• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Laptop Shopping

Hobo

I need to buy a laptop before I head off to college and I was wondering where the best deals were these days. Any information would be appreciated.

I would look around on newegg.com . They seem to have the best prices and a HUGE (i mean enormous) selection!

Ebay is pretty good.... Get new, do not buy refurb or used as laptops are sensitive..... I would recommend NC6220 from HP or Dell Latitude.
Do not buy Gateway, Sony, or Dell inspirons.... This is IMHO

ITahmed said:
Ebay is pretty good.... Get new, do not buy refurb or used as laptops are sensitive..... I would recommend NC6220 from HP or Dell Latitude.
Do not buy Gateway, Sony, or Dell inspirons.... This is IMHO

good call on all of that

yer, Ebay is where i got my firt laptop...... Theres an E-Compan on there....."Somthing Computers" cant remember..... but they have a large selection.....

Acer all the way, The are great, cheap and reliable. They are also durable aswell for college. I have an acer with me all the time and have had no problems with it. They are also great on battery aswell. I think mine has 6 hours or something. Enough + More to last the whole day

Don't get a Toshiba, period. Already gone through three laptops on my companies dime. Stupid things like the motherboard all of the sudden became defective, one of them the onboard mouse didn't work and it was also something intermittent on the motherboard. So stear clear of Toshiba, IBM all the way. I like the Panasonic ToughBooks, use them in the field a lot.

utcrazy said:
Don't get a Toshiba, period. Already gone through three laptops on my companies dime. Stupid things like the motherboard all of the sudden became defective, one of them the onboard mouse didn't work and it was also something intermittent on the motherboard. So stear clear of Toshiba, IBM all the way. I like the Panasonic ToughBooks, use them in the field a lot.

i like toshiba..... mine hasnt had anything wrong with it so far. ive had for for awhile aswell...

I dont like sony and compaqu as they have to much custom stuff on there... like there custom difficult set ups and ----.....

Utcrazy you must have gotten a lemon. I'm involved with an organization that has dozens of Toshiba Satallite notebooks. They're fabulous. Nothing wrong with mine, three years old, and all the older/newer ones are running great too. My Toshiba is the best notebook I've ever had. That said, I have replaced the battery after two years. The origanal works fine, but the charge capacity had dimished by about 30%.

I had the Satallite that had the mouse/mobo issues. I also had two others that had been nothing but bull. So three lemons? DOnt' think so, more of a trend. So take my advice, and everyone else's about the battery, no toshiba's!

I personally have seen several problems with Toshiba as of two years ago. They may have addressed those issue but I personally do not know.. Mainly overheating probelms. If you buy a laptop, think of buying extended warranty. It is a good investment.... this is if you have some extra cash

I work as something of a technician, and we see laptops from every brand. From what trends I can notice, steer clear of HP laptops as their hard drives (almost always Seagate brand) seem to not last. I think Gateways aren't half bad, and I used to hate them. Sonys are great, but my personal favorite is Toshiba. They make the best laptops as far as I am concerned, unfortunatly they also put on a lot of crap programs, thats the only downside.

macbook?
dont get macbook pro. They have major overheating problems. It goes up to 80 degres celcius..lemme remind you that around 30 degrees celcius is around 100 farenheit..so you can boil and egg with a macbook :)

repoman said:
macbook?
dont get macbook pro. They have major overheating problems. It goes up to 80 degres celcius..lemme remind you that around 30 degrees celcius is around 100 farenheit..so you can boil and egg with a macbook :)

For some people, that wouldnt be a bad thing :p

Back