• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Making a Linux Squid box for my home network?

Nick

NLC
I was reading articles on the internet earlier and read about using a Linux box running Squid in a home network to use as an invisble proxy/firewall. Does anyone know of any really good guides on setting this up? I've Google'd it but I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience or reccomendations.

I know it may seem a bit intesne for a home network, but it will make a fun project for me to tinker with on my 5 week winter break. If all goes well, I will use a similar system at the business I work over this summer.

I don't know any good guides, but I had this working for a long time. If you really want to have it work as a firewall and invisible cache -- get two network cards. Run iptables to route and redirect outgoing port 80 traffic to the localhost squid server port. There will be an extra config option for Squid. I also had mine setup with an ad blocking filter for squid.

This is the best I can do without typing for half my afternoon....

you could try smoothwall as well. apparently it isn't too hard to setup and doesn't require a fast computer to use at all.

When you say it doesn't have to be fast, how slow do you mean? I have quite a few older machines laying around here that I could use instead of the machine I was planning on using.

i think a pentium was about the slowest, a 3 gig harddisk and i'm not sure about the ram. just put plenty in the server for optium preformance and go from there.

Back