• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

movie hosting on server

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
Does anyone know of a good script that I can use on a shared hosting account for uploading videos?

These are videos that I have bought, and burned to my pc so I can watch wherever I am.

Unfortunately, they are taking up a lot of space on my external, so I want to place them on my server. However, the only way it allows me to watch, is if I download the movie to the PC again.

So, is there a script that I can use, that will allow me to upload and watch them? kind of like youtube or something, but something I can place on my own server and web url. Won't be for the public.

But with the video mod you can watch the movies online.

They also have a video script, but I never used that.

Do you have your own server or do you have shared hosting?

If you don't mind super-primitive solutions (like me!) and you know enough about some programming language to add and print out information to/from a database, you could make your own script in less than an hour probably. Just set a folder (like root/example/videos), make a recursive function to check the folder and its subfolders for video files, and add the info to a database. Then, have a page that prints out all the records in the table, and a page that prints out a particular record. You can use an HTML5 video player to watch it online. I'd suggest something like VideoJS or Video for Everybody.

Do you have your own server or do you have shared hosting?

If you don't mind super-primitive solutions (like me!) and you know enough about some programming language to add and print out information to/from a database, you could make your own script in less than an hour probably. Just set a folder (like root/example/videos), make a recursive function to check the folder and its subfolders for video files, and add the info to a database. Then, have a page that prints out all the records in the table, and a page that prints out a particular record. You can use an HTML5 video player to watch it online. I'd suggest something like VideoJS or Video for Everybody.

I appreciate it, but even after all this time, my tech knowledge is pretty non sufficient. I have learned some over the years, but not even enough to consider myself a novice.

Probably easiest searching for a youtube clone George, there are a few decent ones all with server requirements you might not get on shared hosting though.

http://clip-bucket.com and http://phpmotion.com are 2 you could look at though.

Well strangely enough clipbucket is working out a LOT better than phpmotion did for me.

I am using that right now. Will just need to password protect the site so not every tom ---- and joe can go on there.

Thanks Decker for the info about it.

No probs mate :)

Your always good for something to get my brain to wake up and pay attention for a minute or 2 :D

Instead of passwording you could just stick it in a subdirectory with a name you'll remember and type easily that no-one else would think of.

No probs mate :)

Your always good for something to get my brain to wake up and pay attention for a minute or 2 :D

Instead of passwording you could just stick it in a subdirectory with a name you'll remember and type easily that no-one else would think of.

Well, in that case, perhaps you could help met, yet again?

As mentioned, clipbucket seems to work good. It uploads the movie 100% but then nothing happens, and the blue line doesn't go all the way across.

Not sure if you are familiar with the software, but perhaps you might know why? A setting or something could be off, I don't know.

clipbucket.png

I finally got the progress bar to go all the way to the right...however, still does not go to a success upload screen and admincp shows no videos...wth?

George, make sure you meet clipbucket's server requirements. According to their site you need:

PHP 5.2.x & MySql 5.x.x
PHP with Background Processing and Exec Enabled
GD Library For Captchas and Other Image Manuplation
FFMPEG – FLVTOOL2 – MP4Box

Hope this helps.

That comes up on step 2 of the install, it checks for modules it needs.

Having a prob with MP4Box install and didn't have time to sort it out yet George, haven't forgotten you :)

You might want to check your php.ini and modify the "post_max_size" and "upload_max_filesize". This is sometimes the cause of files uploading but not completing.

Be careful and make sure you set passwords to watch the videos because even if you have bought them they are still not "Yours" and streaming of the videos is still illegal.... Just saying :)

Thanks again. The issues happened to be that hostgator shared services wont allow the script to run.

Oh George ... :D

Leave it to me right? lol

Everything else was WORKING, so I figured that should be too. Then when I noticed the thing about the ffmpeg (or whatever it is called), and then found out, hostgator doesnt have it on shared accounts. smh!

Back