• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is paid advertising a good idea for a forum?

cococomics

I am trying to do as much as I can to promote my forum site and I was just wondering if paid advertisement was a good idea to help a forum get started growing and active. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

advertising

cococomics said:
I am trying to do as much as I can to promote my forum site and I was just wondering if paid advertisement was a good idea to help a forum get started growing and active. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

you could join a multitude of forums, create a sig line, and get to work,
if you have the time for that sort of thing...I promoted a business once,
lost a lot of money on advertising to no end...just my opinion...

To promote a forum only paid advertising won't be sufficient. You need a substantial no. of active members to make the forums look active. Once you have a good no. of active members who visit and post regularly then you can advertise through which you will get traffic and eventually new members. Advertising an inactive forum will be a waste of money.

martin ewing said:
To promote a forum only paid advertising won't be sufficient. You need a substantial no. of active members to make the forums look active. Once you have a good no. of active members who visit and post regularly then you can advertise through which you will get traffic and eventually new members. Advertising an inactive forum will be a waste of money.

I agree with this one, i own a computer science forum for bcs/mcs students and they are active all the time and post a lot. I guess it also depends on your content. I get ppl that want to advertise with us 1/2 a week and i go to webmaster sites for linkexchanges.. buy/sell links etc. It's very profitable (atleast my site is)

How many members do you think is a good base before any advertising is done. Also do you have any advice on drawing in active members?

It's not the number of active members that you want. You could have a forum with 20 members, but if they are active beyond belief, it's better than 100 members that don't really post all that much. What you need is content. Content is the biggest thing when it comes to building a forum. Without content, potential members will think your forum is inactive and then leave, not wanting to join a forum that is inactive. Now...I am willing to offer you some help and advise you a little bit if you'd like. I've been doing forums for a couple years now and I know a trick or two. Contact me on AIM if you'd like: JediGiants and we can talk.

I agree with what has been mentioned above. It's not the no. of members that matters, its the no. of active members that matters who can get the conversations going and make the place look busy. It's the activity on forums that entices the visitors to join and post. Nobody will be willing to join an empty or an inactive forum.

Back