• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Maxmind

Schmarvin

Cross Industries
NLC
Since using this over the past 3 months, I've seen a huge decrease in spam accounts. This system prevents spam from ever being accepted into our system. So far, only a few minor bugs with a few signups and orders which sometimes get marked as fraud. But, other than that, the person, if real, usually opens a ticket and we fix it as soon as possible.

I've only seen one or two orders marked as spam/fraud with MaxMind when it came to personally dealing with the thousands of clients we had at BroHoster. If you're getting that kind of spam, you may want to see where they are coming from. Usually spammers will only target the cheapest package you offer. But yeah if you're getting that kind of spam I'd be very uncomfortable because those legitimate orders that got through may end up doing a chargeback a month or two down the road.

Last edited:
Well, we don't deal with chargebacks. They can try, but they'll fail as stated in our Terms as well as our company policy. One paid, a user must formally request a refund.
And your right, it usually is the smaller packages. But, lately, I've had a lot more free hosting signups, mostly from China, Vietnam, and other countries listed in our Terms which we do not allow to be hosted.

Well, we don't deal with chargebacks. They can try, but they'll fail as stated in our Terms as well as our company policy. One paid, a user must formally request a refund.
And your right, it usually is the smaller packages. But, lately, I've had a lot more free hosting signups, mostly from China, Vietnam, and other countries listed in our Terms which we do not allow to be hosted.

Trust me, you can't stop a chargeback. You can try to dispute the chargeback via PayPal, but that doesn't always work out. And if they used a credit card and the chargeback is going through the credit card absolutely nothing will stop that.

Trust me, you can't stop a chargeback. You can try to dispute the chargeback via PayPal, but that doesn't always work out. And if they used a credit card and the chargeback is going through the credit card absolutely nothing will stop that.

The payment is put into a hold for 30 days. Meaning we cannot touch the funds. Neither can they. And after the case is resolved, the funds can inaccessible for up to 90 days.

We use MaxMind, and it has been 95% airtight for us thus far. We wouldn't accept credit cards without it.

I use maxmind on my paid hosting service and I am thinking about using it on my free hosting service as well. Even though it flags legit orders sometimes as fraud it does prevent alot of abuse. I like it personally.

+1

Maxmind has been brilliant in keeping spam/fraud orders out of our system. We've only had a few that have slipped through the cracks, but with a bit of manual house keeping on orders that don't look 100% right, we're able to get rid of the rubbish before it creates problems

MaxMind can be false positive sometimes. A distance based verification isn't something I feel right. A card issued in one state can be discarded by MaxMind if the state is nearly 1000 miles away from the issuer. I rather prefer to let 2Checkout trace the fraud activity. They not only uses the distance but some other parameters that helps to deal with Chargebacks later on.

MaxMind can be false positive sometimes. A distance based verification isn't something I feel right. A card issued in one state can be discarded by MaxMind if the state is nearly 1000 miles away from the issuer. I rather prefer to let 2Checkout trace the fraud activity. They not only uses the distance but some other parameters that helps to deal with Chargebacks later on.

My question to you is, why would you be using a credit card over 1000 miles away from the card's zip code? Above that, why would you be buying hosting that far away? Seems like fraud to me when you put it like that. I'll keep to maxmind, as it is very successful in stopping the majority of fraud.

My question to you is, why would you be using a credit card over 1000 miles away from the card's zip code? Above that, why would you be buying hosting that far away? Seems like fraud to me when you put it like that. I'll keep to maxmind, as it is very successful in stopping the majority of fraud.

I a, kinda agree with you.
So far, I don't really see the reason why a person is buying some hosting accounts and do his/her work while on vacation to other country...

Our Mexmind usually nips spam purchases in the butt. Usually you can tell if something is fraud as well because they will keep trying and slip up eventually with the info they enter. Also if you suspect fraud. Let the money sit there for a bit and see if they contact you. This is the easiest way because most fraudsters do not want to talk to the company about their purchase. Also make sure you us Proof of Identity if you find something to be suspicious. Most people who are legit do not have a problem providing proof.

Back