• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Modem Settings

Gayowulf

G-d
NLC
I am on a dialup connection. I have a 56k modem that came with my computer and can connect at a maximum of 28.8k.

lately my connection has been conecting at 28.8, but download speeds are a lot slower. the connection stops working after about 10 minutes, then disconnecs, or I have to disconnect it myself and reconnect so it will work again.

After doing this a few times, i cannot connect properly until I restart my computer, then the whole cycle starts all over again.

I spoke to my isp, and they say it is not them; no other users report problems, and they cant see anything wron with the servers, as they were just updated. He said to check my connection settings.

Id like to do this, but dont know where to start.

You obviously don't have a very good ISP, the help desk should take you through it step by step to make sure your settings are compatible with theirs.

Mine will give me some extra settings to put in the advanced section.

You can probably find out what your modem should be using by finding a website for your modem type. while you are there, get the latest driver updates.

try updating your drives then tell us what you get...

also update your systems drives, not just your modem and go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and update

and check your makers site and see if there are any other people with the same problems, IE: faq, forum ect

if you have a local isp not like aol, compuserve etc... and you connect with a dial up setting try to put ,,, after the number you dial in to

Originally posted by Jan
You obviously don't have a very good ISP, the help desk should take you through it step by step to make sure your settings are compatible with theirs.

They gave me a simple solution to try out, and told me to phone if it didnt work, and they would talk me thorough some other things.

It isnt the best ISP, but its all i've got.

I dont want to bother going through the pain of updating. the problem just cropped up recently, and i have done nothing to bring it on.

It's probably not, but it could be your phone line.

My mate was connecting at really slow speeds, so we got the telephone company to send a guy around to check the line (it's actually free, unlike their nightmare prices for everything else), and it was the line that was really messed up.

So they did something or other.

Originally posted by Gayowulf

They gave me a simple solution to try out, and told me to phone if it didnt work, and they would talk me thorough some other things.
Okay, well call them back. No doubt all of us with different ISPs and modems would have different settings to you, so they would be your best bet :)

The reason i get 28.8 connections is my distance from my ISP. My phone line is brand new, as are the ones outside my house. the ones inside my house, however...

I probably will call back, or maybe drop in again tomorrow.

michael's ,,, thing seems to work. Im not sure what it does, but it helps

Yeah I had to do that once with one problem I had, only I had two ,, in front of the number. They did explain what it did at the time, because I always ask silly questions. But I don't remember what it was now :confused2

The reason i get 28.8 connections is my distance from my ISP. My phone line is brand new, as are the ones outside my house. the ones inside my house, however...

I probably will call back, or maybe drop in again tomorrow.

good to hear i could help someone. it actually puts a pause after theconnect so u dial and it pauses then starts to communicate with the server

Back