• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Let me know

neftha

Hello All,

my current host has suspended my account because they consider my postcard service as spam. I tried to convince them otherwise, they even unsuspended it for a couple of hours, then suspended it again. They want me to stop the spam first but hey ... how can I do that if I don't have access to my sites and e-mail. Anyway ... I had enough of it and they damaged my sites and personal communication enough for now.

Can anyone recommend me a (linux) webhost with:

- at least 500mb webspace
- 25 to 30 gb transfer
- php
- cgi/perl
- mysql
- ability to host more than one domain
- plesk or cpanel

My goal is $15.00 a month or less but then again, I am not very fixed on the price and don't care if it is a little bit more.

We can probably recommend a few, but I would like to know what sort of postcard service you have that your host can view it as spam? I, for instance, often get a "Someone has sent you a postcard"! I go to the site and it is from the postcard service itself, trying to drum up business and totally anonymous. I report that.

Properly run postcard services would have the title as (for example) "Jan, you have received a postcard from *someone you know*"

So if you can give us some more insight into what constitutes spam in your hosts eyes, then maybe we can help you :classic2:

Hi Jan,

First of all, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't give you a live example as the account is suspended at this moment, you will have to do with a description.

Basically I run a music star fansite where people can view lyrics, pictures, discographies, biography, etc. One of our features is a postcard service where people can send a postcard to one of their friends or family. It consists of a picture with a personal message from the one who created and sent the postcard. It's very much similar like the the e-card service you can find on Hallmark allthough mine is more simplified.

From what I understand is that someone filed a complaint with my host regarding this service. The hosting company finally suspended my account, regarding it as spam. I replied to them, explaining the situation and they unsuspended the account untill one of the system admins ordered it to be suspended again ... for the same reason: 1 complaint about this service.

I investigated the whole case and found out that my postcard script made an error in sending the correct url (very rare but well, nothing is perfect). The receiver tried to open it, getting an error message "you are not allowed to view this postcard" (the url didn't have the proper password). That's the whole story. The receiver noticed it as spam, the hosting company immediately suspended the account ... based on ONE complaint (a lot of my visitors are actually very happy with this service).

To make my answer complete, this is the hosting company's spam definition:

Use of the service to transmit any unsolicited commercial or unsolicited bulk e-mail is expressly prohibited. Violations of this type will result in the immediate termination of the offending hosting account.

They ordered me to stop the spam but I don't have access to anything, e-mail or sites. They also notified me about the suspension by sending an e-mail message to my account but hey ... because of the suspension I couldn't read it and couldn't respond in time.

Anyway, I hope I made my story clear here. I really disapprove of any form of spam, I would never allowe it, I would never support it. I myself get spammed quite a lot on my e-mail account and I know how annoying it is. I actually am getting quite emotional about this because I am totally reliable from one of the system admins. I even offered to send the correct url to the person who received the postcard so they could check it out themselves but they didn't respond to that. I also offered to suspend the postcard service untill further notice.

I'm fed up with this issue, my complete personal e-mail communication (also hosted on this account) is blocked and I really feel like I shouldn't stay with this company if that is the way they treat customers. In my eyes one is innocent untill proven guilty. Well ... that principle wasn't practiced in my situation.

Last edited:
Hosts may NOT respond to general questions posted by members who are looking for
advice/opinions/suggestions/recommendations on which host to choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back