter the code, they can then go into my webpage. I will make the webpage out of HTML if I have to, but the big thing is authentication before they can connect, or else they are always redirected to the log in page.

Hey,

Your project would be doable; however there are some key things.

1) Has to be connected to network, however you block all connections except those you accept by either IP or Mac Address (this is handled by your login script).

2) Hotels do not operate in the method your thinking; the entire connection/authentication happens on their routers and then opens you to the net. It does not lock you into their network, so I would recommend not using that as an example may lead you down the wrong path.

In order to find people who can help you the best I recommend not using a forum like this but to visit a developer community or http://www.scriptlance.com/ and post a project there.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the previous comment and want to share another great website where you'll be able to find a gifted freelancer: https://www.xplace.com/. This job board is commission-free and has a lot of resumes and portfolios for you to consider.

Back