• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is it me, or has hosting prices went WAAAAY down?

Sain Cai

Beautiful Daddy
NLC
I remember back in 2001 when I got my first paid host & domain name, I asked for like 500mb space & 7gb transfer for $50/yr. Most said that was too much and whatnot, yet I did have hosting. Sadly they went out of biz right after I renewed my "lease". I did get reimbursed for the time left.

Now I see offers from many companies offering upwards of 25 gb transfer for less then what I paid back then? Is this now a common practice?

I think the problem here is many hosts are trying hard to compete against each other, thus providing the cheapest hosting possible for the largest specs possible.
It is a sad thing really because at the end of their server or reseller lease they will more than likely not have anough money to pay for a renewal and end up being in debt with their clients instead of their clients owing them money.
It also makes it difficult for those who charge standard prices to get clients.

Sain Cai said:
Now I see offers from many companies offering upwards of 25 gb transfer for less then what I paid back then? Is this now a common practice?

Well there are lots of factors that come in here and you can about take your pick. Yes, hosting just gets cheaper but so does the qulaity of their service.
Take a look around here or other big forums, directories and then do a little research on some of the companies. Its absolutley nothing now days for a co. to open up and be gone within a 30-60 day range. I was shocked the other day to browse a forum at webhostingtalk.com and see the growing numbers of co. "for sale"
Some are brand new anyway but just want "out"

Honestly when some of these co. OFFER a reseller account for 10 bucks or less and then ALLOW unlimited domains, you can imagine how many folks will sign up (hey they can run their own business for 10.00 month!!) but boyyy, watch the problems unfold. :shame:
Plans like that just dont have much meaning if you are thinking "long term, stability, etc. etc"

Good luck in your search, but remember to do as much research on your potential host as possible. :classic2:

I don't think all hosts have dropped their price to that low. The two extremes tend to drop their price to such a low price. The extremes being the really small 1 man companies and the extremely large hosting corporations. The average medium sized host still offers what you got in 2001 for pretty much the same price.

computerhelpworld said:
The average medium sized host still offers what you got in 2001 for pretty much the same price.

Well we started in 99. Whats amazing holds true for us with your comment above. They STILL use less than 50-100mb space and 5gb BW is more than enough. Of course you will have exceptions but my advice to those is if you know you are going to be needing a lot of space, BW, (list can go on)
then look to something abit different for your solution (vps, dedicated, etc)
We are still focused on shared hosting enviroment.

A lot of it is the resouce you're looking for.
http://igchosting.com is all Windows. We've dropped our prices $2 in the past 5 years.

http://primitivehosting.com is Linux, but High Performance. You get what you pay for.

http://chargertek.com is strictly for resellers and dedicated servers. We need to be competitive, otherwise we are useless.

http://officialfreedom.com is a lower end machine, but stable and built adequately, cheaper resource, cheaper expense, cheaper price.

This is just a few examples I thought I'd add.

ok I took a look at the chargertek site and saw someone has a plan that offer 15gb space and 300gb transfer for only $60 a yr?
:confused4

What the heck is that about?

What?!

Oh yes, no one ever buys those.

No Cpanel,
No Fiber,
Limited Resources.

It's just big, heavy, empty, servers meant for developers.

One sale covers the ROI on the system

Last edited:
also if i may add, high end servers do end up becoming a bit cheaper so it means less of a price for the customer. but watch out for those extremely cheap hosts with big resources cause they can go down

hottweelz said:
primitivehosting.com is Linux, but High Performance. You get what you pay for.

hottweelz :confused4
primitive is NOT expensive at all. A buck for 50mb. I would call that dirt cheap.

Martie said:
hottweelz :confused4
primitive is NOT expensive at all. A buck for 50mb. I would call that dirt cheap.

By today's standards, that's horribly expensive. I've seens hosts offer 5GB for $1 in this very forum.

But, with James, I understand why. Primitive runs on great servers.

Tree said:
By today's standards, that's horribly expensive. I've seens hosts offer 5GB for $1 in this very forum.

But, with James, I understand why. Primitive runs on great servers.

Expensive? Well it really doesnt leave much per profit per account when you factor in support, billing fees and everything else associated with running a business, BUT...whatever floats your boat!
:wave: Sorry...got off topic there!

People seem to think that this industry is a get rich quick, and they think by selling small packages, more people will buy...NOT true. If anything it will lower you chances of getting loyal customers.

Back