• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for a specific sort of geek ...

krakjoe

stop staring
NLC
I want people to do me a favour, I know you all have ipods and god knows what other gadgets you are having these days, and I know at least some of you will be using ffmpeg from a command line to convert your media from one format to another ....

What I want you to do is type the commands you use here, tell me what the target device is ( if it's not obvious from the command ) ... please don't type a command exactly the same as someone elses, and if you can help it, don't include commands that use the expression evaluator that ffmpeg has built in ... and no commands for anything but ffmpeg at the moment ... and if you know try and include what sort of quality it yields ( high, medium, low, mms (maybe) ) ...

Another thing I want you to do, is, if you have one of these strange gadgets, post what it is ( and if you're aware, what formats of media it supports ), I might send you a few small (1MB|<) videos to test on your device ...

As usual this is all for a good cause ...

Go ...

Joe, this might be something useful for you. i have not tested anything on my iPhone myself, but, if you want to try to send me something, let me know what i need to do. willing to help the cause.

Great cause btw :p

Joe, just so you know I have a PSP, an EEE, a modern samsung & modern sony erricsson.

What would iPhone be, mp4 I guess ?? is there a DivX player for it ??

An EEE wil play anything won't it ?? Find out what codecs those fancy phone uses, it'll prolly be mp4 or 3gp I think ...

Yeah, EEEs play anything but with a smaller screen.. I guess there's no need to make any presets for that though. Just choose the resolution.

Good stuff, I may post a couple of test videos, those pages include all the formats supported though ... can you look at the sizes of a couple of videos you have on those devices and tell me the average or all their sizes ?? so I know when the normal quality has been achieved ...

Justin can you please find out the max resolution for iPhones and tell me if both versions ( that's the sum of my knowledge on the subject ) are the same size ??

Yeah, EEEs play anything but with a smaller screen.. I guess there's no need to make any presets for that though. Just choose the resolution.

Well I suppose there might be, these have limited disk space dont they, like really limited ??

A good compromise between compression and quality targetted at the EEE might be good ...

Last edited:
I guess I know what info you're after.

When I transfered movies over, for example:

Futurama: 900mb (PC) > 500mb (p2)
Dragonwars: 10 x 95mb (PC) > 450ishMB (p2)

And music:

25GB (PC) > 14ishGB (p2)

Is that what info you wanted? They're just estimates, I would transfer them back onto it, but the software keeps leaving files out (I think one is corrupted) and the firmware corrupted on the P2 and I lost everything on it. Otherwise I would get specifics.

Well I suppose there might be, these have limited disk space dont they, like really limited ??

A good compromise between compression and quality targetted at the EEE might be good ...

Yeah, that was my train of thought. Cheap 1st edition EEEs have 2G space, then a 4, an 8 and I believe there's a 20gb version that has a normal hard drive. So limited whatever way you look at it.

Yeah, that was my train of thought. Cheap 1st edition EEEs have 2G space, then a 4, an 8 and I believe there's a 20gb version that has a normal hard drive. So limited whatever way you look at it.

Got any videos that you use on it now, that are acceptable quality ??

If you do can you list their sizes and whatever, and if you can find out their resolution and stuff ??

No idea why but I'm trying to use emodio to transfer it over, when I do, it closes. With no error messages. First time it's doing this. When I open it in Realplayer it says it can't, I need to download other software, so I do, it tells me to download Quicktime, I did, now Quicktime says it can't open it.

:S

I'll try using the default software, and test another file to see if it's the P2/software or the file.

Can you post me up a little file so I can find out what settings it usually does play with ???

There we go, fixed it. I installed all my codecs again in the K-lite pack.

It's transfered, same quality, but there's no sound?
Here's the stats:

Quality: 128kbs. > Same
Res: 480x272 > same
Size: 2760kb > was 6701kb

Wait, what just happened ??

Did you convert it as you transferred it ? What are them stats from ??

Yeah, it converts to an svi file on the P2 as it transfers over. They're the stats of the file you told me to transfer, after it's on the P2. Only the file size has changed.

Back