• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for dedicated server for Shoutcast streaming

GavB

Hello, this is my first post here, so I hope that people don't mind me asking for help before I've contributed.

I am looking to rent a dedicated server to host a few Shoutcast servers. I have quite a small budget but think that it is just about possible to get what I need. I will be hosting my own Shoutcast streams on there (legal) and hopefully offer Shoutcast hosting myself to make some money back.

Because Shoutcast uses very little in the way of memory and processor, the spec isn't really that important. I also don't need much hard drive space either as I am not going to host websites or files on the server.
I do need PHP/MySQL database to run a script that sets up the Shoutcast servers more easily.

The main thing is bandwidth - lots of it. I have been looking around and think that a shared 100bmit will be best, maybe 50mbit but no lower. For now, it will rarely go above about 10mbit/s but I want some room for growth. Preferably un-metered or something above about 3000GB per month would be ideal.

I have seen a few options out there already, so if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

Here are some that I am considering, hopefully it's ok to post links in here.

============================
1&1.co.uk: Business Server 1
http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/ServerRoot

I have heard bad things about 1&1 but that always seems to be from US customers, any UK customers had any experience with them? I have seen decent reviews for their dedicated servers, and one person that uses them has recommended that I try them.
They offer un-metered transfer, but once you reach 1000GB the connection is capped at 10mbit/s - but you can apparently go in to the control panel and override this as many times as you need.

Hosting IE: Dedic Raptor Pro Lin 581
http://www.hosting-ie.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=48

They also offer unlimited 100mbit connection (shared I suppose) so I emailed them to ask how much monthly transfer they would consider acceptable - I'm a bit wary of people that offer unlimited anything. Got an email back written in Pigeon English saying that they couldn't really answer the question, but the package used to come with 5TB limits before they changed it to unlimited. Despite the bad English, they seemed quite helpful and even pointed me towards a cheaper option than I had enquired about.

Eclipse 2000 Hosting: Server S1
http://www.eclipse2000hosting.co.uk/dedicated.htm (watch out for the annoying noise)

I have used these in the past for web hosting and Shoutcast and they were very good. I emailed them asking about the un-metered transfer and whether it would be suitable for my needs. They said that the Shoutcast service that they offer is on the same network as their dedicated servers and is reliable and I could push 5000-9000GB a month if needed (should be more than enough).
I did a whois on the IP of their Shoutcast servers and it looks like they are resellers for FDC Servers, which brings me on to the next one I've seen.

FDC Servers: UNMETERED Dedicated - Special #6
http://www.fdcservers.net/dedicated.html

Haven't been in touch with these, anyone recommend them or otherwise?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one, if any, I should go for? Or recommend another company or make an offer? You can get a rough idea of my budget from the links above, although they offer more drive space than I need (probably don’t get much less than 80GB these days anyway).

Thanks for your help, and I just realised how big this post is! Sorry about being so long. :beer:

Oh yeah, and I would prefer Linux based server.

Hello,
I've recently moved to awknet.com.

» Cogent and PCCW/BTN bandwidth
» State of art DoS Protection (no nullroutes here)
» Fast Support
» Qualified Personal
» You can choose the Linux/BSD and are not limited to a few options
» Up to 64 ips for free

They are located in Weast Coast (Los Angeles), USA

100Mbit unmetered connection (5000-6000GB of expected bandwidth)

Irc Allowed Servers from:
119$

Regards,

to be honest id stay away from anyone thats not got a clear bandwith max fdc is great i used toushefoshoutcast hosting and since theygot the new connection through pccwg speeds got lot better to europe if you are considering the amd1400 i can offer this

AMD 1400
1GB RAM
80GB HD
100 Mbit Port
Unmetered Transfer
£63.00
unmetered transfer on 100mb port (5000 - 9000 gb ) All fdc terms and conditions

Advice:

Just signup for offers that will let you have access to a FULL 100 Mbps connection. Some providers state you have 100 mbps but they mean that you're connected to one on a 10 mbps limit, or that the port is shared.

Belive me, you'll need the 100 mbps for SHOUTcast ;)

100Mbits dedicated will be expensive $900-$1500 is a reasonable price for a connection like that.

That if it's unmetered, right? I think it's cheaper if you cap it at some point

Thanks for your advice everyone, I am still looking around but you have been a big help.

The DediBoxWorld offer looks like one of the best that I've seen, would anyone recommend them?

EDIT: DediBoxWorld post has disappeared but will still look in to that

Last edited:
Here is our offer:
Intel Celeron D 3Ghz
1GB RAM
160GB SATA II Drive
100Mbps Port
Fedora Core 5
$60/Mo. + $100/Setup

Unmetered Dedicated 10Mbps (3240GB Data Transfer per month) +$300/Mo.
Commit of 10Mbps on 100Mbps port (dedicated) +$1000/Mo.
Commit of 20Mbps on 100Mbps port (dedicated) +$1600/Mo.
Unmetered 100Mbps on 100Mbps port (dedicated) +$3000/Mo.
All multi-homed using Cogent/lvl3/COX
14 Day Money Back

BurstNET/Nocster will offer:

100MBPS UNMETERED Product Line Pricing:
CELERON-1.7GHZ/512MB/60GB-IDE or 36GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$0.00/SETUP-$149.95/MONTH
PENTIUM-4-1.8GHZ/512MB/60GB-IDE or 36GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$0.00/SETUP-$159.95/MONTH
CELERON-2.4GHZ/512MB/80GB-IDE or 36GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$0.00/SETUP-$169.95/MONTH
PENTIUM-4-2.4GHZ/512MB/80GB-IDE or 36GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$0.00/SETUP-$179.95/MONTH
CELERON-D-3.0GHZ/512MB/80GB-IDE or 36GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$59.95/SETUP-$189.95/MONTH
PENTIUM-D-2.8GHZ-(DUALCORE)/1GB/160GB-SATA or 73GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$59.95/SETUP-$199.95/MONTH
PENTIUM-D-3.4GHZ-(DUALCORE)/1GB/160GB-SATA or 73GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$99.95/SETUP-$229.95/MONTH
DUAL-XEON-2GHZ-HT/1GB/160GB-SATA or 73GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$99.95/SETUP-$249.95/MONTH
DUAL-XEON-3GHZ-HT/1GB/250GB-SATA or 181GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$149.95/SETUP-$349.95/MONTH
QUAD-XEON-3GHZ-(DUALCORE)-HT/1GB/250GB-SATA or 181GB-SCSI/100MBPS-$199.95/SETUP-$399.95/MONTH

Details: http://www.nocster.net/unmetered.shtml

100MBPS UNMETERED DETAILS
Each 100MBPS UNMETERED server is connected to a Full-Duplex 10/100MBPS switch port, which is connected to a bandwidth pool shared by all 100MBPS UNMETERED clientele. 100MBPS UNMETERED servers on average can transfer between 3000GB-5000GB per month outbound and 15000GB-20000GB inbound. The 100MBPS bandwidth allocation is not guaranteed/dedicated, and is supplied on a "best-effort" basis---which may result in some slowdowns during peak traffic times.
NO OVERAGE FEES REGARDLESS OF USAGE.

HIGH-USAGE GUARANTEED/DEDICATED BANDWIDTH MANAGED DEDICATED SERVERS
Details: http://www.nocster.net/highusage.shtml

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, by emailing us at sales@burst.net

Back