• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need help regarding domain hosting!!

turtle

Hi!

I know nothing about domain registration and bla bla bla... But I was trying things out. I just registred a domain name using my Beenz. I thought I'll use centralinfo.net as my domain host. And I went to "Manage Domain" and deleted the name servers! Now I don't know what to do...

Is DNS service different from domain hosting??

Please help!

Yeah... It's registrarsasia.com... Know anything about it?

I was able enter DNS entries of centralinfo.net now, but I'm still not sure whether they host the site or not...

Where should I direct the Points to IP to??

Ok.. I think you may be a little confused...
First of all centralinfo (if you are using their free DNS) wont host your site. They just tell where the domain name points.

If you want to start off, go to virtualave or hypermart and they will tell you what DNS servers to use (instead of centralinfo's)

Also, if you do go to a host that supports domain hosting...they will tell you either 1. what DNS servers to use, or 2. what IP to point your domain to (via centralinfo)

If you want to point your domain to say something like geocities or something, there is only one service that I know of (athough I am sure that there are others) that can map an IP to a relative webspace. That service is at http://capibara.com and is free for 90% of your page throughs. The other 10% have banners I believe, but I forget...

Hope this helps, and good luck with your domain!

Thanks... You did clear the mist a little bit... So when can you actually utilise services like centralinfo.net?

The only reason you would want to use centralinfo is if your host doesn't do DNS for you, and tells you to point your domain to their IP. In that case, you would make a A RECORD in centralinfo.

The other case maybe if you want to implement a free webmail system like everyone.net...

The one thing I'll mention is that (though not for free) central info does host web sites last I checked.

Yeah, actually centralinfo's array of services is quite impressive, but only the DNS is free.

There are a lot of sites out there though that will accept your domain (for free), and you can use centralinfo to point it to their servers...

Back