• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Just recently noticed this

Schmarvin

Cross Industries
NLC
For the first time since they changed it, I noticed you can now live off of minimum wage. Wow, 7.25/hour is a lot of money! Especially if you work 20-25 hour work weeks. :/

Does anyone else think the cost of living should go up for other jobs on salaries? I know a few people, paid by salary, that haven't had in increase in pay, for over a year now. I'm not talking about job-wise, but for cost-of-living (CoL) expenses. They of course got promotions and such, but no one has gotten a CoL increase in a long time.

What are your thoughts on this? I think we should bump up the CoL output.

No the Cost Of Living shouldn't be increased. I earn a substancial amount of money doing my job in Media, and prefer to use that money for other things, not to pay our already money grabbing government money to live in this country.

I think it's unfair actually, having to pay Council Tax, Electricity, Gas, Water, Broadband, Phone, TV, TV Licenses, and the likes. To be honest the government rip you off, I mean they're charging us brit's more soon so we have to pay to give everyone who doesn't have internet, a 2Mbps connection. Even though I'm on a Fibre Optic connection, I still have to pay for other's internet!

Government's are ----ing dumb, oh I can't wait until I decide to move to Canada... :lol:

I was mainly talking about here in the US. As the UK and most of Europe is expensive to live in all on its own. I don't see the need to move there, lol.

Canada would be nice though.

I make $10/hr and can just barely get by... My fiancee on the other hand makes $10 and combined we do decent xD

I feel the min wage in the US is far to low, I was doing some maths the other day after watching TV.
people getting paid 7$/hour and they are paying the same amount of rent as people in my state in australia.
Our min wage is something like 16$/hour, the job I am about to start is over 20$/hour
and I could easily afford to live by myself on 16$/hour, have drinking money and smoke.
I know some parts of Australia is far more expensive to live but at least here min wage is affordable.
I know that some other things are alot cheaper in the US but I will do a quick typical min wage australian budget for a single person living by themselves.

Rent 300
Food 150
Smokes 100
Power 50-100
Internet say 50
Paytv 50
Fuel 100+

Still well below casual min wage, some fulltime jobs here are total ---- and you would only make 900/fortnight, not enough but thats min min min min min, the lowest form of a job here.

The dole is like 456$/fortnight here.

Biggest issue with raising min wage, everything else gos up...
Thats whats happened in australia, because of all the raises we give ourselves people have to charge more, a bottle of coke is over 2$

Last edited:
At minimum wage I'd be living in my car.

Though, I probably wouldn't be able to afford a spot to park my car.

I feel the min wage in the US is far to low, I was doing some maths the other day after watching TV.
people getting paid 7$/hour and they are paying the same amount of rent as people in my state in australia.
Our min wage is something like 16$/hour, the job I am about to start is over 20$/hour
and I could easily afford to live by myself on 16$/hour, have drinking money and smoke.
I know some parts of Australia is far more expensive to live but at least here min wage is affordable.
I know that some other things are alot cheaper in the US but I will do a quick typical min wage australian budget for a single person living by themselves.

Rent 300
Food 150
Smokes 100
Power 50-100
Internet say 50
Paytv 50
Fuel 100+

Still well below casual min wage, some fulltime jobs here are total ---- and you would only make 900/fortnight, not enough but thats min min min min min, the lowest form of a job here.

The dole is like 456$/fortnight here.

Biggest issue with raising min wage, everything else gos up...
Thats whats happened in australia, because of all the raises we give ourselves people have to charge more, a bottle of coke is over 2$

No, I think our minimum wage is currently too high.

Yes, the minimum wage in the US should be increased. It think its pitiful that we expect anyone to make a living on 7.25 an hour. We need a COLA adjustment as well as a major push for a living wage without big business ripping off our laborers..

[ih]Demetris;1097487 said:
Yes, the minimum wage in the US should be increased. It think its pitiful that we expect anyone to make a living on 7.25 an hour. We need a COLA adjustment as well as a major push for a living wage without big business ripping off our laborers..

Dude...I can easily live off of 7.25/hour.

7.25/hour x 25 hours a week x 4 weeks a month x 12 months a year = $8,700/year

If you budget a small apartment and/or live with another person in that apartment, your set. Living with another person can easily increase your budget for food and other necessities.

Rent for a studio apartment in metro Atlanta near a train or bus line in a cheap neighborhood, $400/mo
Train/bus (MARTA) pass = $60/mo
(((7.25*25)*52)*.76)/12 = $596/mo (part-time)
(((7.25*40)*52)*.76)/12 = $955/mo (full-time)

Here in Georgia, about 24% of your paycheck is gone after federal and state taxes at minimum wage.

Most people working at this level here will be a delivery driver ($5.80/hr avg), fast food industry employee ($7.25, federal minimum) or a bartender/waiter/waitress ($2.13/hr)

Last edited:
$2.13, seriously?!

It's because it's tipped income. A bartender or waiter can pull over $100/night in cash easily if (s)he works in a busy bar or restaurant. More if it's some place expensive like Ruth's Chris Steak House. Delivery drivers are more along the lines of $50/night in cash.

They still have to declare enough tips to meet the $7.25/hr standard, but they'll make more that won't be taxed.

I averaged $17/hr when delivering for a local pizza shop when I combined the $6.00/hr with what I made in cash tips. Most shifts were 4-5 hours long. I delivered to a lot of poor areas that wouldn't tip, though. A friend of mine works as a driver on the east side and makes $20-$25/hr with tips.

Last edited:

If you budget a small apartment and/or live with another person in that apartment, your set. Living with another person can easily increase your budget for food and other necessities.

Even when i was single there was no way i could afford to live of that low of income, what if you want to purchase a car, or anything worth value, that wont happen on minimum wage..

Depends where you live, I suppose.

$8,700 would barely cover a studio apartment here. It wouldn't even leave enough to cover electricity.

Food/car/insurance/gas/parking/cable/internet/phone/etc. would all be out of the question.

---- I pay half that much for health insurance alone

Last edited:
Depends where you live, I suppose.

$8,700 would barely cover a studio apartment here. It wouldn't even leave enough to cover electricity.

Food/car/insurance/gas/parking/cable/internet/phone/etc. would all be out of the question.

---- I pay half that much for health insurance alone

Well, if you get a roomie, then you'd be fine. Well, I doubt that now, since everyone is required to have health insurance, hah.

Well, if you get a roomie, then you'd be fine. Well, I doubt that now, since everyone is required to have health insurance, hah.

Tsk Tsk, misinformation, his situation wouldnt change unless he chose too. He doesnt have to change his plan as per the HCB that went through congress..

So you think the federal government should mandate (by leaving the minimum wage where it is) that people get roommates just so that they can live on their minimum wage? Wow, and you seem upset that people are required to buy health insurance... leaving the minimum wage at a point where the majority of Americans cannot afford to live their own lives is just silly. The current minimum wage is an improvement, but absolutely should be raised.

Back