• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need for Speed? (not the game)

Currently 56k and I can usually connect at 50.6k but I'm looking into the starband satellite internet setup, since cable or DSL is not going to be available for several years yet.
I just need to reconcile myself to the $70/mo price tag.
Hoping the price drops when there are more services to choose from... Supposedly around next February

Originally posted by Rick
Currently 56k and I can usually connect at 50.6k but I'm looking into the starband satellite internet setup, since cable or DSL is not going to be available for several years yet.
I just need to reconcile myself to the $70/mo price tag.
Hoping the price drops when there are more services to choose from... Supposedly around next February

How good is the whole satelite internet thing? Someone I knew online looked into it, and found that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But that was 1-2 years ago. What is it like now?

I have @Home cable, but I am going to get rid of it, for SNET DSL. Because I am going to buy a Dreamcast (about damn time) and the SNET DSL offers dial up access at no extra charge.. so I can use the dial up account for the Dreamcast :)

satellite

i have a 56k connection but the best i can get is 28.8.

I looked into satellite, a major downside for me is that you need to have a dialup line as well for sending data upstream. which means that for one, i am too poverty stricken to afford both a satellite and a dialup, and because i do a lot of uploading it whoud have no advantage over my 28.8k line.

StarBand... http://www.starband.com is now offering two-way satellite internet access and claiming 500kbps down and 150kbps up speeds but at the moment, they're asking about $400 for the reciever/transmitter and the dish, plus $70/month for the service. No telephone line is needed. A true satellite system

I have RoadRunner cable for $40/month which is actually cheaper then dialup+2nd phone line. I usually download at 250K and upload at 30k, but its usually dependent on the server. much faster than my previous 26400bps AOL connection where I maxed downloading at 1.5K/s lol. Really helps when youre trying to download backups from a hacked site if you know what I mean.

How good is the whole satelite internet thing? Someone I knew online looked into it, and found that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But that was 1-2 years ago. What is it like now?

You dont want it. I know some using it and they all say the same. If you download too much, you are disconnected and have to reconnect. Same with idle time....which is about 5-10 minutes. If at all possible in your area, use cable or dsl instead. You'll have a lot less aggravation.

Originally posted by Rick
StarBand... http://www.starband.com is now offering two-way satellite internet access and claiming 500kbps down and 150kbps up speeds but at the moment, they're asking about $400 for the reciever/transmitter and the dish, plus $70/month for the service. No telephone line is needed. A true satellite system

starband, isn't that the first two-way satellite service? i think i heard stuff bout microsoft investing heavily into that company. so it might be good..

then again, look what happened to iridium..

Originally posted by Webdude

You dont want it. I know some using it and they all say the same. If you download too much, you are disconnected and have to reconnect. Same with idle time....which is about 5-10 minutes. If at all possible in your area, use cable or dsl instead. You'll have a lot less aggravation.

Actually... Starband is claiming an 'always on' service, so I don't think disconnects would be a problem.
However it's slower and more expensive than cable or DSL so if you have those as an alternative, go with em, but some of us out in the boonies don't have that choice.

That's AOL for you... ever tried their customer support? ;)

NB }:8) Had to see a shrink over the usage of the hold feature, and that annoying music. ;)

Back