• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My computer hangs on some games

leetcrew

My computer freezes on some games especially GTA vice city. What suppose to be the problem? Are there any conflicts with regards with my hardware?

Windows 98 SE OEM
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ OEM
Inno 3d GE Force 4 MX 5200
WD 40 GB HDD 7200 RPM (50:50 partition)
256MB DDR
ECS N2U400 Main Board

thanks

Inno 3d GE Force 4 MX 5200 -- This is your top priority, as the Video Card is where your video memory (ram) is stored. If the game requires 128 MB of video ram/memory... then you have to check if that is what you got.

256MB DDR -- This is your second top priority, your RAM is what allows your computer to store temporary data to be read by a program on the H.D.D... if the program requires x amount of RAM, you should really get more than that... and not the exact amount (as windows needs ram to run in the BG).

Also, if you're running any instant messaging programs... please close them. It doesn't matter if you're giving someone hints for the game in mid-play... you HAVE to close these.

Next, see if you have any internet programs running at the moment (except for Norton products such as Norton Personal Firewall, etc.) close these programs... ESPECIALLY a program like internet explorer. On windows OS's... you can use ALY+TAB to switch from the program you are currently running to another program.

The only thing I can find wrong with your computer, is the Windows 98. More and more games are ditching support for the DOS-based OSs. NT is becoming way more popular.

Other thing might be your processor overheating. If it hits over 60 degrees Celsius on idle temperature, then you can safely assume it is the temperature.

hello

i think thats the problem with the Graphics card.if u can afford 2 buy FX 5200 nvidia,then the problem will be surely solved.

Daniel said:
The only thing I can find wrong with your computer, is the Windows 98. More and more games are ditching support for the DOS-based OSs. NT is becoming way more popular.

Other thing might be your processor overheating. If it hits over 60 degrees Celsius on idle temperature, then you can safely assume it is the temperature.

You are mistaken... I have tried to install Grandia II on my XP Home Edition Computer... and I can't get past the Game Arts logo... and I have over 128 MB of Video RAM, and more than enough RAM... and I have DirectX 9.0.

Also, I run Grandia II from my Win98 machine... and it works SUPER FAST.

My system:

Windows 98
Pentium III -- 51X MHz
ATI Rage 128 Video Card
SoundBlaster 16 Sound Card
348 MB RAM
CD-RW (52x24x52x)

That's about it.

Last edited:
Back