• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need advice on college degree

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
Well I'm getting ready to start college in August, and I wondered what you gurus have gotten and if you have any advice. My hope is to be certified in heavy LAN and WAN networks (Like Network Information Infrastructures) and server hardware and software. Basically I want the brains to work in The Planet DC and the smarts to build a businesses information structure from the ground up. Since I've been in homeschool for so long, I'm starting out at the Bainbridge Community College for 2 years to get an assciates degree in Computer Information Sciences. Then I'm thinking of moving to Georgia Southwestern, or GATech. Hopefully when I get to one of those I'm gonna get a Masters.

Is this a wise plan? Anyone of you hosters form Georfia that can give me some valuable insight? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you. :)

All the advice I can offer is don't go to a university that has a commercial, they are never any good. Of course that would be college in your case since your American, but same idea.

I started out as a computer information systems major, switched to financial services, then international business, and thinking about going computer science. I have plans of internship in Langley (Cannot disclose more info ;)).

All the advice I can offer is don't go to a university that has a commercial, they are never any good. Of course that would be college in your case since your American, but same idea.

utcrazy: Thanks, but the general public here uses University and College interchangeably. Even though they aren't: University is a group of colleges. Ex: Georgia State University has a College of Health and Human Services. First you apply to the university. Then, when you want a degree in, say Pre-Med School studies, you apply to the college within the university that offers that particular line of study. Georgia Perimeter College is a two-year independent college with several departments. It's not a university because there's only one college.

Heymrdj: Honestly, I'd say go for Georgia Tech. You'll have to work hard, though; it's not exactly easy to get into, but a degree from there might as well be diamond-studded. But, I also have an aversion to rural areas, so I'm not exactly barring you from attending GSW. I'm actually starting at Georgia State this fall; hooray for living downtown!

[edit]
I just saw you'll be attending Bainbridge Community College. Georgia Tech will be far from home, then, right? Tough choice.

Last edited:
Definitely a good plan! Keep at it! I will be graduating with my BS in MIS in June, and can't wait! :)

Hmmm, I have about 3 more years in CIS. Than I need to get a minor in Business Admin so I can major in CIS(Computer Information Systems) I think it's the equivelant of IT for you Americans :p

utcrazy: Thanks, but the general public here uses University and College interchangeably. Even though they aren't: University is a group of colleges. Ex: Georgia State University has a College of Health and Human Services. First you apply to the university. Then, when you want a degree in, say Pre-Med School studies, you apply to the college within the university that offers that particular line of study. Georgia Perimeter College is a two-year independent college with several departments. It's not a university because there's only one college.

Heymrdj: Honestly, I'd say go for Georgia Tech. You'll have to work hard, though; it's not exactly easy to get into, but a degree from there might as well be diamond-studded. But, I also have an aversion to rural areas, so I'm not exactly barring you from attending GSW. I'm actually starting at Georgia State this fall; hooray for living downtown!

[edit]
I just saw you'll be attending Bainbridge Community College. Georgia Tech will be far from home, then, right? Tough choice.

Yeah, it is Atlanta. And I've only been to ATL once to see the braves, the aquarium, and then go up north to the Blue Ridge Scenic Ride. But we are still considering it.

I realize getting in isn't easy. I made a 1570 on my last SAT a few months ago, then 1692 on this one I took 2 weeks ago (just got the results yesterday). I see GATech wants a 1200 I think. So being over my 1200...I wonder how well I rank to other applicants..

Yeah, it is Atlanta. And I've only been to ATL once to see the braves, the aquarium, and then go up north to the Blue Ridge Scenic Ride. But we are still considering it.

I realize getting in isn't easy. I made a 1570 on my last SAT a few months ago, then 1692 on this one I took 2 weeks ago (just got the results yesterday). I see GATech wants a 1200 I think. So being over my 1200...I wonder how well I rank to other applicants..

I know it's in Atlanta; I just didn't know if you lived here and for some reason decided to attend a college down south or something, or if you lived down there and wanted to come here to Atlanta.

One thing to consider is which SAT they are talking about: the new one or the old one. If they are asking 1200, it's probably the old one, so subtract your essay score.

Have you checked http://www.gacollege411.com and http://www.collegeboard.com? They show the middle 50% applicants' scores.

I know it's in Atlanta; I just didn't know if you lived here and for some reason decided to attend a college down south or something, or if you lived down there and wanted to come here to Atlanta.

One thing to consider is which SAT they are talking about: the new one or the old one. If they are asking 1200, it's probably the old one, so subtract your essay score.

Have you checked http://www.gacollege411.com and http://www.collegeboard.com? They show the middle 50% applicants' scores.

Yeah I'm a member of both. We registered for both SAT's through College Board. Thats also where we got the information for all these perspective colleges.

So you know, I live in Bainbridge, Georgia, so yes all the way down south here 11mi. from the FLorida border.

Yeah I'm a member of both. We registered for both SAT's through College Board. Thats also where we got the information for all these perspective colleges.

So you know, I live in Bainbridge, Georgia, so yes all the way down south here 11mi. from the FLorida border.

Wow, pretty far from Atlanta. I lived in the swamps of Louisiana for a while; it was depressing. At this point the best thing I could say is schedule a college visit to GT and GSW, then spend a weekend in Atlanta, and compare the two colleges.

<woops>
I just realized the topic was NOT about colleges and was about degrees and professional experience. Ahhh! I feel like a dumb ---.

Wow, pretty far from Atlanta. I lived in the swamps of Louisiana for a while; it was depressing. At this point the best thing I could say is schedule a college visit to GT and GSW, then spend a weekend in Atlanta, and compare the two colleges.

<woops>
I just realized the topic was NOT about colleges and was about degrees and professional experience. Ahhh! I feel like a dumb ---.

Yes, we have already begun planning trips to Americus to visit GSW and another trip to Atlanta to see GT (as scary as driving that 580 around Atlanta is :knockedou).

We live out here in the boondocks. 20mi. from bainbridge to be exact. So to go to Bainbridge College the first two years anyways, we have to travel the horrid Highway 98. Its 2 lanes and full of semi trucks...

Anyways don't worry about it. The title is misleading. i want info on degrees, colleges, whatever. Please, keep offering :).

Yes, we have already begun planning trips to Americus to visit GSW and another trip to Atlanta to see GT (as scary as driving that 580 around Atlanta is :knockedou).

We live out here in the boondocks. 20mi. from bainbridge to be exact. So to go to Bainbridge College the first two years anyways, we have to travel the horrid Highway 98. Its 2 lanes and full of semi trucks...

Anyways don't worry about it. The title is misleading. i want info on degrees, colleges, whatever. Please, keep offering :).

580? You mean 285? Lol, Driving in (downtown) Atlanta is very easy once you get used to split-second cutoffs, a grid of one-way streets reminiscent of Manhattan, and 50mph in an extremely narrow lane. 285 is actually pretty relaxed; I drive on it daily since it cuts where I live in half (Buckhead through sandy springs is my general territory). Part of that is because it's separated from the busier parts of atlanta.

If you decide to attend GT, there's an apartment building near the Underground mall and 5 Points train station called University Place at Underground that starts near 400$/month for a 300 square foot 1 bedroom. No kitchen and bunk beds with a room mate, but it's the cheapest you'll find outside of renting a room considering they have building-wide wireless networks, give you cable, utilities, and phone included in your bill. The only reason I'm staying away from these places is because I refuse to live with a room mate unless it's someone I know well, and even then we're getting separate bedrooms, but if you're comfortable sharing a bunk with a stranger, go ahead and check them out. Heh.

580? You mean 285? Lol, Driving in (downtown) Atlanta is very easy once you get used to split-second cutoffs, a grid of one-way streets reminiscent of Manhattan, and 50mph in an extremely narrow lane. 285 is actually pretty relaxed; I drive on it daily since it cuts where I live in half (Buckhead through sandy springs is my general territory). Part of that is because it's separated from the busier parts of atlanta.

If you decide to attend GT, there's an apartment building near the Underground mall and 5 Points train station called University Place at Underground that starts near 400$/month for a 300 square foot 1 bedroom. No kitchen and bunk beds with a room mate, but it's the cheapest you'll find outside of renting a room considering they have building-wide wireless networks, give you cable, utilities, and phone included in your bill. The only reason I'm staying away from these places is because I refuse to live with a room mate unless it's someone I know well, and even then we're getting separate bedrooms, but if you're comfortable sharing a bunk with a stranger, go ahead and check them out. Heh.

Well me and my twin brother are going to the same place. So if I can have him assigned to my room as well, then there won't be a problem :).

Is it 285? That large "interstate" that runs a circle around Atlanta? I thought it started with a 5? But it was 9 months ago...

Well me and my twin brother are going to the same place. So if I can have him assigned to my room as well, then there won't be a problem :).

Is it 285? That large "interstate" that runs a circle around Atlanta? I thought it started with a 5? But it was 9 months ago...

Yeah, it's 285. AKA the Perimeter. I actually drove over to those University Place apartments today and they are VERY nice. I went on a guided tour today and was very impressed. Most of the plans are singles (only 1 is a room mate floor plan), but you can bunk up if you want. They start at 770 unfurnished for singles, and the roomy plan is 550/person/month. Before,I was iffy, but now it seems like a very possible place for me to live, considering it's a few blocks from the college I'm going to. I refuse to have a room mate, though; I'd strangle them within a week. I'm a bit of a misanthrope and they'd more than likely get on my nerves. Unless it was someone I'd already known for a while.

After being in the area today, I realize it isn't very close to GT, though. There are probably closer places to GT if you choose to go there.

Yeah, it's 285. AKA the Perimeter. I actually drove over to those University Place apartments today and they are VERY nice. I went on a guided tour today and was very impressed. Most of the plans are singles (only 1 is a room mate floor plan), but you can bunk up if you want. They start at 770 unfurnished for singles, and the roomy plan is 550/person/month. Before,I was iffy, but now it seems like a very possible place for me to live, considering it's a few blocks from the college I'm going to. I refuse to have a room mate, though; I'd strangle them within a week. I'm a bit of a misanthrope and they'd more than likely get on my nerves. Unless it was someone I'd already known for a while.

After being in the area today, I realize it isn't very close to GT, though. There are probably closer places to GT if you choose to go there.

Its not like closeness affects me all that much. I mean I'll already be making a 20mi. commute each way 3-4 days a week.

Back