• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Mobile?

Schmarvin

Cross Industries
NLC
I'm bringing this up because I noticed the TouchBB from a little while back. Maybe FWS could have a mobile version of their forums at least? To whomever says that I should just browse the RSS feeds, you can suck my toe because its not the same thing. RSS feeds show latest topics and such. I want some images and browsing capability. WHT has a mobile site, but it fails on phones.

I thought vBulletin had a plug-in for mobile viewing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyone else want to input their thoughts?

**I wanted a mobile site because I have unlimited data on my phone, so I'd like to browse FWS in my free time as well.

I'm almost always on my phone Marvin .
My nokia n95 browser parses everything just fine like the desktop browser .
If it doesn't for you , get opera mini .
Nonetheless , I do admit it'd be great to have a dedicated mobile forum skin .

Then again , I've seen it at wht and it sucks . You need a proper skin since most features aren't available on the mobile edition plugin .

If you use that shabby plugin , I'd rather stick to my opera mini and nokia webkit browser itself...

I've got Opera Mini on my LG Xenon, I'm with AT&T so some restrictions do apply (like every restriction known to man).

So yea, loading up FWS takes forever.

Hmmm . For me Takes 4-5 seconds on opera mini and about a 30 seconds-2 mins on nokia browser(2 mins is when I wait for it to load completely . Generally as soon as thread text and reply box is visible , I do my bit without caring for it to load) .

Well I do visit the whole forum .
More than 95 percent of my posts here on this forum and the several thousand posts(I guess about 6000 or more in total) on non-hosting related forums all come off this li'l monster of a phone I have .

And by forum I literally mean 'the whole forum'...
At times you might notice spelling mistakes and those happen because is the very reason . But 95 percent of the time I don't make mistakes , actually 98 would be a better measure .
Actually I can type faster on my phone than what others can on their ergonomic keyboards and pc's .

If that's not all , I've been managing about 4-5 websites off this phone . I've done everything with this ssh , cPanel , DirectAdmin , programming(I develop software for my phone ;-) ) , you name it , I've been through all that off my phone , no pc's involved .
Not that I don't have one . I find it more convenient to carry a few hundred grams worth of a nokia n95 than to carry a 1.5kg sony vaio notebook . And ever since , I've got accustomed to doing everything that a pc can , right off my phone . I've even done website editing and all that off my phone .
I had installed ffmpeg a few days back for two customers of mine all off my phone .

So if you say you can't do all this off your phone , then all I can say is that you're underestimating that awesome piece of technology in your pocket...

Best Regards,
Aloycasmir

Well I do visit the whole forum .
More than 95 percent of my posts here on this forum and the several thousand posts(I guess about 6000 or more in total) on non-hosting related forums all come off this li'l monster of a phone I have .

And by forum I literally mean 'the whole forum'...
At times you might notice spelling mistakes and those happen because is the very reason . But 95 percent of the time I don't make mistakes , actually 98 would be a better measure .
Actually I can type faster on my phone than what others can on their ergonomic keyboards and pc's .

If that's not all , I've been managing about 4-5 websites off this phone . I've done everything with this ssh , cPanel , DirectAdmin , programming(I develop software for my phone ;-) ) , you name it , I've been through all that off my phone , no pc's involved .
Not that I don't have one . I find it more convenient to carry a few hundred grams worth of a nokia n95 than to carry a 1.5kg sony vaio notebook . And ever since , I've got accustomed to doing everything that a pc can , right off my phone . I've even done website editing and all that off my phone .
I had installed ffmpeg a few days back for two customers of mine all off my phone .

So if you say you can't do all this off your phone , then all I can say is that you're underestimating that awesome piece of technology in your pocket...

Best Regards,
Aloycasmir

I'm sorry, I'm not paying for a smartphone right now. I don't feel the need to have one. And the line of LG phones, especially through AT&T, are pieces of crap. They are more-or-less paperweights.

Congratulations for showing off and telling me I am poor. I already knew that, I'm not rich, I didn't need your help of showing it.

Schmarvin,

I think this is a fantastic idea. I second the request to see a mobile version of FWS.

In terms of smartphones, they can definitely be expensive. I had a Palm Pre but just got an iPhone. If you want a smartphone, check out the Pre - it's on Verizon and Sprint right now, coming to AT&T soon. They are selling it at a very low rate. The only downside is the lack of apps, but I liked the WebOS software better than the iPhone OS. But that's if you're looking for a smartphone - I can definitely understand not going that route if what you have is working. For several years, I worked with Internet off of a basic Nokia, then Motorola, phone. They were cumbersome at times, but got the job done - and much more cheaply than a smartphone.

Hey Marvin , you definitely got me wrong . I had no intentions of showing what you took it to be , nonetheless if I might have unwantingly hurt you or offended you , I apologise for the same . And want to clarify , those are certainly not my intentions...
Please try not to misunderstand me .
I just wanted to prove a point that you're underestimating your phone .
And I repeat myself .
You don't need a smart phone to do all that . Even a simple multimedia phone will do .
Check your pm's in a while please(when I finish writing it) .

<On topic> Like I said in my first post itself , I too would love to see a mobile edition of the forum...

Best Regards,
Aloycasmir

TSO, TouchBB has already been installed and is working. We have also installed Tapatalk which should work with iPhone, Android, Nokia, Blackberry etc and is the one I would recommend.

Ok, gotcha. Didn't realize I had to get an app for it - I thought it would load like that in my browser. But nevermind, I got it working. It's pretty cool!

The TouchBB has been upgraded. It now includes topic pagination and marking of unread posts.

^Tehy're rubbish phones :lol:

I think the best thing to do then is not use your phone, or try Opera Mini/Mobile and then access the Low-fi version on that.

^Tehy're rubbish phones :lol:

I think the best thing to do then is not use your phone, or try Opera Mini/Mobile and then access the Low-fi version on that.

So, Mr. Rich Apple-product Man, you're gonna buy me a nice phone since you have all this money? I was only able to afford a normal feature phone. I don't have the money for these fancy smartphones yet.

Schmarwin, I'll see what I can do but at the moment I don't have a solution.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully there is an addon like TouchBB but towards general mobile phones.

Also, unless someone wants to buy me a fancy smartphone, don't tell me something is crappy or suggest I do something that I can't on my phone.

Back