• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Moderated?

As far as I am aware they should still be unless its a glitch or something.... PEO!!!!!! JAN!!!!!!!

I remember that one, so I must have clicked the wrong button... Sorry.

Doh! No worries. Just wanted to make sure these folks weren't bypassing the system somehow.

Thanks guys!

So I'm new and thought I'd give a detailed account of my wrestling experience with the first post anti-spam system here. This is my first time posting like this for approval, and definitely an interesting experience - am glad of the learning opportunity.

I'm a bit of a post fanatic and reasonably experienced Forum wise, but I'd say for your average Joe who lands at the forum, and has to negotiate all of these hurdles, like trying to balance out the captchas while trying to figure out the posting tools has to be daunting at best. The captchas are horrible. Can't imagine how many times I've had to refresh these boxes as they are almost impossible to decipher. Now imagine having to complete them post by post by post for 10 posts! I'd love to hear people's feedback about this particular brand of captcha. Got to be one of the least user-friendly around.

DAJ9wKf.jpg

I've seen some Forums with maybe a a couple or more test posts for approval, but never as many as 10, why that many, wouldn't 3-5 be more than enough? Another uncomfortable experience was the feeling of posting blind as of course I couldn't see the posts I was making. So it would have been great if there had been some kind of statistic in my profile for unapproved posts like 9 posts (out of 10) so I could at least anticipate when this discomfort would come to an end. Maybe just below that stat could be another stat line for 9/15 or 9/20 for an avatar. Something to look forward to while the approval process is ongoing.

Most interesting challenge however was right with the very first post I made in the 10 year birthday thread. I found a pop-up in my face all of the time that I couldn't move out of the way, nor cancel out - there was no cancel "x" available in it. I tried to get out of the thread to the point of getting out of the Forum, but as soon as I was back that pesky pop-up was back again. I didn't even know who the person was, or else I'd have gone ahead and submitted it. So kind'a ironic I thought, here I'm being treated a spammer until proven a non-spammer, while being spammed with a pop-up post. :lol:

eaxpAN4.jpg

Hahaha, thats terrible. That could scare off a lot of new members.

The second word is tvkorea by the way ;)

While it does indeed look like there is a lot of automation taking place, look at the amount of spam we have here on this forum. None?

It's so rare to see spam here, that I am quite happy with how they have things set up. It's a wonderful breath of fresh air to come to a forum every day (and I'm here a lot...LOL) and see absolutely no spam at all...ever. It looks like there are perhaps a few things that need to be modified on the automation front (the reputation, for example...no idea why that would pop up on its own and never go away), but overall, the moderation here is extremely good.

The amount of spam you see on the forum... None... The amount of spam that I and the other moderators see is still a decent amount but much less than I have seen on other forums.

Long process to get through and a pain I would agree but overall for the better

Wouldn't there be less spam however if there is much less activity in a Forum? Like I usually see more spam when a forum is much more active. The less traffic the less spam is attracted. I'm a moderator at a forum that is just about dead in the water and I've seen it going from quite a bit of spam, although well managed with the usual spam tools, to almost zero spam. In fact it's so quiet, I'm almost looking forward to the spam posts. :p

Wouldn't there be less spam however if there is much less activity in a Forum? Like I usually see more spam when a forum is much more active. The less traffic the less spam is attracted. I'm a moderator at a forum that is just about dead in the water and I've seen it going from quite a bit of spam, although well managed with the usual spam tools, to almost zero spam. In fact it's so quiet, I'm almost looking forward to the spam posts. :p

Which forum is that, I can make some ;)

We're all here on probation... :p Is there any specific feature you don't have access to at the moment?

We're all here on probation... :p Is there any specific feature you don't have access to at the moment?

I can't -rep anybody. I can "approve" only.
Am I locked out for some reason? Or in some probationary/restricted usergroup?

fwsapproveonly.png

Back