• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is anyone still using anything below Windows XP?

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why not XP. I am using XP and I like it. I like XP because it is more classic and useful.

i gotta ask the question...
@DuncanCox, how is XP more useful than say, Windows 7?

and classic? i would say 2000, 98, and 95 are more classic than XP, just my opinion of course.

as for the OP question, i am unfortunately stuck to using XP Pro at work, but, other than that, i have vista on a machine at home that is used as a server for my movies and music. other than that, i use Mac. My trusty old G4 is going to take over mover serving and my laptops are for anything else.

Windows 2000 made a very stable NT based server platform back in the day for those who wanted an Windows box. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still quite a few Win2K boxes in use. It's certainly more cost efficient than buying Windows Server 2003 or 2008 licenses, by far.

Windows 2000 made a very stable NT based server platform back in the day for those who wanted an Windows box. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still quite a few Win2K boxes in use. It's certainly more cost efficient than buying Windows Server 2003 or 2008 licenses, by far.

Her PC is about 12 years old and runs still pretty good. We have upgraded the ramm, but thats about it.

I guess Window 98 is still young. People are using it and it is still working fine.Microsoft is also providing customer service for Window 98.

I guess Window 98 is still young. People are using it and it is still working fine.Microsoft is also providing customer service for Window 98.

Heh whoa!
From Wikipedia -
Microsoft support for Windows 98 ended on 11 July 2006.

Also, software vendors are increasingly ending support for it too.

A couple of months ago I removed windows 98 from a computer
that my brother had been using. The problem was that the specs
of the computer were so low that it was nearly useless anyway.
(64 mb RAM, 6 GB HDD) I installed an old version of Ubuntu
Server on it and used it for a while as a development server,
but now it has been retired for good. I still have the parts, though.

The way I see it, most of the computers that had 98 on it, simply are
too old. And if you've got a newer computer, then why on earth
put win 98 on it? If you had, say 256-512 MB RAM, you wouldn't run
win 98 but win2K, XP, or lightweight Linux distros.

2000 is the only Win OS I remember caring for. It played Dungeon Keeper 2 perfectly :) If it had wifi support, I wouldn't mind dropping Windows 7 off the laptop.

What would be a reason of using something at the technologies which are currently unsupported? Maybe only as the museum exhibit...

A business I did some networking work for at some point was and still is using Windows 2000 and the associated server series. They moved to XP at one point and had nothing but problems with the networking aspect. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Windows 2000 worked every time without issue.

The second factor was that their computers were outdated. Windows 2000 ran great. Windows XP slowed the computers to a crawl. When you factor in the costs of updating hardware, updating software, OS licenses, etc. across a business environment, sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Back