• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

is this a good domain name?

The attractiveness of a domain lays in the eyes of the beholder.

Do you plan on offering free cpanel? If so, then yes.

I see you have it forwarded to this forum - why ??

because i dediced that i was not going to use it for a week, so i mine as well do something with it, i wanted to see if that feature worked, oh and i didnt buy it, i got it for free, :p im gona host free cpanel once i get ipanel working, mrpanda is gona host me a reseller with it, so it be good.

Personally, I think it's great. But there is a tm infringement issue that would make it pretty worthless on the open market.

^^ I wouldn't be so sure of yourself, though. There have been many cases where companies did win infringement-related claims, even when the domain was just being used on a personal basis, and not for sale.

Yes, it's a pretty clear trademark violation - just like registering MicrosoftForFree.com.

Just sent a message to them via email, to see if they are okay if i use that domain name for a free web hosting company

i was just wondering how cpanelhost.com, cpanelhosting.com, hostingcpanel.com or cpanel-host.com get away with it

what i found funny is freecpanel.net redirects to walmart, :p

Last edited:
Providing the domain name has no commercial impacts for the trademark holder then there are little grounds for a case of "passing off"

I recently had a domain name that was similar to a well-known European airline company
Both domain names had the same first four letters, and both websites used the same font type, text and background colours
They claimed the domain name was "passing off" on their trademark and branding, however the action was dropped prior to going to court when I attended the interim hearing (which obviously they hope many defendants will not attend so that any such case will be in their favour)
My defence was based on the website being used for non-commercial purposes, as could clearly be seen from the websites content

Ironically, I did not renew the domain name and they did not obtain it to prevent such future action

Last edited:
We do not generally have a problem with hosts using the name cPanel in their URLs. Please keep in mind our Trademark Usage Policy at http://www.cpanel.net/trademarkup.htm. While I cannot give you a specific yes or no as I have not seen the content of the site, generally, if you are using cPanel to refer to our products and not as part of a brand or product name, there should not be any issues. If you have any questions about specific content or usage, feel free to ask them or open a ticket with us.
Dave Koston
cPanel

good to go, woot.

you should just ditch the name bro...

Serial Number:

Reg. Number:

Word Mark:
WHM
CP
WEBHOST MANAGER
CPANEL
CPANEL SERVER SUITE

all are live trademarks

get more info here...
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=search&state=p8miv5.1.1

type "cpanel" in the search (without quotes.) :p

i wouldnt mess with a name like that, and just a suggestion, dont point it to FWS. it cpanel finds out about the name, and decides to do something about it. say they go to the site, and get under the impression it has something to do with FWS, you could start something that wasnt intended. dump that name bro.

they said they allow the use of that in domains names for hosting sites, so im good. but i will add another ticket once i get site up to make sure they are okay with it to double verify it, but rate now its redirecting stock, to the site i registered it with. im taking ss of all the tickets so if they decide to do stuff which im sure they wont i can just shut the domain down with no fees.. i just got another asome domain, reseller4free.com

Last edited:
yeah, if you use it, definitely contact them, and make sure to save whatever response you get if it is a yes. good luck.

Serial Number:

Reg. Number:

Word Mark:
WHM
CP
WEBHOST MANAGER
CPANEL
CPANEL SERVER SUITE

all are live trademarks
You can't trademark a number, and you can't trademark an abbreviation either.

You can't trademark a number, and you can't trademark an abbreviation either.

lol, wasnt saying the number was trademarked. was showing the serial number for the trademark for whm, and obviously it can be trademarked when whm is trademarked. if you follow the link i posted, you may understand and not ask questions that show you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. follow the link, and if you got questions, ask then bro. ;)

link works for me, but, if it is to difficult for you to understand how to go to a homepage when a link isnt working, not sure what to tell you. all i know is you need to stop talking without knowing. if something is trademarked, it will hold up in any court. i never said a number could be tradmarked, i just said the numbers were the serial numbers in reference to the trademark, so, ignore them if they are causing you confusion.

make it more simple...
http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm
click the link on the right side that says "Search"
then, on the next page, 3rd link down, click...
"Free Form Search (Advanced Search)"
then, in the search box, type cpanel. pretty simple. didnt think it was rocket science, but, could be wrong.

as for numbers, i have no clue how that is handled, i just know what i see on the site. and whm, yes, abbreviation, but, trademarked.

Squad-Host.com, that's awesome they said you could use it. I think it will be a good name now that that is cleared up. Good luck with it! :)

Back