• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is it possible to change domain on your host?

pin0i

I signed up with Superior-Host a while back ago. I wanna change my domain url but keep the host. Just wondering if anyone would know if I can change the url on my host instead of cancelling my account there and re-registering.

Thanx

I think you will need another account.
Tim visits this board from time to time but I would drop him a line and ask.

Your host will be able to point a second domain to the same website account.

I just did this for someone who wanted to change his sites name and it was an easy solution.
We are running the two for a while and will delete the DNS entry for the original one when the new name becomes established.

Gordon

Alternatively, you could delegate your new domain name to a free dns hosting service like myinternet.com and if your account has a static IP, modify your settings in myinternet.com so that the new domain points to that IP address.

Why dont you email Superior host and ask them? Some hosts do not have a problem doing this, but some have a lot of problem.

The only problem that is likely to arise is if the host is using the Alabanza automation software.
If the ref domain does not match the domain that was originally set up on the account then the counter scripts etc will show an error because that domain does not have access.

I think the only way round this is to close the account and set up a new one, but I might be wrong.

Gordon

Gordon, wasn't Tim one of the ones who decided to switch to VDI? I can't remember if he said partially or fully, no maybe I'm getting him confused with someone else (not at all)?

Chicken, Tim did change over to Ultraspeed, as I recall. I don't know if he's completed the changeover yet or not, but in our last conversation he told me he was gearing up to make the moves.

Gordon, I won't go into all the technical stuff behind Alabanza's controls, but you can change the domain name on an existing account. We've done it successfully a few times for those clients who changed their minds, or had a different domain they wanted to develop first. It's usually rather painless. The counter issue is one minor setting by the host and eliminates the error message that the system generates.

Back