• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

InvisionBoard hacked

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I got a russian popup when visiting InvisionBoard.com and I saw reports on their forum that they had been hacked. Also, someone claimed that his own forum also showed a popup. Now the main page of invisionboard can't be reached. I hope it gets fixed shortly.

No, no... I use Invisionboard for one of my other sites. FreeWebspace.net will be using vBulletin. I think it is much better.

The site is back again, but I beleive they have removed the thread in which it was reported that they got hacked. I can't see any info at all about it... :confused2

Originally posted by Peo
The site is back again, but I beleive they have removed the thread in which it was reported that they got hacked. I can't see any info at all about it... :confused2

conspiracy?

I think they just don't want people to know about it, but it sure would be nice to know why it happened, if the problem have been fixed and if there will be a new version of the forum software to fix the problem? For me it looked like it only affected the main page of the site, but someone on their forum reported that his forum got hacked too... Ah, well it's good that we are using vBulletin here.

Originally posted by cowax
I beg to differ... take a look at UBB...

And why must we bring up old topics?

LoL, UBB is such a piece of garbage, I have a friend that ran one for ages but recently changed it 2 an Invasion Board as he got sick of it playing up & running slow!! :doh!:

I run InvisionBoard and I really like it so far. The newest version seems to have a lot of the features that VB does.

Originally posted by Mandrake
The newest version seems to have a lot of the features that VB does.

I can't believe some people would compromise network security to have a few lousy features that don't do much and are just to look "cool." I still think phpBB2 is above IPB. Security, open-source, speed, and simplicity.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Peo
No, no... I use Invisionboard for one of my other sites. FreeWebspace.net will be using vBulletin. I think it is much better.

vBulletin is best because you need to pay and Invision Power Boards is free

Well, phpBB2 has vulnerabilities...they all do. That's what upgrades are for. You can't expect an opensource software product to be completely free of exploits, not to mention one that is being given away for free...

vBulletin is by far the best bulletin board system avaliable, and the fee required to purchase it is the only downfall.

Invision Board is close, it's far far better than phpBB as it's template system is advanced, they have kept security and speed in mind since the start, and its an all round scalable and powerful bb system.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
Well, phpBB2 has vulnerabilities...they all do. That's what upgrades are for. You can't expect an opensource software product to be completely free of exploits, not to mention one that is being given away for free...

Open-source software is usually put through the most vulnerability testing since everyone can get their hands on it for free including hackers. It's much harder to hack something if you don't know the source code. Plus, since open source products generally have no deadlines, those projects won't released "half-@$$ed" code.

Originally posted by Velocified
vBulletin is by far the best bulletin board system avaliable, and the fee required to purchase it is the only downfall.

Invision Board is close, it's far far better than phpBB as it's template system is advanced, they have kept security and speed in mind since the start, and its an all round scalable and powerful bb system.

If you know how to template well, you should be able to do just about everything you want to do with or without a forgiving template system. Security should be the #1 aspect of any web software, without security than any other features a program offers are completely useless.

Off-Topic...

We have come WAY off topic. This was originally about a Invisionfree hack right? By the way, IPB is excellent:p It needs a good PAID domain host though (I don't like invisionfree, sorry!)

they are all depending on whether you keep updating all vulnerable loophole

my vbulletin website was hacked 2 years ago ... luckily the hacker is very nice to let me know where the problem is.

Back