• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is Taiwan a country?

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
OK, I just thought we needed a "discussion" thread that is NOT about the war. Do you guys think Taiwan is a country?

Personally, I do not recognize them as a country, and most of the countries in the world don't either. But I have no problem with geographers who label Taiwan as a country. But my argument is that if you include Taiwan, you sure as hell better include Palestine! Palestine is more deserving of being a country than Taiwan, but because of the Jewish control over much of American business, only Israel is listed. The same goes with the Western Sahara, New Caledonia, Norfolk Island, Kurdistan, Kashmir, and Montenegro. So to sum it up, I do not disagree with anyone who recognizes Taiwan as a country, as long as they recognize all, or at least most, of the above as countries as well. :)

Taiwan is NOT a country..... the ROC is, and Taiwan is a part of the country ROC (Republic of China).

There is only one China -- the People's Republic of China. The Republic of China used to pertain to the entire China, until the KMT got kicked out by the CCP. After the KMT moved to the island of Taiwan, the Republic of China pertained to Taiwan, but now that too has been abolished with the fall of the KMT. Now the only question that remains is, "Is Taiwan a country?"

BTW, as an addendum, there are countries than recognize Taiwan as a country, but there are none that recognize the "Republic of China" as I know.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
There is only one China -- the People's Republic of China.
That's what you say... here, everybody agrees that there is one China, except we're talking about ROC, not PRC... in other words, there is only one ROC, and only one PRC, just like there is only one USA...

This is an official agreement between both governments. The three things we agreed on are:
1. There is only one China.
2. Taiwan is a part of China.
3. Everyone speaks for themselves. (this isn't translated very well)

So, you say yours, I say mine, everybody's right.
After the KMT moved to the island of Taiwan, the Republic of China pertained to Taiwan, but now that too has been abolished with the fall of the KMT.
Unlike the PRC, we have a democracy system running here. KMT is simply a political party. Its not being in office doesn't mean anything. ROC is still ROC, and still exists.
Now the only question that remains is, "Is Taiwan a country?"
Again, no, as stated before.

I can tell you something... nobody here is going to care anyway. Just about everyone on this board is from a country with literally no problems with its existence, and they aren't going to give a shit about Taiwan, especially some stupid issue such as whether or not it's a country. It doesn't affect them at all. So it's pretty useless debating about this irrelevent issue here... won't change anything for anyone.

Originally posted by Jan
Look for Taiwan in this drop down list :p

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

And conker, with your knowledge of world affairs, I am surprised you even asked the question?

Jan, and perhaps with your observant eyes, you might have noticed that Taiwan is listed at the very bottom for a very good reason -- they don't want to offend China. Also, the CIA has a section on "Independence" for most countries and regions. It has "surprisingly" been omitted for Taiwan. I look at the factbook almost everyday, and it lists both countries and regions. Surely you would not consider Bassas da India, a tiny little unihabited island (I think it's 0.2 sq. km) that loses half of its area doing high tide, a country? And with you being Australian, I highly doubt that you consider Norfolk Island to be an independent state? :)

This is an official agreement between both governments. The three things we agreed on are:
1. There is only one China.
2. Taiwan is a part of China.
3. Everyone speaks for themselves.
Heh, that agreement was useless because it could be interpreted both ways.

And LeX, we're only debating this because I'm damn sick of all those war threads. Why don't you come up with a new discussion thread? :p

Heh, that agreement was useless because it could be interpreted both ways.
Exactly. Nevertheless, it's an official agreement, so anything both sides say is politically correct. ;)
And LeX, we're only debating this because I'm damn sick of all those war threads. Why don't you come up with a new discussion thread? :p
Um, can't think of one. I'll just go back to lurking then.

And with you being Australian, I highly doubt that you consider Norfolk Island to be an independent state? :)
No I wouldn't, because it is a territory, as is the "state" that I live in :p

It, um, is part of the world...
The Arctic Ocean is the smallest of the world's five oceans (after the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, and the recently delimited Southern Ocean). The Northwest Passage (US and Canada) and Northern Sea Route (Norway and Russia) are two important seasonal waterways. A sparse network of air, ocean, river, and land routes circumscribes the Arctic Ocean.
I don't see anything in the factbook that says it's only countries - and independant countries at that - that can be listed.

We have actually lost potential clients over this. It seems the people of Taiwan dont consider themselves a part of China...and they actually get offended about it. In our signup, on the drop down list of countires, we have "Taiwan, Province of China", and have heard quite a bit about it. We will be taking the "Province of China" part off of it. Considering Taiwan has it's own government leadership, economy, and busines......if the people there dont consider themselves part of China, then neither do I.

Seems to me China is simply holding them hostage.

OK, I just thought we needed a "discussion" thread that is NOT about the war. Do you guys think Taiwan is a country?

Personally, I do not recognize them as a country, and most of the countries in the world don't either. But I have no problem with geographers who label Taiwan as a country. But my argument is that if you include Taiwan, you sure as hell better include Palestine! Palestine is more deserving of being a country than Taiwan, but because of the Jewish control over much of American business, only Israel is listed. The same goes with the Western Sahara, New Caledonia, Norfolk Island, Kurdistan, Kashmir, and Montenegro. So to sum it up, I do not disagree with anyone who recognizes Taiwan as a country, as long as they recognize all, or at least most, of the above as countries as well. :)

yes. my country IS a country. We have EVERYTHING that composed of a country: a independent government, our own constitutions, our own laws, , our own elections, our own armies, and our own embassadors to different countries. our own land and our own citizens.

The only people who don't recognise us is China and its bullying.

Axis of Evil: China, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Russia and Syria (headed by China)

Last edited:
Originally posted by X-Istence
i dont consider it a country, but what do the people of taiwan have to say about that?

we don't really care a damn of what you think. Because the only people who we care about are the Taiwanese and people of political importance.

by the way, conk, just because CHINESE want to force everyone in the world into thinking the same as they do, they have not captured the most important thing: the hearts of Taiwanese.

Bullying and trying to talk someone's home into your owning will not work.

Originally posted by allanh
we don't really care a damn of what you think. Because the only people who we care about are the Taiwanese and people of political importance.

by the way, conk, just because CHINESE want to force everyone in the world into thinking the same as they do, they have not captured the most important thing: the hearts of Taiwanese.

Bullying and trying to talk someone's home into your owning will not work.

Uhm, i was just saying, that i myself dont consider it a country, and i was wondering what the taiwanese themselves thought of themselves as.

And with your post i found it quite a set back from what i had seen from you, and your posts. No need to attack me.

X-Istence

Originally posted by X-Istence
Uhm, i was just saying, that i myself dont consider it a country, and i was wondering what the taiwanese themselves thought of themselves as.

And with your post i found it quite a set back from what i had seen from you, and your posts. No need to attack me.

X-Istence

ok, my apology. but I find it pretty offensive when people don't recognise your country.

once again, no bad meanings. But the point is that Taiwanese DO regard our country highly.:)

Back