• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[merged] mydomain.com down?

Albert

mydomain.com down?

Since hours I cannot receive email via mydomain.com Is this a general problem?

can i trust mydomain.com?

Hi,

I have recently started using mydomain.com, to point my website to a free host and my e-mails(mx record) to an e-mail host.

For 1 day, my site has not been accessible, and also mydomain.com website. So i wonder if this is going to happen frequently with mydomain.com.

As they go down, my website goes down too.(if i am not wrong) My question is "can i trust mydomain.com"?

*edit* sorry I was too quick in quoting something

you can check at forums.mydomain.com plenty of posts in the problems section

Last edited:
www.mydomain.com doesn't work but forum.mydomain.com is accessible (for me anyway).

This is their last offical message from about half an hour ago:
"Quick update: I knew if I posted the ETA I was given it would come back and bite me. Obviously, things are not back online yet. I know I'm going to create another firestorm, but saying that we're doing everything possible is the best I can do right now. I'll update again as soon as the situation is updated."

(Added, you can try http://216.110.167.117/ as well)

but it is a very slow connection and since minutes only the title of the page is displayed.
Weird, it's loading fast for me... I'll look at the forum intermittently and post any official updates here if you want

In the meantime I could read the forum and the response time was ok. But who knows what comes. Please keep us informed here.

This was posted about half an hour ago:
I, unfortunately, don't have an update on the ETA of things being back online, though you may see intermittent connections as things are brought back.

I would, however, like to ask that all the members of this forum refrain from flaming each other. That's not the point here. This has been a very frustrating day for all of us, to say the least, and a loss of business for many of us. It doesn't help, however, to have forum members slamming each other.

Things are broken. We're working on that. If you have something you need to get off your chest, PM me. Don't start bashing each other, please.

Seems the registar NamesDirect is down as well... and if that thread is to be believed it's affecting about 600.000 domains. It's awful to read... sounds like some murderous mob ready to wreak havoc on whoever gets in their way.
All that cause their site was offline for one single day *shakes head*

I have merged the three different threads on this subject. Their forums work *sometimes* so keep checking that to see what progress they are making.

Originally posted by CareBear
www.mydomain.com doesn't work but forum.mydomain.com is accessible (for me anyway).

This is their last offical message from about half an hour ago:
"Quick update: I knew if I posted the ETA I was given it would come back and bite me. Obviously, things are not back online yet. I know I'm going to create another firestorm, but saying that we're doing everything possible is the best I can do right now. I'll update again as soon as the situation is updated."

(Added, you can try http://216.110.167.117/ as well)

Hmmm :angry2:. I can access it.. perhaps they have their servers with Cinergy Communications.. (216 is Cinergy's IP block thing).

Hmmm . I can access it.. perhaps they have their servers with Cinergy Communications.. (216 is Cinergy's IP block thing).

It's resolved apparantly now though apparantly.

Ok, mydomain and namesdirect had some problems today. Here's a sem-technical, semi-reassuring account of what happened. Some details are sketchy since some cases didn't afford any data....

About 3am Pacific, a Denial Of Service attack/ HUGE influx if DNS queries bombarded our main co-lo facility in Seattle. In the following hours everything on that network became extremely slow making most of the services provided on that network (DNS,URL forwarding, Email Forwarding, websites, DB) appear unavailable or really slow to anyone outside the network. This kind of activity has happened before but never of this magnitude.

The unfortunate side effect of this activity is that it overloaded both the primary and secondary firewalls causing them to reset connections about every 2 minutes. Meanwhile, our senior network engineer was woken up and after having no luck with a remote fix headed to our co-lo facility. He arrived to find the firewalls rebooting under a large deluge of traffic. He couldn't even get information off of the firewalls about what was actually happening.

In the meantime, the downtime at our co-lo in Seattle caused all DNS to be directed to our east coast facility. The facility also was brought down by the volume in traffic. As we tried to diagnose what the problem was so that we could know what to cut off, the traffic just kept coming and the forums were on fire. The forums stayed up because they're hosted separately from all of the other servers. We couldn't even get into the mydomain website to post a notice about 'system problems'. After some conflict with the co-lo provider, finally at 5pm PST, they filtered out all traffic destined for the mydomain nameserver in the Seattle co-lo. This immediately enabled all services on that network to the outside world. While we cleaned up things, we discovered that the mydomain site and db had seriously crashed and had to be worked on. Hence the extra downtime on the mydomain site after some services appeared to be up. Unfortunately this problem caused a problem with email forwarding for awhile that was eventually fixed.

So that as they say is that. It was an amazing experience in community (the forums, customer calls, and customer visits), technology (trying to find a Cisco PIX 525 at 4:30pm is tough), and dealing with this phenomenon called the 'Internet'. A written apology probably won't suffice. We will always try to do better. If you have any questions/concerns/rants, please direct them to flash.

Back