• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need a new host after what VeoWeb did to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil McRae

I am looking for a host (for my Personal website) that has 24/7 tech support and an active support forum on their site after the bad experience I just had with VeoWeb. I had actually started with Innerweb when I first put my site on a paid host four years ago, but two years ago and two years after that VeoWeb bought them out. I had a payment due last month (I was suppose to be paying VeoWeb once every 12 months for my site) but it didn't go through because they said my credit card was declined because my credit card expired months before and I haven't updated my credit card information since then. I know that it is my procrastination and that I was responsible for updating my credit card information on time, but when VeoWeb sent me the E-mail telling me that my credit card was declined, they didn't give me a valid link where I could go and update my billing information. I think that link would have still been valid if I had updated my credit card information sooner, but then I replied to that E-mail from VeoWeb asking them for a valid link and then they replied and told me not to worry about overdue payments for now and they also told me in that same reply that they (VeoWeb) has been bought out by FWSH (Fire Website Hosting). So I then sent an E-mail to FWSH asking them for a valid link where I could update my billing information and then from what I could understand of them when they replied it sounded like they said that VeoWeb had decided not to sell the hosting customer to them and that they (FWSH) also said that my billing was being done by VeoWeb, that FWSH doesn't have access to VeoWeb's billing information, and to contact VeoWeb regarding my billing information. I then contacted VeoWeb a second time asking them for a valid link, but they replied and told me again not to worry about my site being deleted for not making my payment on time. And then a few days after that, my site went down and I didn't know why. I thought maybe that it did get deleted for not making my payment on time. So anyway, I contacted VeoWeb once again and asked them why my site was down and then when they replied that time they told me that my site is no longer hosted with them and is now hosted with FWSH. So they had me jumping from place to place to get support. Anyway, I was mad at VeoWeb now. I replied to that last reply where they told me for the second time that my site is no longer hosted with them and then they didn't reply to that reply until a week later when they replied and told me that Ron of FWSH managed to botch the transfer and lose hundreds of websites including my website. So that's why my site went down. But luckily, I have a copy of my website backed up on my hard drive with it's latest update meaning that this is the latest version of my site that I have backed up on my hard drive. So when I get my new host, I can just upload that copy and I won't have to re-create my site. I don't think I should host with FWSH after they managed to lose my website data. Also last month, I got an E-mail from Innerweb saying that they are now back in business, but I don't think I should consider hosting with them again after being bumped away from them the first time because if it happened before I could get bumped away from them again sometime in the future to yet another host. So I think there should be something wrong with the company if first being sold and return back. And before I sign up with a host, I will thoroughly research their background to ensure that I don't end up in the same situation a second time. And I want a host who doesn't tell me not to worry about overdue payments and not to worry about my site being deleted for not making payments on time.

Now to add to that, I had a second bad experience when I posted my requirements at WebHostingTalk's Forum. I respect the rule at that board where hosts are no longer allowed to respond to requests that contain my requirements and that things do change within a period of four years, all I meant was that it's a tough and unwelcoming thing to come to IMO after my first bad experience with VeoWeb which I described above. It's now been almost three weeks since my site went down and I have made no progress since then while posting at that board. I have been under a lot of stress since my site went down and I find it to be a big inconvenience going through all the hassle of trying to find a new host. All I want is to have my site back up on my new host whoever they may be and have the whole nightmare over with. Anyway, I won't go into more detail about my second bad experience.

Now, here are my requirements:

-$5 Canadian or less per month.
-atleast 100 MB of space.
-atleast 4 or 5 GB of bandwidth per month.
-cPanel (I prefer cPanel over Plesk)
-supports FTP uploads. (I use WS_FTP95 LE)
-no file size limits.
-allows external linking of image files and downloadable ZIP files. In other words, I get the option of enabling and disabling "Hotlink Protection."
-atleast 25 E-mail accounts/addresses.
-a descent number of FTP accounts. (I'd say maybe atleast 5 to start with)
NOTE: I believe that an FTP account is where I can assign a user to a subdirectory under my hosting account so that they can upload files to that subdirectory as well as any of its subdirectories. Kind of like my account on the paid host being a host itself where I can host users for free.
-the ability to host a phpBB forum. (I currrently have a forum on my site that is powered by phpBB.) (I might also want my host to have the ability to host an Invision Power Board.)
-24/7 tech support. (I want a host where I always get a fast response if I contact them or submit a helpdesk ticket and where someone will always be there say while the host's staff takes a vacation.)
-host always sends me an invoice each time I have a payment coming up.
-and if I have a payment due while I was sent an E-mail months before saying that my credit card has expired and I haven't yet updated my credit card infomration, I always get a warning E-mail in advance before my account is deleted or I'm frequently prompted via E-mail once my credit card has expired until my credit card information is updated.
-supports the VISA credit card as payment method and doesn't require me to use PayPal.
-allows me to pay annually (once per year) for my hosting. I would prefer this option over paying my host once every month or once every three months.
-host has a forum on its site where members can ask for technical support as well as ask eachother for help with MySQL/CGI issues, FTP issues, etc.

And I am looking for "UNIX / LINUX HOSTING." Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that would be the best out of these six following hosting options for a Personal website about a classic computer game:
-UNIX / LINUX HOSTING
-WINDOWS HOSTING
-RESELLER HOSTING
-E-COMMERCE HOSTING
-DEDICATED SERVERS
-COLOCATION HOSTING

And if whichever host I end up going with has their own domain service, I would like to transfer my domain (which is stuntsillusion.com) over to them because that domain is currently hosted with Registerapi who are (or use to be, I'm not sure if they still are) associated with Innerweb. And now while I'm in the process of changing hosts, it might be a good time to get rid of the subdomain stunts.illusionwd.com which my domain is currently parked on top of and is currently the master domain for my account and making stuntsillusion.com the master domain for my account so that I can enable E-mail on that domain such as user@stuntsillusion.com for example. So this way, I can finaly get rid of my free Yahoo Mail account and give myself one of the 25 or more E-mail addresses that will be on my account. Now, here are my requirements for the domain hosting:
-host allows me to redirect my domain to any URL outside the host I end up going with incase any time in the future I end up changing hosts again I can still keep my domain with this host if I'm still satisfied with their service. So in other words, as long as the host supports URL redirecting.
-host allows me to use the E-mail part of Netscape to access my mail and Netscape Composer to compose my messages if I enable E-mail on my domain.

And finaly, I did say in my post at that other board that I would try to cut back on making such large posts when I post at this board. This should hopefully be my largest post out of all the posts I make on this board and out of this post combined with all the replies (if any) I add to this topic because I do have a lot of requirements.

-Neil

Last edited:
Hello,

DigitalWorldHost can't meet all those requirements (we don't provide true 24/7 support) so I am not going to post any offers but I just wanted to say how good it was to see a request from someone who know what they are looking for and have targets. :) excellent post!

Yes, you may find it very hard to find true 24/7 support. But I, as well, am glad that Neil knows exactly what he wants.

We need more of them. While NeonCube Internet Solutions does not have true 24/7 support, we can exceed all other requirements.

Try AvailNetworks, Revolutionary Host, RTG, Site5, HostGator, Primitive, etc....all very good providers :D Good luck

We too can not provide true 24/7 support. However we do offer support through IM, 24/7 support ticket, and a active forum. If you wish, I can make a nice offer for you.

PS: Thank you for the kind words Hostfrog. We do our best.

Since 24/7 support is a must i can only say if you like you can try my hosting, link to site is in my signature. But since i am in SK,canada so might be able to give you support as and when needed since probably your hours of working would be same as mine.

Hello,

We can meet your requirements however we do not have 24/7 support. Our servers are the Highest Quality hosted in Dallas. We have had no major server issues and offer support to the best of out abillities. We have an established forum and a brandnew billing/support center for clients use. Email me with anymore question you may have and we hope too serve you in the hosting community

Regards,
Paul Buckley
sales@zx4host.com

Just wanted to say nice research Neal. Sounds like you're well versed as a customer. Good luck with finding hosting. I would recommend Host Frog.

**Subscribed to thread**

<<Mod Edit: When posting an offer, you must list the included features and a price>>

Last edited by a moderator:
We can include all the features you stated above. Here's our offer:

-10 GB of bandwidth
- 1 gb of space
- ftp supported (unlimited ftp accounts)
- no file size limit
- unlimited email accounts
- cpanel
- true 24/7 support -- phone is available for 16 hours a day while the 8-hour night staff responds via email, support tickets, and live chat via request.

for $5 canadian.

This offer is exclusively on this board and available for a limited time.

Brushed-Red Hosting offers the most reliable web hosting out there. We have 24/7 ticketing support. We also have live support if you need an answer quickly. Our ready staff is always there to answer your questions and concerns.

We offer:

250mb of space
4000mb of bandwidth
Unlimited Subdomains
Unlimited FTP
Unlimited MySQL
Cpanel
Fantastico
Phpmyadmin
AND MUCH MORE...

All for only $2.99 a month.

Check us out at:

http://brushed-red.com

Re:

hi all,:wave:

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to reply to my post.:)

Originally posted by heymrdj
We too can not provide true 24/7 support. However we do offer support through IM, 24/7 support ticket, and a active forum...

Does "24/7 support ticket" not mean the same thing as "24/7 tech support?"

Originally posted by HostFrog
Try AvailNetworks, Revolutionary Host, RTG, Site5, HostGator, Primitive, etc....all very good providers :biggrin2: Good luck

Wow, HostFrog, that sure is a lot of hosts for me to look at.

Originally posted by a1whs.com
Since 24/7 support is a must i can only say if you like you can try my hosting, link to site is in my signature. But since i am in SK,canada so might be able to give you support as and when needed since probably your hours of working would be same as mine.

I see that your "Starter Plan" doesn't meet my bandwidth requirement because it only offers me 3 GB of bandwidth per month and I see that your support forum isn't very active, but I might consider you because you are in Canada and it looks like your "Starter Plan" matches the rest of my requirements like for example 15 FTP accounts sounds like a good deal. Innerweb was also a Canadian hosting company, so that's why I went with them to start with. Again, HostFrog gave me a lot of hosts to look at plus a lot of you have replied with more offers, so I'm gunna be busy spending the next while looking at hosts. And as for your support forum not being very active, I guess like a lot of you said it is very hard to find true 24/7 support. I will post back here once I finish looking through all the hosts:), or I might E-mail you if I have more questions about one of your hosts in particular.

...since probably your hours of working would be same as mine.

Not quite, I don't think. You are in Saskatchewan while I am in British Columbia, so I think you would be two hours ahead of me.

Originally posted by rohitj
This offer is exclusively on this board and available for a limited time.

How much time do I got until this offer expires?

Originally posted by NetCafe
We would loved to offer "something" if only I can read "something" out of his thesis.

Do you mean "if only you can read "something" out of my thesis?" What exactly do you mean by that? Were you not able to understand my post above?:confused:

A lot of your offers look tempting to me and I will take a look at all of them.

Thank you again for all of your offers.

-Neil

I recall seeing your post on WHT as well and I believe we can help you out if you are looking for a good solution. While we do not have a support forum we do have 24x7 staff available with 30 mins maximum response times regardless of the time of day. We took down our forums simply because the lack of client interest

Invoices by us are sent 5 days before they are due and will be due on the same day of the month

Our Shared hosting plans will be right up your alley and although normally we would be above your budget, for the month of April we are celebrating our one year anniversary and are giving 50% off shared, reseller, remote backup, and all business hosting packages.

please view out packages here http://www.availnetworks.net/hosting-shared.html

Level I Hosting
1.5GB Storage
15GB Data Transfer
Cpanel
$5.93/mo normal or $2.97/mo with the coupon "availanniversary"

this sale is going on until April 30th so please take your time and evaluate us and order at your leisure

If you find we are not a match then I would take a close look at the other hostfrog mentioned and most definately hostfrog themselves

Well Neil McRae you know why support forum is not active ?

Because no one ever had any issues that needed to use forums everything is done using email or via live support. But trust me if you have issues you wont be posting on forums either cause i prefer email to solve problems if they occur. And dont worry about bw issues i do not suspend accounts that use up 2 or 3 gb extra of bw as i got plenty on me.

Plus yes 2 hrs difference but you wont ever be in need of support. But i dont know if you would like to pay via paypal, however i do accept echecks via paypal.

Cheers.

What I meant was if you punctuate your request, I would be in a better position to understand what you need and offer you something :)

Anyway, Since you are so keen, I tried very best to look inside the letters and I think I can offer you this:

Storage: 1gb Space
Bandwidth: 10gb
cpanel c/w fantastico
88 of all standard features
.......................................us$1.50 payable at least 6 months (paypal).

Let me know if our offer interests you.

"Do you mean "if only you can read "something" out of my thesis?" What exactly do you mean by that? Were you not able to understand my post above?"

Re:

Well Neil McRae you know why support forum is not active ?

Because no one ever had any issues that needed to use forums everything is done using email or via live support. But trust me if you have issues you wont be posting on forums either cause i prefer email to solve problems if they occur...

There were times while I hosted my site with Innerweb and with VeoWeb when I sent them an E-mail because I needed technical support, but sometimes they took forever to get back to me and sometimes they didn't even get back to me at all. VeoWeb did have poor support. Anyway, that's why I asked for "24/7 tech support" and for "an active support forum." And that's also why I said this in my post at WHT's forum:

Originally posted by Neil McRae
Then again, I think maybe I should have some phone support, I think I should maybe try and go with a host that has a phone number I can call anytime just incase they aren't answering they're E-mail and their HelpDesk.

I also see that you have "live support" on your site, but I also see that there aren't always operators avalable to assist me during my hours.

...And dont worry about bw issues i do not suspend accounts that use up 2 or 3 gb extra of bw as i got plenty on me.

So you mean that if I use up my 3 GB of bandwidth in one month, you won't mind if I use an extra 2 or 3 GB?

...But i dont know if you would like to pay via paypal, however i do accept echecks via paypal.

Originally posted by NetCafe
us$1.50 payable at least 6 months (paypal).

So you guys mean that PayPal is currently the only payment method both of you support? If yes, then I guess both of you are out because I don't want to sign up for PayPal and I'd rather use my VISA credit card.

-Neil

Re:

Originally posted by Yellowmc
You can do that through Paypal or would you prefer to pay using another credit card merchant?

I meant "not be required to be a member of PayPal." I want a host that supports other payment methods besides PayPal, the payment method I prefer is just to pay with my VISA credit card while not using PayPal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back