• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for a good UBB-like message board

Rodie

About a month ago, InfoPop (the company that makes and distributes the Ultimate Bulletin
Board) decided that you could no longer modify, or hack the freeware version of the UBB. What I
was originally planning on doing was getting the freeware version, and using
http://www.ubbhackers.com to hack the script up. This way I could get around the 200 dollar (a
little overpriced IMHO) with a little extra work.

I guess technically I could still hack the UBB since i downloaded a freeware version of the UBB
and a bunch of custom hacks about 4 or 5 months back, but just never got around to installing
the board, but I really kind of just want to totally stay away from that company. They've been
doing a lot of shady things lately (revoking the liscense, etc.) And besides that, the script is a
huge resource hog.

So my question is, where can I find a free UBB-like board? Not only that, but is there a freeware
UBB-like board that there are many hacks/add-ons for, and the company won't get mad at you?

This VBulletin board is really nice. Is there a freeware version? Is there any support (like
ubbhackers.com) for hacking it?

Any others? Thanks

PS - I apologize for cross posting this on the CGI and general discussion boards, but it looks like this one is getting more traffic, and I might have a better chance of getting some suggestions here..

Oops, I see by your thread in the CGI board that you already found Ikonboard. Pretty cool huh...

Yea Ikonboard is cool

I looked in the cgi-resources.com directory and found it. It looks like it has about all the features of this board (AIM and ICQ buttons even!), and it doesn't seem to kill Netscape (like some UBB's do to mine for some reason). Very cool indeed!

I was using YaBB (www.yabb.org) for awhile and then changed to Ikonboard. Ikonboard is really great minus a few small things that were not yet implemented in the version I had. One major thing it did not have though was MySQL. Yet the board still loading lightning fast! Just imagine that board w/ MySQL in the backend. I'm not sure if it uses MySQL now because I haven't looked lately, but I would choose Ikonboard.

I like!

I like it so much that I am killing off my old support forums, and installed Ikonboard to WorldzoneSupport.com to combine all our support services in one location. Still working on it though...I do like it better than UBB and this one. Thats pretty good considering I generally havent liked UBB style boards....and man is it faster too. Thankyou Tater for letting us know about it...

Originally posted by Webdude
I like it so much that I am killing off my old support forums, and installed Ikonboard to WorldzoneSupport.com to combine all our support services in one location. Still working on it though...I do like it better than UBB and this one. Thats pretty good considering I generally havent liked UBB style boards....and man is it faster too. Thankyou Tater for letting us know about it...

You're welcome.

Actually, Rodie found it before I posted it here but hey, I'll take what credit I can get. It still has a few bugs but what program doesn't. I have been using Discus for a support forum at work for a while now but I think I'll be switching over to Ikonboard soon.

I'd still prefer this board over Ikonboard simply because this one is PHP and I like PHP better :) but thats my opinion.

The fact that it doesn't use mysql isn't a huge deal to me since my site is on an NT server that can't use mysql. I looked at yabb, and it looks pretty good, but I'm leaning more towards ikonboard.

Ugh! Move your site off an NT server and over to a *nix server :)

If your board will be high traffic, MySQL will be a tremendous help.

Re: I like!

Hmmm, I get this:
Software error:
/home/www/worldzonesupport/data/boardstats.cgi did not return a true value at ikonboard.cgi line 91.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@worldzonesupport.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

When I visit webzonesupport.com cool program huh.

I'm not defending Webdude or anything, but Zef, when I goto yabb.org and try your forums i get the following:

HTTP 404 Not Found

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Cool program there too :)

Hehe....I screwing around and limited space on one of the drives while moving things around. Needless to say I had to completely reinstall it. One thing for sure, you dont wanna put it anywhere where space is low....

other than that, it's a great board..

Hehe....I screwing around and limited space on one of the drives while moving things around. Needless to say I had to completely reinstall it. One thing for sure, you dont wanna put it anywhere where space is low....

other than that, it's a great board..

How much space exactly are we talking about?

>Only< TEN megs?! Hehe.. that does seem like an awful lot of bytes for a bulletin board system... that's one thing that has prevented me from installing ikonboard sooner but oh well -- maybe I'll get around to it soon.

If I remember correctly, 10 Megs is the recommened disk space to have when using it. The board does not take up that much room.... only when you get *a ton* of posts does it take up that much room.

Your using it right now!!!!!!

Your board that you want is what you are using right now, it's called vBulletin but it's written in php. If you know a little about php, you might know that it's a whole lot faster than perl. The great thing about this board is its templates. It have a template for everything so you can make it look anyway you want without hacking it and you can even make new templates that you can put anywhere you want. The best thing about it is that uses MySQL which mean no messy files and folder taking up all your space. All no chmop, very few configing required, just upload and go!!!!!

Back