• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is Perl dead?

Theo

Is there anything that Perl can do better than PHP or ASP?
Does it worth learning Perl now?

I believe Perl is supposed to be much better at string processing than just about anything else that exists. If you're doing a lot of text manipulation you'll probably want to use it.

PHP and ASP are specialized languages, designed to ease and streamline certain areas of programming (Web). Perl is a general language that can be used in just about any field, and a very powerful one at that. But, with its broadness and power comes a level of complexity greater than that of specialized languages like PHP and ASP. I don't consider it hard, though. Then again, I've always been programming in it and I guess if it is hard I'm just accustomed to it and don't recognize how difficult it is. Perl is far from dead, in the end it will probably out live all of 'em.

If you learn Perl you'll know PHP, they're essentially the same language with only a few major differences.

I have heard that PHP is faster than Perl. But, I think truthfully, Perl can be just as fast. Most set ups of Perl aren't as good as PHP, so PHP tends to process faster. I know a little of both, and they are pretty much the same. PHP is more suited for web based use. It has some commands and functions that cut down a few lines you would need if you used Perl. I would recommend doing stuff in PHP, but look at a little Perl too. Basically, the only limitations of what you can do with both is your imagination. There are numerous ways to solve any problem.

I know both and will invariably choose Perl over PHP unless the situation strictly demands otherwise.

The way i see it, if a langauge was created especially for the web it must be better for the web.

For example a huge 4x4 truck might be able to go into many different places and terrains and do a lot more jobs, but if you need a car only to drive in a busy european city, then you might be better off if you get a small car.

Back