• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Interesting Jurisdiction Issue

Do you feel they had the authority to remove the sites content?

• Yes, they had the authority to do such.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No, the server wasn't located there.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
As they used his computer and password to delete the account, and that computer was located within the Italian border, they were (it seems to me) acting within their jurisdiction... The servers were located in the US, and they had no jurisdiction to order the host to close the site, but as they acted entirely inside of their country, the US constitutional protections don't apply.
However on the second case, I don't believe that the Australian legal system has the jurisdiction to pursue a lawsuit against a foreign company for an article published on a foreign server as none of the incidents occured on Australian soil.
Likewise with the French suit against Yahoo... They may prohibit the shipment of the items to France, and possibly go as far as blocking all access to yahoo.com from French pipelines, but they lack the jurisdiction to proscribe items offered for sale on foreign soil.
The internet is an international medium, and (in my opinion) the national or local laws regarding content may be applied to content placed on servers within the governing legal authority, and the posting of content by citizens or residents of that jurisdiction, may be regulated by the laws of that location. But their jurisdiction must end at their national borders. If this is not true, then any and all local laws and regulations are subject to interpretation by any other location, which would make every netizen subject to prosecution under the laws of every petty feifdom world wide.

Back