• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Linux Or Windows

Linux Windows

• Windows

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Linux

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters
i voted for linux. windows is ----, i formatted my hdd cos of problems with it... i use mandrake from now on

The problem is Windows Xp was relesed half a decade ago and the little penguin os's have caught up.
Unless youve been living under a rock youll know the longhorn cliant is coning ever closer to its relese. Maby in another 5 years + (2) years the penguin parade will catch up , i doubt it to be honest first they would have to change the entire rendering engine

and of course Vista has support for XAML webpages which could spell the end of the fox
here is a video of whats possible

, draging the source to ie will dispay it as a web page .
The language is very similer to html

Last edited:
I have 2 computers one with Kubuntu Linux and one with Windows XP. I like windows because there are more games for it, but I like the stability and easy customization of linux. But I have to admit I use linux probably 90% of the time when I am on a computer. And come to think of it linux comes with alot more software and costs alot less ..... free. I have to go with Linux. And oh yeah linux doesnt have half the security flaws windows does, so it doesnt have a new patch every other day.

Last edited:
Actuly no what you mean is it does have just as much flaws but nobody is looking for them so they are never discovered
Ignorance is bliss

Steve112 said:
Actuly no what you mean is it does have just as much flaws but nobody is looking for them so they are never discovered
Ignorance is bliss

Are you kidding me? There's literally tens of thousands of people, scouring through every single line of code for holes in software used in Linux. That's the beauty of open source. Everyone can lend a hand.

Many security holes are not found by Microsoft, or the developer of the software, but rather by security companies. These people would scour both Windows and Linux alike for security vulnerabillties. Their findings are then forwarded to the developer of the software(IE: Microsoft). The developer should then develop a patch for it and released rather quickly, if not, the security company goes public.

Security companies rarely go public about security holes in Linux, as they are resolved rather quickly. That's why there are daily builds for many many programs.

Microsoft are focusing on adding a low level security layer into vista
Which will make security holes irrelivent and it will have full hardware support , The os will be able to prevent you bieng infected even if you double click on virus.exe
Poladium is bieng kept under wraps by ms until vista goes rtm

Maby with another half a decade of work the penguin heads might come up with Mil Rendering
Which alows for the next generation of applitions http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/9/e/29e78dbd-4d4e-41a5-894a-9f4dc21c87e6/daniel_lehenbauer_avalon_3d_MBR.wmv

Uploading it to a server will run the program in the browser , wave goodbye to mr html

Last edited:
Steve, that "low-level security layer" has existed in Unix since practically the very beginning. It's called user-permissions.

That Avalon crap is the most useless of useless things. All they did was reinvent Flash.

Daniel said:
Efficticly the SR71 Blackbird is crap , weve had it before with the wrightbrothers plane

complete nonsence from start to finish

All of this is bieng dynamicly rendered , its not an animated gif or flash file
Click here and get a clue

honestly this is real dynamic 3d scenes were talking about the source code for it will run just like html

a functional example would be this

As for the other insane statment
Were talking about the ability to physicly prevent data bieng written to certen areas of the hard disk , user permissions dont make me laugh

My Service Pack enables some of this functionality

Sigh ive seen these poarly tought through ideas before Next youll be compareing winfs to google desktop search :lol:

honestly you remind me of one of those save the rainforest protestors

Last edited:
Steve112 said:
honestly you remind me of one of those save the rainforest protestors
Whats that supposed to mean?
As far as who was catching up to who when xp came out..... Dont get me started on how crappy Windows ME was. 98 wasnt much better either. Who ever heard of a *nix OS blue screening. And the improved resource management XP offered was just a step closer to what linux had been offering for years. Did you ever try leaving ME on for 24 hours with 10 browsers open? The computer would be so sluggish it needed rebooted. And as far as clicking on a program such as a virus and it automatically installing ..... this has never been a problem in with a *nix system. There are variousvariations of how to install programs but in no case has it been a one click process. Also XP user accounts were something linux had decades before, only linux accounts offer the ability to set different permission levels for each account also. So XP isnt there yet. I cant say linux is better than longhorn, but nobody can say either way as only a select few have used longhorn. Maybe its all that or maybe its just hype.
However windows does have a few advantages over linux. Windows is easier for people with limited computer knowledge to download and install programs onto it. Linux varies depending on the distribution you are on, but most linux distros include alot more bundled programs. Its when you go outside the bundled programs windows get easier.
But as an experienced user I find the extra step or two very worthwhile. 90% of my time on a computer is a linux machine, while my XP machine is sitting next to me ...... off....... just like right now.

I have Ubuntu and Windows on my PC. I'd love to use just Ubuntu (Debian) but I need Windows softwareI can't run on linux.. and I love the new Windows Live Messenger also xD

Galaxy-Hosts.com said:
a )Whats that supposed to mean?

b ) I cant say linux is better than longhorn, but nobody can say either way as only a select few have used longhorn. Maybe its all that or maybe its just hype.

But as an experienced user I find the extra step or two very worthwhile. 90% of my time on a computer is a linux machine, while my XP machine is sitting next to me ...... off....... just like right now.
Factor into your equation thet xp is half a decade old

ok a , He is an in expirenced user making insane and blatently wrong statments no explanition needed for the save the rainforest compain , a bunck of retarted anti-globlisation children

b ) I have been using the Longhorn Cliant since 2002 Clicky

apart from the fact that most of the things it does cant be done in any other operating system due to the way it renders which is revolutionly

Even with that out of the way linux operating systems are only marginly better than xp after 5 years theyre still comparible to xp

Its no coincidince that i dont have a lunux mechene any more The Win HEC 04 relese is in my opinion the worlds most advanced desktop operating system
You cant even imagine its fetures everything from Windows File System to 3d wallpaper i feal like its 2010 every time i boot it up :)
Nothing short of remarkible ,

Videos
http://winsupersite.com/files/pdc2003_longhorn_desktop.wmv
http://winsupersite.com/files/pdc2003_aero_start_media.wmv

Even its version of ie is great shoddy rendering engine aside , The interface is infinitly better , it has a exellent download manager And it dosnt crash when i hit alt-tab

Last edited:
It's up to the persons liking windows is a great OS system
it's just that you need to keep up with protecting it
and most people have trouble do so.
Fighting virus's are a every day task on the other hand with Linux
you don't need to worry with that kind of stuff.

I have my machine setup as a duel boot so if my XP OS has
trouble booting up I have my fedora OS that never fails..:)

Last edited:
Nor with longhorn {to a degree} its still patchy
I got msblaster a while back on 3718 , Strange thing was it has a bug {The RPC bug} which gives the exact same symptopms as msblaster and it managed to spread to my 4074 instalation

Funny though i had it for months and never even noticed , Forgive me if im not terafed of viruses.The first thing i do after i install windows is disable all the resorce gobbling security

Steve112 is winning this debate for sure, not going to jump in though (why bother). But like I said, I've used linux and it's good and can get better if they make it more userfriendly like Windows and Mac but for now I voted for Windows because Mac weren't on the list, even if it's FreeBSD based. And windows also has many good softwares and programs, even linux users have gotten viruses and there will be more to come when more uses it. Same as Windows, when more used it than mac it got exploited, but Mac is good coded so I doubt they get hacked.

That's my two cents, not debating/gambling with those too cents though, just there to look on and then think whatever you want.

Last edited:
Steve112 said:
ok a , He is an in expirenced user making insane and blatently wrong statments no explanition needed for the save the rainforest compain , a bunck of retarted anti-globlisation children
This is where he is wrong. I dont think Microsoft should be forced to give windows away. I didnt even like that judges sided with the complaintants on the anti trust lawsuites.
That being said I dont want to spend my money on another copy of XP and microsoft office for this pc whan I think Kubuntu and open office are better programs anyway. And as far as inexperienced user you barely have a clue what you are talking about when it comes to linux, And not only that' you are comparing it to an operating system that isnt even publicly available. And as far as being a longhorn user ...... Im not totally convinced. Anyone who legally has a copy of longhorn is a beta tester. And Im sure all beta testers know its no longer longhorn, its actually Windows Vista. In fact this is what Microsoft has on their website:
Windows Vista™ (formerly Windows code name "Longhorn")

I hate to be an ------- nitpicker...

But Steve, I cannot take you seriously when every second word is spelled incorrectly.

Holy hell! Dude, I make spelling mistakes all the time, but the difference is I TRY! You don't even try.

Anyways, the Linux vs Windows debate. I use Windows, but I am trying to build my Linux skills (to be more employabled). To me, Windows does what it does and does it well. I have no complaints.

Galaxy-Hosts.com said:
This is where he is wrong. I dont think Microsoft should be forced to give windows away. I didnt even like that judges sided with the complaintants on the anti trust lawsuites.
That being said I dont want to spend my money on another copy of XP and microsoft office for this pc whan I think Kubuntu and open office are better programs anyway. And as far as inexperienced user you barely have a clue what you are talking about when it comes to linux, And not only that' you are comparing it to an operating system that isnt even publicly available. And as far as being a longhorn user ...... Im not totally convinced. Anyone who legally has a copy of longhorn is a beta tester. And Im sure all beta testers know its no longer longhorn, its actually Windows Vista. In fact this is what Microsoft has on their website:
First of all if you clicked my gallery you would see i have screenshots of my longhorn dvds , I go to great lenths to obtain them from pivate collectors

As for my expirence with linuk i would seriously own you with a screenshot of my bookshelf i have every build of windows that has ever left the MS Labs i mean whistler alphas neptune longhorn to windows 3.1
And ive been using linux since you booted up your first pc why i rembember my knoppinux-neptune setup i had a few years back
As you might have guessed im well aware of the new name

At the end of the day this thread is wait for it..

Have linux distros caught up with a version of windows which is half a decade old

You cant even imagine what ive seen , Not even in your wildest dreams so its no suprise the only distro i use anymore is geexbox
and yeah i know the spelling is terrible

Last edited:
People do notice when you put the extra 5 seconds into using a spellchecker, it makes posts so much easier to read.
My opinion is this:
Linux = great for development, windows can't even touch it, also great for doing office work, with a wide variaty of good, free programms.
However, it's not great for gaming, however, wine gets round this problem fantasticly, my linux box can actually do everything my windows laptop can.
Speaks for it self.
windows = simple to use. Well, its pretty much idiot proof, linux is simple, but certain things can confuse people.
Support is the big issue, linux may have forums ect... but windows has 24/7 support desks, so when you can't find the turn off button on your windows pc, theres some poor person whos job it is to walk you through it.

Oh, another reason to not buy Vista. DRM. Vista is infected with it. You cannot watch HD-media unless you own a special video-card and monitor with HDMI/DVI inputs. ---- DRM.

Originally Posted by Daniel
Efficticly the SR71 Blackbird is crap , weve had it before with the wrightbrothers plane

When the ---- did I say that? I don't make spelling mistakes, so I know I didn't say that.

Linux is not playing catch up with Windows, they are their own niche market. Linux is all-functional, all-efficiency. Not necessarily about user-friendly.

The funny thing is, that 3D/Alpha desktop crap you've linked to has been available through XORG for like, the longest time.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to forget the first rule of forum usage...do NOT feed the stupid trolls. Anyway, you use what you like (need)! It doesn't taste like dogs though :p

As needs change, a so-called perfect operating system will too. Considering the amount of corporate dollars and how many different needs there are, there are no real winners. Only losers.

Before I forget, there is one thing that Linux can have that Windows doesn't, and that is absolute freedom. That is something that Windows will never achieve, given countless examples, such as DRM, and their need to stay afloat as a business. The only thing that will come between Linux and absolute freedom is none other than the government. DMCA for US, DADVSI for France, and more to come from legislative branches in the future.

Last edited:
Back