• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Merged] InvisionBoard B1 released today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by AlieXai
From sources/Search.php

This is the single reason why i'm not going to use IBForum on any of the message boards I manage. Petty? Maybe...
That's not serious at all. You use a bb for posting messages and not for searching. Besides, speed is more important than searching.

That is serious. No wonder the search was slow. Searches are as important as posts. And if a member is put off by slow searches and long waits he would move to another forum , I certainely would. Oh well, it's Beta 1 let's hope a more efficient search routine is built.

> That's not serious at all. You use a bb for posting messages
> and not for searching.

Not serious? Your local script-kiddie could drive the server load through the roof by pushing refresh a couple of dozen times (really fast) after submitting a search. Matt knows this. IBF is definately not a good solution for "busy" forums.

> Besides, speed is more important than searching.

On the IBF support forum, it took 22 seconds to generate the results page when I searched for "phpBB". I'm assuming you don't use search much, so you don't care about the speed of the search system or the types of effects it could have on a server/community.

Last edited:
Originally posted by The Red Guy
You use a bb for posting messages

Yeah, I think it's quite evident that you use a message board for posting messages. And searching is probably less important than being able to post or reply. Since you are criticizing the true value of the "search" function of boards, why don't you say the same about everything else that does not include posting and replying? Like avatars, admin CPs, member's lists, signatures, profiles, registration, post counts, member rankings, some of the features above/below each message in a thread, or even MODERATING A BOARD! I've heard you complain about such "minor" problems in other boards, and nobody responded in the way that you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back