• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need a new host after what VeoWeb did to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah thats a bit scary to me. I would skip right over all that If you are looking to host with some place for quite awhile, looks to be more trouble that it's worth

it looks like you put together a nice list of some good host companies though, best of luck, and thanks for including us in your list as well. I have already replied to your sales inquiry shortly after you sent it to us.

Re:

Originally posted by AvailNetworks
yeah thats a bit scary to me. I would skip right over all that If you are looking to host with some place for quite awhile, looks to be more trouble that it's worth

Do you mean nesrelshark? Yah, even to start with I thought that the host companies I listed above would be better than his.

yep I was talking about him. I find it a little odd how some people can feel confident enough to offer their services to the public when they don't even have their own stuff together

Re:

I thought I had it narrowed down to Avail Networks, LLC until just now when I got my dad to thoroughly research their background and to see if they are well known and he said that he couldn't find too many reviews about them and that they are a new company so they haven't been around very long.

Originally posted by Lubby here
Whoever you consider be sure to do lots of background searching on.

Originally posted by David here
Just ensure that when you do find a host that looks interesting: Be sure to research them quite thoroughly to ensure you don't end up in the same situation a second time around.

What exactly do they mean in the above quotes? Is there anything else I should do before signing up with a host and while thoroughly researching their background besides seeing if they are well known?

My dad goes and finds more companiies for me to look at when all I ask him to do is thoroughly research the background of just the one company for me, but anyway he found this WebServe.ca. They are located in North Vancouver, B.C., Canada which is about a one hour drive away from where I live in Surrey, B.C.. My dad couldn't find any reviews about them but he said that they have won lots of awards, so is that a good sign? I see that their "UNIX Starter Web Hosting" plan is $5,59 per month which is a bit over my monthly budget, I haven't E-mailed them yet to ask them if that is Canadian or U.S. dollars and to ask them if they match all of my other requirements.

Avail Networks is a great company, the people there are very upfront aswell. Just because a provider doesn't have many reviews doesn't make them a bad provider. I think you should relook at Avail Networks and give them a shot. Very good people and a tight ship service from what I have seen.

WebServe.ca is a fine company, probably as good as it gets in Canada.

If you are looking for a company with a serious background, long history and properly established international brand, you don't look for them on FreeWebSpace.net

Fire Website Hosting

Hello,
I'm Ron Tomasetti from Fire Website Hosting & Design. I'd like to clear up a few things. Fire Website Hosting & Design did not purchase VeoWeb. VeoWeb called off the deal in the middle of the tranfer. It looks like VeoWeb has shutdown operation. Some customers are still up and running because they are on our servers.

We are will to help any Veo customers and we will honor any hosting package they had with VeoWeb. If you were a Veo customer you can contact us at http://www.helppost.net and we will set you up with a hosting account and get you going again.

NOTE: We had nothing to do with the VeoWeb servers

Re:

Originally posted by HostFrog
Avail Networks is a great company, the people there are very upfront aswell. Just because a provider doesn't have many reviews doesn't make them a bad provider. I think you should relook at Avail Networks and give them a shot. Very good people and a tight ship service from what I have seen.

My dad took another look at Avail Networks and couldn't find anything bad about them. So maybe I will give them a shot and sign up with them this weekend.

Originally posted by emgtrain
Hello,
I'm Ron Tomasetti from Fire Website Hosting & Design. I'd like to clear up a few things. Fire Website Hosting & Design did not purchase VeoWeb. VeoWeb called off the deal in the middle of the tranfer. It looks like VeoWeb has shutdown operation. Some customers are still up and running because they are on our servers.

So I guess now I know why the two providers (VeoWeb and FWSH) had me jumping from place to place to get support, FWSH did not purchase VeoWeb but some of VeoWeb's customers are still up and running because they are on FWSH's servers.

Originally posted by emgtrain
We are will to help any Veo customers and we will honor any hosting package they had with VeoWeb. If you were a Veo customer you can contact us at http://www.helppost.net and we will set you up with a hosting account and get you going again.

But Ron, aren't you the one who managed to botch the transfer and lose hundreds of VeoWeb customers' websites? As a matter of fact, you are. I have the response from VeoWeb to the ticket where I was dicussing this with them and this following quote is exactly the same words they used in that response:

Ron was supposed to take over the clients from us. However, when he managed to botch the transfer and lose hundreds of websites, leaving us holding the string, we cut connections with him.

And I won't exhaust the rest of that ticket here (unless you want me to) because when I did that at WHT's forum, nobody replied because they said that I made my posts too large.

Anyway, I'm not one of VeoWeb's customers who are still up and running on FWSH's servers, I'm one of VeoWeb's customers who lost my website data. So I don't think I should go with you after you managed to lose my website data, I think I will sign up with Avail Networks this weekend if they are a good company because it's not too often you find 1.5GB of space and 15 GB of bandwidth per month for less than $5 Canadian per month. Again, I luckily have a copy of my website backed up on my hard drive that I can upload once I set up my account with Avail Networks. I think I should take advantage of their sale while it's on.

Last edited:
thanks for the support everyone and thanks again Neil for reconsidering us for your web hosting. We know your stay will be a pleasant one

Re:

I'm now back to looking for a new host.:sad2: I signed up with Avail Networks just over a month ago and I never got my site up. After I finished signing up with them and after I entered my billing information, I was denied my account being created because it said that the street address I entered didn't match the billing address of the cardholder (me). I was entering the right address so I contacted Avail Networks support regarding this issue and they activated my account while saying that they would solve the billing issue later. I never heard anything more about that since then so I contacted them once later last month asking them what's the status on solving my billing issue and they ignored me. Also last month, I got the E-mail address I wanted set up at my domain but just couldn't get it working with Netscape, so I contacted them yesterday asking them for support and then Reed Murray, their staff member who I've been dealing with, sent me a rude reply.

Now, I would have posted the rude reply and all of his and my replies after that below but all of a sudden he changed their helpdesk system so I can no longer access all the old tickets I submitted (Damn, I knew I should have saved all those old tickets to my hard drive before something like this happened). I also can't log into my E-mail and bring out all the old tickets I submitted because I use to receive an E-mail each time I got a reply to one of my helpdesk tickets after I first started using Avail Networks's helpdesk system, but then for some reason I no longer received E-mail notification to the replies. Anyway, this all started with them having just too many things wrong with their helpdesk system to start with:
-it wouldn't function in Netscape.
-Reed would miss my replies so my only way to get a hold of him would be for me to start a new ticket each time I wanted to add a reply to one of my previous tickets. I also didn't receive E-mail that he sent to my address (when he tried to reply to E-mails that I sent him) so I couldn't E-mail him, so again my only way of contacting him was to start a new ticket each time I wanted to add a reply to one of my previous tickets.
-Again, for some reason I stopped recieiving E-mail notification whenever a new reply was added to one of my tickets even though I did receive E-mail notification to start with.
-Whenever I tried to attach a file to one of my tickets, the file didn't attach once I submitted my ticket.

So anyway, after several attempts of trying to get a hold of him via the helpdesk system, he told me to E-mail him since the helpdesk system wasn't functioning at the time. So I E-mailed him and I jsut thought he didn't reply at first so I added a reply in the ticket to the reply where he told me to E-mail him asking him why he didn't answer my E-mail and he missed that reply to the ticket. So because he missed that reply, I started a new ticket asking him why he didn't reply. This is the ticket where he then added the rude reply. In the reply, he said things like he considers me starting new tickets instead of replying to previous tickets as spam and that I should either just E-mail him or use the helpdesk system instead of doing both. Wasn't it obvious to him that the only reason why I kept starting new tickets and using more than one contact method was the same reason why I said above that I did that? And I'm confused because he said several times in the rude reply as well as in his reply after that one that he was confused as to why I keep starting new tickets and why would he say that after he said in his first reply to my ticket before that one something like "Thank you for starting a new ticket, I missed your reply to your previous one." Those aren't the exact words he used, again I no longer have access to those tickets. The first time I found out that he did reply to my E-mail was when he told me in the rude reply that he replied to it.

Reed didn't seem very flexible about me not receiving E-mail from him or from their helpdesk system once they stopped sending me E-mail notificaiton and about them missing my replies to helpdesk tickets.

If I was able to show you the rude reply and the first reply I added after that one, I don't know if you'd think that I was being rude to him. He said in his next reply which came after that reply of mine that he was doing all that he could to help me and that he was doing the best he could and everything he could to help me, but I don't know if you'd agree with that. Do you think I should write a bad review about him and warn other users not to host with him?

Now, I should try to find a host that has everything set up as soon as I get there and who's staff are familiar with configuring E-mail to work with Netscape. By "a host that has everything set up as soon as I get there," I mean that their helpdesk system should be 100% functioning as soon as I finish signing up with them and my account is activated. And I don't know if you'd agree with me on this one because you might think differently than the way I do about this, but I think that it would make sense that most hosts do not allow activating their accounts until the first payment is successful. If possible, I would like a host where I don't have any problems with my credit card when trying to sign up. And I don't want to configure my E-mail address to work with Thunderbird or "Outlook Express," before I signed up with Avail Networks I asked that my E-mail be configured to work with Netscape.

And lastly, when I said above that Avail Networks changed their helpdesk system, Reed did say in his first reply after the rude one that they were going to fix their helpdesk system so that I wouldn't have all those problems that I described above. Maybe that's why it's different now. At first before then, I thought maybe I should not trust him when he said that he was going to fix their helpdesk system.

-Neil

yes the helpdesk system did get moved. There were a few isolated users that for some reason were not getting helpdesk replies and as a consequence we were not either so alot of things were going unanswered that we were not aware of. The reason I had asked you to go to my own personal email was to avoid things getting lost within the faulty helpdesk. The previous helpdesk (intellodesk) was also having issues with reopening closed ticekts

The response you were classifying as rude was me asking you to respond in one location (email) and to not open any more tickets or reopen closed tickets. There were several occasions where I had received several ticket notifications, one from a closed ticket that could not be located and one in a new ticket queue that again was not notifying me and that is when I had asked you write me personally to bypass the helpdesk.

Our new helpdesk is up and running and fully functional, as with any software there can and will be problems, we acknowledged and fixed the problem with a more reliable solution.

Your payment was not going through because you are international and every now and again there will in fact be errors with international transactions. I allowed you to be setup without payment as a favor to you from one man to another so you did not have to be held up in your hosting project.

Our email system in indeed functional with all pop3 compatible accounts including netscape, I had asked you to setup another one as a test to rule out if you were having an isolated problem in netscape. I had also offered you the option if that failed to allow me to remote assist you via windows messenger so that I may personally get you up and running.

I have devoted a substantial amount of time walking you through everything and attempting to get you going. If you find our services unsatisfactory, I apologize but there is not much more I can do to assist you

Re:

The response you were classifying as rude was me asking you to respond in one location (email) and to not open any more tickets or reopen closed tickets...

Well, again how could I do that if I was unable to receive E-mail from you? Also again you replied to one of my previous tickets before you told me to not open any more tickets or reopen closed tickets and said something like this again not in these exact words:

"Thank you for starting a new ticket, I missed your reply to your previous one."

The response you were classifying as rude was me asking you to respond in one location (email) and to not open any more tickets or reopen closed tickets...

I don't remember re-opening any closed tickets. There is one time, however, when we were in the middle of a conversation in one of my tickets and for some reason that one ticket got closed at that point. I don't know if that was another error to do with the faulty helpdesk. So I then re-opened that one ticket and asked why that ticket got closed in the first place.

Your payment was not going through because you are international and every now and again there will in fact be errors with international transactions...

I think it might have helped if you said something about that the first time I contacted you regarding the billing issue. I didn't know until you said it just now that the problem was due to me being international and that there are many errors all over that are involved in nternational transactions.

...I had also offered you the option if that failed to allow me to remote assist you via windows messenger so that I may personally get you up and running.

Again, I didn't receive the reply that you sent to my E-mail so I didn't know until you said it just now that you had offered to assist me via windows messenger.

-Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back