• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is it just me, or....

there are plenty of forums that see a ton of activity. i believe some of you are being a bit premature by sounding the death knell for forums.

forums > social networking

IMHO Forums=asking, learning, teaching (sharing info)
Social Networks=share photos, chat, and even dating (I've read that many teenagers in UK were dating with users from Facebook and even did unprotected s3x)

there are plenty of forums that see a ton of activity.
Well sure, but I'd still say forums in general are less popular now than they were 8-10 years ago. All of the boards I used to frequent are only a mere shell of their former selves.

Obviously that's not always the case. One of the games I play still has over 4,000 users online on their forums at any given time, but I still think that's an exception rather than the rule.

Look at email. Outside of the business world, I'd say that's been on the decline for years too. Does anyone even write personal emails anymore? I can't remember the last time I did. I'll just text, tweet, or poke them instead :lol:

Well sure, but I'd still say forums in general are less popular now than they were 8-10 years ago. All of the boards I used to frequent are only a mere shell of their former selves.

Obviously that's not always the case. One of the games I play still has over 4,000 users online on their forums at any given time, but I still think that's an exception rather than the rule.

Look at email. Outside of the business world, I'd say that's been on the decline for years too. Does anyone even write personal emails anymore? I can't remember the last time I did. I'll just text, tweet, or poke them instead :lol:

could it be that the forums that you used to frequent died out because of a lack of interest in the topic(s) rather than a general decline in forums? i am aware of the decline in email usage, i've seen data on that. but i have yet to come across any stats that would indicate forum usage has declined over the years.

IMHO Forums=asking, learning, teaching (sharing info)
Social Networks=share photos, chat, and even dating (I've read that many teenagers in UK were dating with users from Facebook and even did unprotected s3x)

so if we were take this as a given, which would appear to be a fad and which would would appear to have longevity?

i dunno about you but i got over the social networking thing fast. there is only so much interest i have in pictures of chicks with pucker faces and useless status updates. i DGAF about 99.9% of the stuff on my facebook. really the only useful thing on there is the event invite feature. i would be out of the loop without that.

twitter > facebook

I'd guess that one reason that there's less activity here in general is because of the decline of personal sites. Personal sites aren't as prevalent as they used to be since you can just link together Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, etc and you never actually need web hosting to show your friends everything you could want online. Back around 2000, there was a lot less options for that, so more people made sites themselves, and they needed hosting (either cheap or free), so they came here in search of it.

People don't need as much personal web hosting, so the personal web hosting community has declined.

But that's just a guess.

could it be that the forums that you used to frequent died out because of a lack of interest in the topic(s) rather than a general decline in forums? i am aware of the decline in email usage, i've seen data on that. but i have yet to come across any stats that would indicate forum usage has declined over the years.

Can you link to the email data?

I think, people are getting way too busy to do any posting anywhere....just like me, i have come here after sooo long!!
Hope, i can be more regular here.

Back