• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Mysql vs Oracle

Frenzy

Hi,

I was wondering why people says that Oracle is better then Mysql for large sites. Can anyone tell me the price for Oracle please. I also know that developpers charge alot more for Oracle.

Waiting for replies,
Max

Oracle is a far more robust and feature-filled database than mySQL. MySQL is great for small or mid-size sites, but when you start needing things like transactions, triggers, or have more entries than a few million -- you need oracle.

mjk@atlascgi.com

mySQL chokes when it gets hunderds of simultanious connections, orcale doesn't :). But unless you have a database intensive site that pulls several ten thousands a day, stick with mySQL.

>transactions, triggers, or have more entries than a few >million -- you need oracle

I think the new MySql version supports transactions (commit, rollback). If i remember correctly, stored procedures are not supported though. A "few million entries" is not that much data to handle and will work great with MySql.

Yeah, you are more likely to use up your hard disk space then run out of supported room in mysql. If you set it up right btw.

Back