• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

(.+?) in PHP

Dusty

NLC
NLC
Scenario:

There's a variable containing something like this: "<aaa><bbb>". The object is to find what's between the first two brackets. In Perl, this could be done like this:

$var="<aaa><bbb>";
$var=~/<(.+?)>/;
$result=$1;

My question is, how is this done in PHP? I know:

$var="<aaa><bbb>";
ereg("<(.*)>", $var, $out);
$result=$out[1];

But * is greedy, so instead of "aaa" it gives "aaa><bbb". I tried replacing (.*) with (.+?) but apparently you can't do that in PHP. So, how do you do it?

Okay...

Okay, so no one knows. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who might know?

In case anyone else was reading...

I just thought I'd post a follow-up in case anyone else was following the thread:

There is no (.+?) equivalent in PHP and if anyone tells you PHP is as powerful as Perl, you have my permission to give them a good throttling. The only thing PHP is good for, as far as I'm concerned, is database manipulation-- and even then it has its limitations. Easy and fast, maybe, but that's a poor excuse for lack of functionality. I'm just waiting for Perl 6.

POSIX != Perl

I just thought I'd reply to this goddamned idiot.

Why the hell are you trying to use Perl crap with the POSIX regular expression functions? If you need to use PERL-COMPATIBLE regex, use the damn PERL-COMPATIBLE REGEX FUNCTIONS, you moron.

I don't usually flame people on message boards, but when some clueless Perl idiot talks s**t about PHP because he's too damn stupid to read the manual I just can't resist.

And here's how to write your stupidass code...

$var="<aaa><bbb>";
preg_match("/<(.+?)>/",$var,$out);
echo $out[1];

PS: Stick with Perl, loser.

Finally!

Finally someone answered me! I figured if I angered you PHP people enough you'd reply, but I didn't think it would be that quick. I ought to do that more often.

Ask a question and get no answer, but say it can't be done... well, thanks Woofy.

Oh, just to add

I did read the manual, it was the first place I checked. However, the manual really isn't all that helpful and doesn't say that much (but you can see that for yourselves, http://www.php.net/manual/function.ereg.php and http://www.php.net/manual/function.preg-match.php). The most helpful parts of the manual are the user contributed notes. That's not insulting PHP (I only did that to get an answer), I don't find any manual helpful.

The usual way I would had gone about finding out how would had been to download a bunch of free scripts and look for how they did it, but of all the scripts I looked through none of them did anything similar to what I wanted. So, I posted my question (in an easy to follow scenario situation at that) on here, on SitePoint, and on a few other forums I'd never been to before. No one answered me (that's not true, I did get one response at SitePoint but it didn't actually answer my question). So I tried coaxing an response rather than asking for one. Luckily, that method worked. Otherwise I would of had to try to figure it out for myself.

Happy new year, everyone.

Back