• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My First Professional Project

megacool

Hi guys, i've been making websites for long .. but those were just for fun and as a hobby. This one is a my first serious professional site.. although its uses free services for hosting/redirection, cuz my client is actually a relative so its basically a favour i had done to them. Anyhow please a take a detailed look on http://www.netchatcomp.com .. Its not a large site but i have gave in everything on everypage as far as creativity, acessibility and interactiviy is concerned. I alsmot took me two months to complete this thing. I made all the graphics myself some photos were collected from the net. I wanted to give a visual experience to the user too. All your comments/praise/cristicism is most welcome.

One more thing, I need to know what should be a good Price to ask for this site? the coding and graphics are my own, most free dhtml/js/ scripts.. a few of my own scripts.. and some customizied free perl scripts. Thank you very much for your time. I hope to get some good feedback. Happy new year :)

p.s O o ( Wouldn't it be nice if you sign the guestbook too? If you like the site of course ;)

[Edited by megacool on 01-03-2001 at 07:15 AM]

It does not look bad... not bad at all... altho I don't like the use of arial as a font here... don't know why, it just doesn't seem to fit...

Originally posted by jvv
It does not look bad... not bad at all... altho I don't like the use of arial as a font here... don't know why, it just doesn't seem to fit...

I think its the standard font... and the other font Verdana is pretty similar.. by the way,.. which page u meant? or the whole site? Thanks for ur time.

Very nice... shame it's on f2s and I also think the rest of the site needs maybe a faded background to batch the main picture... dunno....

Great site though! :)

''Best viewed in Internet Explorer....bla bla bla''

Looks very unprofessional. Sites should be optimized for all 4.x browsers.

Originally posted by Nick
''Best viewed in Internet Explorer....bla bla bla''

Looks very unprofessional. Sites should be optimized for all 4.x browsers.

Mr Nick.. did u mind seeing it in Netscape or IE 4.0? ;)

Originally posted by }:8) Supermoo
Very nice... shame it's on f2s and I also think the rest of the site needs maybe a faded background to batch the main picture... dunno....

Great site though! :)

Yeah I know. and i admit the site loads slow. but i am moving it today to! a Paid host... thats why i was asking for options in Paidhosting forums.. gonna move it today to a fast server probably dim8 or wzpro..

about the background thing.. sure but i think it will be too much wait for the user..thanks for ur comments though Mr SuperMoo :)

[Edited by megacool on 01-04-2001 at 06:10 AM]

They mean look at it in Netscape, looks like shit.

I'm not feeling this design too much, colors are weird and not nice. I wouldnt pay more than $50 for it, and thats because of the domain name (good one).

Needs a good bit of work....

[*] - the main page is completely different from the site
[*] - the top dHTML bar thingee
[*] - no right click -- tsk! tsk!
[*] - toooo much use of css
[*] - menu looks like something you'd see after smoking the magical green leaf ;)
[*] - net96@hotmail.com = unprofessional
[*] - guesbooks have no place in business sites
[*] - 'resources' page is useless
[*] + overall good use of royalty-free images
[*] - the site doesn't seem to be focused on selling computers. to much 'fluff'.

Re: Needs a good bit of work....

Originally posted by Nick
[*] - the main page is completely different from the site
[*] - the top dHTML bar thingee
[*] - no right click -- tsk! tsk!
[*] - toooo much use of css
[*] - menu looks like something you'd see after smoking the magical green leaf ;)
[*] - net96@hotmail.com = unprofessional
[*] - guesbooks have no place in business sites
[*] - 'resources' page is useless
[*] + overall good use of royalty-free images
[*] - the site doesn't seem to be focused on selling computers. to much 'fluff'.

I wanted to create a Splash page, since its not one of those sites that people would visit everyday. So i made the first page like that. I know the top dhtml bar chokes up 25kb.. but i had to put it.. I've made compromise on flash. So i thought to just put this thingy. Or my client won't get impressed..lol.. Seriously i don't see any thing bad in no right click.. its my code. Yeah i know the e-mail address is a bit sucky.. and also guestbook is a bit of just spicing up thing. Can you suggest what more i can put there? Since these guys do there business offline.. this is basically for services info/contact purposes. So tell me what do u mean by too much use of css? I think using css is good. What abuse u think i did? Well the left menu has bg of a image.. that is a close up photo graphic shot of a monitor screen so basically are pixels.. Anyhow.. Thanks for taking time to have a look :) i appreciate. I will change some things in this site, but the rest are to please my client. I think i will change the splash page. Suggest. Thanks dude :)

Re: Re: Needs a good bit of work....

Originally posted by megacool

I wanted to create a Splash page, since its not one of those sites that people would visit everyday. So i made the first page like that.

I still don't like it :p.

I know the top dhtml bar chokes up 25kb.. but i had to put it.. I've made compromise on flash. So i thought to just put this thingy. Or my client won't get impressed..lol..

Impressed? No offense, but I would not pay for a site with that bar thing, and it's not the fact it takes 25kbs. It's the fact that it's completely useless. There is no point to having a FOURTH menu on the site, and it looks absolutely stupid and newbie-ish.

Seriously i don't see any thing bad in no right click.. its my code.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Did it ever occur to people that there is more than just a View Source option on the right click menu? I use right click for Refresh, Back, Forward, Add To Favorites, Print, Refresh, Properties, and save file to i-drive. A lot of people I know do the same, and when I don't have the buttons turned on in IE, it is quite friggin irritating to have to use keyboard shortcuts. Also, this displays a newbie technique.

Yeah i know the e-mail address is a bit sucky..

Why not try a cjb.net address, even support@netchatcomp.cjb.net would look a little bit (not a lot, but a bit) better IMHO.

and also guestbook is a bit of just spicing up thing.

Spicing up? A gbook is only for personal site IMO, and a business site doesn't need "spicing up", it needs factual information, contact information, sales prices, etc. Not "spice".

Can you suggest what more i can put there? Since these guys do there business offline.. this is basically for services info/contact purposes.

Then keep if down to services, info/contact purposes. Keep the site to the point. If I want to log into Yahoo mail, I'm going to http://mail.yahoo.com/. Why would I want to go through another site and delay the process? If I go to a site to buy a computer, I 'm there to buy a computer, not sign the guest book, or login to email, I'm there to buy a computer.

So tell me what do u mean by too much use of css? I think using css is good.

Not when people are using browsers that don't support all of it. It doesn't matter if you like a browser or not, what matters is what browser the viewer is using. From personal experiences, I have found that a lot of libraries, businesses, and schools with outdated computers still use Netscape, and there are quite a few people in my school that prefer Netscape. You have to cater to your visitors.

What abuse u think i did?

Huh?

Thanks dude :)

No problamoh.

The splash page hurts my eyes I would suggest just going with a smaller graphic and if your site is about computers then try using a computer as the graphic it should kinda tell the people what the site is about.

The dhtml menu on the main page does not fit at all especially when you have the quick links drop down box and side bar that contain the same things.

Most professional sites that I have seen do not use the javascript in the taksbar thing anymore.

I agree with Nick that there is no need for the mail portal as most people do not get the sudden urge to check their email when visiting someones site and I doubt it would ever get used.

As far as the Netsacpe thing goes it does not look too bad but I would still suggest fixing up the code so it looks the same in all browsers. The only reason I mention this is say the person wanting to buy the site off of you uses Netscape and they come to your site viewing it in Netscape and if it does not look professional then they might pass it by.

If you plan on keeping it as it is then I would say you sell it for $70.00 and call it a day but if you fix it up alittle then you could charge up to $350.00 and it should sell ok.

The prices are lower then they could be but since you use other peoples scripts and such then you can not charge for them so I had to deduct for those things.

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth and good luck.

I mostly agree with what the others say.
-The only sites I've seen a no right-click sode in effect is on warez sites (not that I would download any). It is very annoying to have an alert pop-up if you try to do any of the functions the handy right click option has.
-The dHTML bar at the top should not be there if you have a nav menu on the left as well.
-ANYTHING BUT a hotmail address.
-And the use of CSS on the left nav bar does not look good.
-Also, the splash page is okay, but I think when you click home, it should go to a different main page.
-The resources page is pretty useless.

Hmm...guess I agree totally with the others. Well, now you've heard from a couple of people!

does the fact that u r violating the tos of namezero have anything to do with why u put the no right click thing up? view the source to see it.

Originally posted by razor
does the fact that u r violating the tos of namezero have anything to do with why u put the no right click thing up? view the source to see it.

If it did, that would be stupid. Considering when you right click for source you view the source of the current frame and the only one visable is the page there would be absolutely no purpose in doing that.

went /saw/clicked around and..

Nice job I can tell you put alot into it. The view source cut off was a bummer. I believe you used Dreamweaver to build this site. The resources page, I liked the serch engine deal. But my take on the email login area is most people will think your out to get user pass word. The change in mouse-over effect works well. Site takes about 15 seconds to load at 56k. On a scale from 1 to 10 you get an 8.7 Great Job. Ok I need to finish building my site so you can all fix my spelling ar,ar,ar Fin

Back