• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Live Music

Gayowulf

G-d
NLC
Everyone likes music.

Some of us take it beyond home listening and attend live shows. Live shows are awesome.

What bands have you seen live? Is your favourite band live the same as your regular same band?

What do you think makes for a good show?

Given my location (small city remote wastern Canada) and my financial and transportational challenges I'm only really able to see the acts that pass through town (or through whichever town I happen to be in)

I can remember seeing (in order of ----tiness)

• Snoop Dogg (so much weed smoking that the place had to be aired out the next day and the hockey game delayed)
  • Swollen Members (opened for snoop dogg. more enjoyable)
  • Choclair
  • Brad Mays
  • The Black Halos (people trying to crowd surf when there's no crowd. I got black eye from catching some guy going to land on his head)
  • Nickelback (the lead singer looks really greasy. fights in the crowd, and the place ran out of beer. girls threw bras on stage.)
  • Nazareth (love hurts)
  • The Stampeders (burnt out canadian rockers for the win)
  • Sum 41 (annoying as ---- but exciting to watch. Threatened to stop the show if rough moshing continued (I saw a girl get stepped on))
  • George Thorogood (bad to the bone, lots of rowdy bikers)
  • Wide Mouth Mason (kinda ----ty)
  • KMFDM (These guys are scary)
  • Staind
  • Collective Soul (great show, but a ----ty crowd that didn't get into it enough. I was sober and had to drive home a shower of assholes and drunks.
  • Sweashop Union (totally underrated group. I came away with a really good feeling)
  • Billy Talent (not bad for an all ages show. I'm pretty sure I was drinking anyways.
  • Dj Shadow (this guy is amazing to watch. no beer though)
  • Sam Roberts (awesome caberet show. I would see him again in an instant)
  • The Trews (small crowd, the band played well despite barely being able to stand (they were that ----ed up)
  • BC/DC (if you know these guys you know the show was awesome. I punched an annoying kid and he bought me some drinks)
  • The Strokes (Best outdoor show ever. They covered Take a Walk on the Wildside and I could barely handle it. I was all drunk and got lost in the streets of vancouver on my way home. We made it back eventually. McGee the bum was a big help.

I think there might have been some others but I can't really remember

Last edited:
Disturbed / Chevelle / Taproot / Unloco
Staind / Sevendust / Chevelle
Godsmack / Ill Nino / Dropbox
Korn / Mudvayne / 10 Years

Pretty sad list, I know. I need better transportation. :eek:

I live on a small-ish island, and thus we don't get too many big names worth seeing. These are the few that I have seen.

If you recognize even half of these artists, you're awesome:

Alexisonfire / Moneen / Hopesfall
The Reason / Blue.Skies.At.War
Mikey Dread (one of the original producers for The Clash)
The Kingpins
King Django / Strangejah Cole / Dr Ring-Ding
DJ Dieselboy

I think there's more, but I've forgotten.

Metallica x3
Guns N' Roses x2
Megadeth
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Helloween
Sonata Arctica
Apocalyptica
Motley Crue
Pearl Jam
Nightwish
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Dream Theater x2
Pink Floyd
David Gilmour
Roger Waters
Slayer
Deep Purple
Nine Inch Nails
The Tragically Hip
Primus
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Velvet Revolver
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Saga

+ countless Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Ozzy/Black Sabbath tribute bands

My take on what makes a good live band is the quality of the show they put on, how much the musicians are actually into it, and how the amount of energy displayed from the band within the music (that last bit is crucial).

Like, a few weeks ago I saw The Whitlams and their recorded stuff these days is pretty tame and soft, but live it was really energetic and rocking so it made for a really good show.

Larger bands seem to generally not put on very good shows. I've seen the likes of Marilyn Manson & Nine Inch Nails live... and they were really, really poor.

It's all about the stage act as well, I suppose. The Mars Volta I can't enjoy recorded, but these guys put on such an awesome show.

But I'm too poor to see much music.

Larger bands seem to generally not put on very good shows. I've seen the likes of ... Nine Inch Nails live... and they were really, really poor.
?! pardon?

how in the hell did they known for their live performances and their reputation extremely heightened by their act at woodstock 94?

Back