• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need a Host

Savizzaviz

Okay...

I have been looking for a host for some time now and have found that my willing paid amount has risen, though not too much. :D
Anyway, I had found this one host that was almost perfect:

Account Highlights:
• 400 Megs of disk space
• 9 Gigs of monthly traffic
• 24x7 ftp access
• Automatic Nightly Backups

Email Features:
• 30 POP3 Accounts
• 30 Mailman Mailing Lists
• Unlimited Forwarding Accounts
• Unlimited Alias Accounts
• Unlimited Auto-responders
• Spam Assassin

Server Specifications:
• Red Hat Linux 7.2
• Raid 1 / Hot Swap
• Dual Pentium 3 1 Ghz
• 1 gig ECC SDRAM

Data Center Specification:
• Multiple OC-12 Connectivity
• UPS Power Backup
• 24x7 Network Monitoring

Account Features:
• 10 MySQL Accounts
• 30 FTP Accounts
• 30 Sub Domain Accounts
• Telnet/ SSH
• Automatic Redirects
• MX Record Changer
• Free Perl Module Installations
• Your OWN CGI-Bin
• Real Audio / Video Support
• Webalizer Stats

Additional Features:
• 30 FTP Accounts
• Bandwidth Stats
• PHP 4.1.0 w/ PHPMyAdmin
• MySQL
• Pre-Installed CGI Scripts
• Advanced Web Center Control Panel
• FrontPage 2002 Extensions Support
• Agora E-Commerce Shopping Cart
• Shared Secure Server
• Server Side Includes

All of this for only $11.95/month with no set-up fee. Sadly, though, they would not host CGI forum... And I have an Ikonboard forum. So I must move on.

Does anyone know of a good host that would provide relatively this same package for about the same price? Preferably not more money though, but more stuff would be great. :D

Thanks in advance :smiley2:

I think you will find many of the better hosts will not let you run a cgi based forum. They're known security risks and have the potential to cause far more trouble than they are worth. Also cgi forums are resource hogs too. You'd be far better off with a php/mySQL based forum like PHPBB or invisionboard (written by the same people as ikonboard). Any paid host with php/mySQL support should host those, no problem.

Thanks Tazzman, I did not know that... But I guess it makes sence.

About the php/mySQL based forums... Is there any good free ones? Or at least cheap? And can you transfer Ikokboard databases between them?

There are several good free PHP boards. If the host you sign up with has CPanel as the control panel, it comes with XMBforum for free. Just make one click in the control panel and it's created.

Also phpBB, invisionboard(basically the PHP version of Ikonboard), and there are a few others. I'd go with one of those three.

I used to administer an Ikonboard, and it was very unstable compared to those three.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks APEXware.
I am pretty sure that BurtonHosting.com, the host I intend to go with, unless anyone knows of any problems with them, has a CPanel so at least I know I have more options. :)
Would it be possible to transfer my Ikonboard database to one of the PHP forums? I really don't want to have to start from scratch again, and I don't think my board members would appreciate it that much either.

There are converters around. Take a look at the official phpBB page (www.phpbb.com) - they almost definitely have a converter for IkonBoard. I've personally never used one, so I can't tell you how they work or anything.

Invisionboard has more of an Ikonboard look to it last I checked. So you and your board members might be more used to it. PHPbb is great from what everyone says, but I like other board system layouts and the 'look' of them better than PHPbb, but that's just me. I'd say it would probably be better for you to go with Invisionboard.

Has Invisionboard got a stable release yet?

PHPBB is released and stable, so I'd go for it over Invisionboard.

Anyway, they both look really ugly with the "fancy" gradients and everything everwhere. Flat colours look a lot better to me. I know you can rid it of the stupid gradients, but even so, the only boards I like are vBulletin (provided they aren't using the default theme, especially when they design a logo that fits in perfectly over the default vB logo).

I'd say phpBB. I actually am quite fond of its default layout and you can get skins for it.

Maybe just maybe you can get the same deal I have. Myacen gave me pretty much the exact same thing for $4.95 a month but only 5 databases if you can live without more

Edit: I believe Myacen does not allow Ikonboard, as it is the worst forum ever for a server

Originally posted by guitarnerd
Edit: I believe Myacen does not allow Ikonboard, as it is the worst forum ever for a server

Well then what are they good for? :rolleyes: :)

Well I have already signed up for hosting through Burton Hosting but I will keep in mind all of your suggestions for next time.

Thanks again everyone. :D

No a host that allows Ikonboard is not as good. Because Myacen is more concerned with all there members than other hosts who don't really care about all there customers

Originally posted by guitarnerd
......other hosts who don't really care about all there customers
That's a rather broad statement guitarnerd and uncalled for.

Yeah I was trying to type quickly cause I am leaving...

Let me rephrase
They are more concerned about there customers recieving good performance. Since Ikonboard is really bad on the cpu the server would just crash if everyone or even half the people used it. So they make it fair.

Back