• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My computer is a box of shit

Blank Verse

NLC
NLC
OK, so I bought this computer off a friend of mine, and on paper, it's not a bad system. I'm not gonna go into detail about the specs, cause that's really pointless to the thread, I think, but here's what you should know:

1 - Unfortunately, this thing runs Windows ME. I don't really plan on changing that right now, due to being a poor, lazy student, who also happens to be me :p

2 - This thing is pissing me off. I desperately need to defrag this mother, but when I run the defragmenter, it never ventures past 0%. Also, it tends to crash whenever I try to shut down/restart/log off. what a piece. Can anyone help me overcome these little problems?

Well, if I were going to go that route, I'd just switch to another OS. My friend left a whole shitload of software on the computer for me, but, unfortunately, I don't have any of the original discs for anything, and that includes ME.

Well, see, this sheds light on another program. I bought the computer off of him so I could use it at university...which is where I currently am...on the other side of the country. I could have him mail them, but if there is anything else in the meantime I can do, that'd be a big help.

Well, you ought to seriously think about the softwares that you really need and will be using. There's not much point in keeping a zillion apps installed on the computer when you're aren't going to touch any of 'em.

Consider trying to get the original disc from somebody you know from the university.

Originally posted by LeX
Well, you ought to seriously think about the softwares that you really need and will be using. There's not much point in keeping a zillion apps installed on the computer when you're aren't going to touch any of 'em.

Consider trying to get the original disc from somebody you know from the university.

This is not really the point. I have actually deleted the software I don't use already, abd everything that's left, I have or intend to use. All I wanna do is defrag my computer, or shut it down without it crashing.

The shutting down without crashing I don't know about (defragging it might fix it ;)) but have you tried a 3rd-party defragger?

Originally posted by notnamed
The shutting down without crashing I don't know about (defragging it might fix it ;)) but have you tried a 3rd-party defragger?

I figure I'd be able to shut it down if I could defrag too, but is there a defragger you would recommend? Does anybody have any experience with one?

i discovered with my last computer that the screensaver screws up the defragmentation process on my comp.. so disable the screensaver... then try defrag.. just turn the monitor off

it doesn't do anything before the screensaver goes on though, because, yeah, I've seen that happen before, and that was my initial reaction.

Hmm...try checking what processes are running. Maybe there are a whole bunch of useless stuff that runs on startup. I don't know if it works on ME, but if you go into RUN, and type MSCONFIG, then select the Startup Tab. And uncheck anything that seems useless.

Quite frankly, formatting seems your best choice...What other stuff on there do you need?

Originally posted by Canuckkev
Quite frankly, formatting seems your best choice...What other stuff on there do you need?
I also think formatting and doing a clean install is the best solution.

Install win2k, if you can get your hands on it.

Just ask some university admin, they will prob have a CD, just need a license code, and off you go :).

Originally posted by Blank Verse
All I wanna do is defrag my computer, or shut it down without it crashing.

If you're shutting it down...let it crash! Blah. Crashing has always been faster than shutting down anyways. :p

Most people are under the impression defragging solves 99% of their problems. "What? Windows crashed? Oh well, defrag." "I defragged my computer but it still wont turn on!" (huh?) "My car won't start. Should I defrag the engine?"

All defragging does is make the data on the hard drive quicker to access. One bit of data could be at the beginning of the drive, the next bit might be at the end, and back n forth, making the lil needle jump around alot. If a computer is processing something, or reading/writing to memory, , it'll have nothing to do with the hard drive, and thus defrag won't fix it.

Amazing that some people still think defragging will speed up their internet connection too. :D

Back